Natalie's Education

All things Natalie

Natalie's Education

Postby wheretheheartisrocks » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:41 am

Hi. I'm new!

I'm not really a Natalie fan but i do admire her for essentially being the antithesis of the Hollywood 'It Girl' and continuing her education. Because i'm a total nerd and new to Natalie, i'd like to know a little bit about her education, particularily at high school level. You guys seem to know a lot, do you have an idea of her grades/SAT scores/extra curriculars/AP classes etc? She seems bright and articulate in interviews i've read, but was her place in Harvard earned or was she accepted primarily because she was a successful actress?? I'm a little bit sceptical about celebrities who are admitted into top Ivy colleges, and i've heard that Harvard admits at least one every two years - Tatyana M. Ali and Jonathon Taylor Thomas for instance. I'd like to be proved wrong with Natalie though!!
wheretheheartisrocks

Postby samchez » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:45 am

o man, thats going nearly stalker style :) but off the top of my head she is harvard educated taking phychology. she co-wrote(maybe not co-wrote but she helped) a book with one of her profs, and has written in harvards student news paper as a alumni. she went to Syosset High School and graduated in 1999.

When she was in harvard school came before acting. she did star in a harvard student film however.

welcome to the board
samchez
Site Admin

Postby wheretheheartisrocks » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:03 am

Stalker style?? Really?? Oh no...i'm so not!! I'm just genuinely interested in how she managed to get into Harvard, after all it's quite a feat even with the added bonus of being a 'celebrity'. I couldn't care less about her boyfriends, family etc. I'm not entirely comfortable with my post now :?
wheretheheartisrocks

Postby samchez » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:32 am

its all good, there have been alot worst posts :)
samchez
Site Admin

Postby Anyathe » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:25 am

When she was at Harvard, she smoked weed every day. She cheated every test and snorted all the yay.
Anyathe

Postby JenR » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:53 am

omg i just had Deja Vu.^ :lol: :?
JenR

Postby Jaina » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:52 pm

Anyathe wrote:When she was at Harvard, she smoked weed every day. She cheated every test and snorted all the yay.

Haha. I gotta watch that rap all over again now.

hmmm... apart from what everyone's said, I read that her gpa was around 3.9-4.0 (most say it's 4.0 which is basically perfect... but maybe it's an exaggeration).
Vivre, on veut tous vivre
Sans se haïr, sans en mourir
Vivre et se parler, se respecter et même s'aimer...
Vivre...

"If I could dream at all, it would be about you. And I'm not ashamed of it." - Edward
Jaina

Postby Pasha » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:11 pm

I think she was a very good student, and if she hadn't been famous, she probably would have had a *shot* at getting in, but it most definitely helped. Getting into top colleges is so competitive now, that even students who are phenomenal will end up getting rejected by different places. Looking at the admission statistics of my own school (which is an ivy but not top tier like harvard, yale, princeton), there are tons of valedictorians of their high schools who were rejected. So much of it is just a crap shoot.
And about her gpa at harvard, I think it's feasible that it was very high or near perfect, if only because Harvard in particular has had problems with serious grade inflation. Psychology can also be a relatively easy concentration.
Pasha
Site Admin

Postby Huc » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:43 pm

There was a recent article on MSNBC on her highschool AP exams. IIRC, it was Calc BC, Euro/US history, and Biology(?)

To take Calc BC, you need to pass Calc AB, and with some other AP classes she took, I bet she did put a lot of effort in to her studies. Even if she was not an actress, she would have had a good chance in getting into a good school.
Huc

Postby Jaina » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:11 pm

Pasha wrote:I think she was a very good student, and if she hadn't been famous, she probably would have had a *shot* at getting in, but it most definitely helped. Getting into top colleges is so competitive now, that even students who are phenomenal will end up getting rejected by different places. Looking at the admission statistics of my own school (which is an ivy but not top tier like harvard, yale, princeton), there are tons of valedictorians of their high schools who were rejected. So much of it is just a crap shoot.
And about her gpa at harvard, I think it's feasible that it was very high or near perfect, if only because Harvard in particular has had problems with serious grade inflation. Psychology can also be a relatively easy concentration.

Where are you studying at?
Vivre...

"If I could dream at all, it would be about you. And I'm not ashamed of it." - Edward
Jaina

Postby Pasha » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:59 pm

Jaina wrote:Where are you studying at?

I actually just graduated from Brown. I really loved the school. How about you?
Pasha
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:04 pm

Pasha wrote:I think she was a very good student, and if she hadn't been famous, she probably would have had a *shot* at getting in, but it most definitely helped. Getting into top colleges is so competitive now, that even students who are phenomenal will end up getting rejected by different places. Looking at the admission statistics of my own school (which is an ivy but not top tier like harvard, yale, princeton), there are tons of valedictorians of their high schools who were rejected. So much of it is just a crap shoot.

When I was majoring in psych was when I first discovered drugs (pills, but mostly just weed). So I really only went to class on test days. I took my personality psychology final so high that I'm really surprised I found the building. I answered every question based on common sense, and literally guessed at what the essay topic was talking about, and made some shit up. 100%. Granted I'm really good at that, but even I couldn't get away with that with any real subject.

Also, what these schools are looking for isn't intelligence, but sexy, "liberal," suckass behavior, like volunteer work, and model U.N. and shit (actually, I designed a far more realistic model U.N. involving a somewhat finite supply of water balloons that they were allowed to throw freely, which created a hilarious and accurate series of power vacuums and faulty alliances, that only I found to be a more useful teaching tool). If it were based on I.Q., you'd see a completely different group of people getting in, because excelling in high school has zero to do with how smart you are. It has to do with just how much you're willing to buy into a system of waste and illogic.
Extreme Allah

Postby Jaina » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:27 pm

Pasha wrote:
Jaina wrote:Where are you studying at?

I actually just graduated from Brown. I really loved the school. How about you?

No I actually just graduated from High School. :P

Congratulations! What was your major or whatever? (still unsure about how the US unis work)
Vivre...

Jaina

Postby wheretheheartisrocks » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:05 am

Thanks for replying!!

So, the overall consensus seems to be that she was an intelligent, hard working student who would have been a possible candidate regardless of her fame, but the fact that she was a successful actress definitely contributed towards, was even the reason for, her admittance. Which is fair enough, after all fame in itself is an accomplishment, and at least she seems to have been accepted based on both her academic and acting abilities.

I had no idea what subject she studied, i must admit, when i read psychology my first reaction was 'doss subject' :D I would have guessed she'd have majored in goverment, she seems interested in politics, or perhaps even literature, which seems to be the common choice for actors . [/i]
wheretheheartisrocks

Postby Pasha » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:17 am

Jaina wrote:No I actually just graduated from High School. :P

Congratulations! What was your major or whatever? (still unsure about how the US unis work)

Thanks! I studied philosophy and major is right. :) Do you know what/where you'll be studying?

wheretheheartisrocks wrote:I had no idea what subject she studied, i must admit, when i read psychology my first reaction was 'doss subject' :D I would have guessed she'd have majored in goverment, she seems interested in politics, or perhaps even literature, which seems to be the common choice for actors .

I was actually quite surprised she studied psychology too, especially given that her father is a doctor. Doctors usually don't take psychologists very seriously given that they don't study medicine and can't prescribe medication.
Pasha
Site Admin

Next

Return to Natalie Portman