Re: Annihilation (2018)

Postby Belerofonte » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:32 pm

New affiche (for Netflix France):

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf8_d6-jWfq/
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:26 pm

Guy Lodge for “The Guardian”:

Was Annihilation too brainy for the box office?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/m ... ex-machina
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Belerofonte

Postby Snarl » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:02 pm

Being kind of a sci-fi fan, I was curious about Annihilation, so after the 12th I sat down and watched it twice in the last two days. Liked it both times.

7/10 -- from me is actually a pretty high score. (Forget imdb or rottentomatoes, their rating system is incompatible with this.)

Props to Alex Garland for putting a story on screen which he personally found intriguing as opposed to what the producers (and probably himself too) would expect the majority of casual moviegoers would want to see. A gutsy move in this day and age, and a clear sign of a devoted artist (a dying breed, sadly :() who refuses to relegate himself to the level of a commonplace merchandiser.

Speaking of which, I am sick of those people responsible for movie trailers that totally misrepresent the actual movie. They are lying to the public to get as many folks as possible show up at the theaters in hope of making some extra bucks of them. This in turn leads to a completely undeserved, unjustified backlash against the film, hatred and bad word of mouth coming from children and other mental midgets, who expected a lollipop and got a book instead, screaming "I don't get this!" "This is SHIT!" ... By the way, they tricked me as well into thinking the movie would have a significant amount of action/horror in it, when in fact there are very few parts which would fall in either of those categories. But ultimately I ended up not missing them that much at all.

So what we have here is a sci-fi drama (who's still shocked that it's slow?) with a strong underlying element of a private life crisis which serves as the backbone of the story. Many of the unfolding, at first glance unrelated events become symbolic for that personal crisis. I don't agree with the opinion that the other supporting roles should have had more characterization, screentime or weight in the story. This was obviously centered around the couple with the military background. Spending more time with the side characters would've made the film lose focus. I thought the flashbacks were well timed and never felt out of place.

In the wake of the #metoo campaign, I'd like to point out that this movie should not be condemned for its choice of utilizing an all-female cast in the main roles. There are some problems with the story, this is not one of them. However, on a side-note I must add that I genuinely oppose those tendencies of the movement which often cause women to "fall down on the other side of the horse." You can't effectively dispell an extreme condition favorable mostly for one side by trying to establish a new extreme condition in favor of the other side -- it will always end up in a whole lot of discontent. That's my opinion (and for instance, the current political cesspool in my country is the proof that the same goes for non-gender politics as well.)

Natalie did great, all of the actors did. I wouldn't say she was a badass but she was fairly believable in the role. Which is more than what I expected in this case.

I personally had no problem deciphering the message of the film. Don't think it is that hard to grasp either. But I'm not going to start explain it because I believe everyone should have the chance to discover the meaning of art for themselves. Even though I know that many were left puzzled and confused by the ending, or flat-out saw no point in the whole movie at all, accusing the writer-director of "having smoked pot" or disrespecting them by not giving straight answers... Hahaha! For me, disrespect is the exact opposite: when everything is spelled out in lengthy expositions, leaving nothing to your imagination, and insulting the viewer's intelligence by spoon-feeding all the answers as if the viewers were all newborn babies. That is disrespect. And leaving the audiences with a vague, ambigious ending has a long history in cinema, it doesn't mean Garland's intent was to leave the door open for a sequel. As a matter of fact, I highly doubt it ever crossed his mind that this story would need to be continued.

For at least 2 decades now they kept telling us over and over again how insanely realistic special effects have become... and I still don't care about the CGI. I can tell after just a couple of frames that it's nothing but a computer generated cartoon's image stretched over certain parts of the real footage of the camera -- it's because the movement in the animation is unrealistically smooth and they still can't simulate body mass in an authentic way.

All in all this is a very well made sci-fi film which tries to make you think. Not "artsy-fartsy", just artful. And one of the best Portman-films. Definitely in the top 5 for me, maybe even top 3. Although obviously not for "champions" of double digit IQs.

But don't worry, children. You can go back to your sandboxes now. Soon you shall get your next portion of shiny-plastic superheroes tailored to your needs you can marvel at for years to come.

[Just for the record: when I was around 10 (a long time ago), I already thought of superhero characters as lame jokes because they were so overpowered and out of the league of normal human beings that I found them impossible to relate to. And yes, giant transforming extraterrestrial robots were much more believable and stayed truer to the essence of sci-fi than any of these ridiculous pajama-warriors. I'm done eating off the flesh of comic book movie franchise fans. :P]
There's only one thing eternal: change.
Snarl

Postby Belerofonte » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:11 pm

Another behind the scenes photo:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgbrkb2jp38/
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:22 pm

Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:13 pm

Box Office: Natalie Portman's 'Annihilation' To Open Theatrically In China:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 6f45c77f8b
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:23 pm

Great article about the set decoration in the film (with New Photos):

http://www.setdecorators.org/?art=film_ ... NIHILATION

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:31 pm

Chinese Poster:

Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:30 am

'Annihilation' to enter China with a parental advisory:

http://www.ecns.cn/m/2018/04-13/299093.shtml

The new science fiction thriller "Annihilation" has become the second film with parental advisory warning ever to reach Chinese cinemas.

The Chinese distributor of the film, China Film Co., Ltd., released a parent warning poster and trailer Thursday, advising that children and teenagers under the age of 17 should be accompanied by a guardian. China Film Co. also notified all Chinese theaters about the parental advisory weeks ago.

The X-Men franchise film "Logan" was the first film ever screened in China with a similar parental advisory.
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Tue May 15, 2018 7:10 pm

Blu-ray disc especial features detailed:

http://www.slashfilm.com/new-blu-ray-re ... k-panther/

Special Features to Note: I’m thrilled to report that the extensive featurettes including on the Annihilation Blu-ray really do the film justice. I had worried that the poor box office performance would doom the film to a bare bones release. Happily, that’s not the case. Several different featurettes tackle the production from all angles – from adapting the film from Jeff VanderMeer’s book, to casting, to shooting, to special effects.

Alex Garland reveals he was sent the book by a producer, and confesses that while he really enjoyed reading it, he didn’t know how to adapt it. According to Garland, it’s not an obvious book-to-film movie. Ironically, Jeff VanderMeer is also on hand here, and he says he wrote the book in a cinematic style. Go figure.

Garland didn’t want to do a straight adaption – he instead wanted to adapt his subjective experience of reading the book; the feeling of the book, in other words. That makes sense, since beyond the plot, Annihilation the film is drastically different from Annihilation the book.

Some other info gleaned from these featurettes:

-Garland describes the movie as a journey from suburbia to psychedelia. A journey from an objective state to a subjective state.

-The real influence for the film, beyond the book, is “unknown” to Garland, but he also says he was inspired by Alan Moore comics, like Swamp Thing.

-Garland talks about casting the film, and how he wanted each character to have their own energy.
Natalie Portman says how nice it is to be in a film that’s female-driven. And she talks about how the script blew her away.

-Garland has a very interesting take on Portman’s character, calling her both controlled, ordered and structured, but also internally damaged. He praises Portman for able to nail that down on screen.
Garland confesses that before she took the part in the film, Tessa Thompson asked him “fair but confrontational” questions about his previous movie, Ex Machina, and he appreciated that kind of “intellectual courage”

-The film was shot in sequence.

-There’s very little green screen in the movie, and the production used as many practical effects as possible.

-This leads into the best featurette on the disc – one focused on how the crew set about creating the nightmarish mutant bear in the film. Garland tells us that the goal of that was to make audiences feel different than a typical kind of monster attack scene – the monster is in a state of despair and pain; it’s an existential monster in an existential space. Of course, the other goal was to make it scary.

Beyond this, we get to see an animatronic bear head on set, as well as a stuntman wearing a sort of half-formed bear costume. Almost every angle of the scene is covered here, from the stunt work to the staging. Fun fact: it took Garland and company 5 days to shoot just this one scene. Overall, this featurette reminds me of old school videos of people like Tom Savini and Stan Winston showing horror fans how they created their classic movie monsters. It’s a must-see.
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Mon May 21, 2018 4:17 pm

Exclusive clip of the BD extras for Collider:

http://collider.com/annihilation-alliga ... s-features
Belerofonte

PreviousNext

Return to Natalie Portman