Thor Discussion Thread

All things Natalie

Postby JenR » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:22 am

^ i've done that A LOT. LOL
JenR

Re: .

Postby maverick88 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:08 pm

Spoonbat wrote:I suppose you're right though in a way. We never do know what the future will hold.

Let's hope for the best. :)

I wish Nat the best too but when is all said and done does it really matter how many gold plated statues named "Oscar" she has? :)
"If it's Sunday, it's Meet The Press" - Tim Russert
maverick88

Postby Garcy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:06 pm

From a Q&A with the president of Marvel Studios, Ken Feige:

Natalie Portman is very much trusting us and Ken Branagh to showcase what a great actress she is, the same actress that we see in her smaller films.

Source
Garcy

Postby Dazza » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:44 pm

Interesting.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Harper » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:02 pm

Good find, Garcy.

I'm curious to see what they do with the Jane Foster character as she sounds rather boring in the comics. On the plus side I guess that will hopefully give them more leeway to make the character more interesting in the film than just obligatory love interest.
"Monkeys were created by God to entertain us. That's all we know..."

Can you fly, Bobby?
Harper

Postby aussietrooper20 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:41 am

for more news on natalie's role in The Mighty Thor, try this sight.

www.Superherohype.com
aussietrooper20

Postby maverick88 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:45 am

:shock: Clones' out of his box again.
"If it's Sunday, it's Meet The Press" - Tim Russert
maverick88

Postby Spoonbat » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Look at this fucker. He's going to crush Nat when he hugs her. :)
Spoonbat

Postby Dazza » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:55 pm

Link doesn't work. But I would imagine Chris is pretty big. Sorta a pre-requisite for Thor.
Dazza
Site Admin

natalie portman AS thor?

Postby WanderinRoy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:59 pm

Carlito Brigante wrote:
but i don't know. i think there's a misconception about thor being just a guy with a cheesy helmet. the modern reimagining of the character actually makes it one of the most interesting comic book stories around right now. having a guy like kenneth branagh giving it a shakesperean approach it's in my opinion a pitch perfect concept and big budget hollywood experiment.

Well, having Kenneth Branagh direct might give me a little hope for this project, but then again Ang Lee wasn’t able to do much for “Hulk”. I don’t follow comic books much, so my first impression was “Isn’t Thor fairly low down of the list of comic book favorites?”

Sort of like in Entourage when they had Vinnie star in a comic book movie of “Aquaman” because the show’s writers knew that Aquaman was kind of a joke among comic book readers. If, as Carlito says, Thor has some artistic values these days, that doesn’t overcome the problem that even the successful comic book movies like the Batman movies, Spiderman, Iron Man etc. have very little for the women in the cast to do. Even if the movie was somehow good I doubt it will be much more than a payday for Nat.

Then again, this could be a brilliant tactical move from our razor sharp, vertically challenged thespian.

Jennifer Connelly won an Academy Award for “A Beautiful Mind”, then did the “Hulk”.
Charlize Theron won an Academy Award for “Monster” then did “Aeon Flux”.
Halle Berry won an Academy Award for “Monsters Ball”, then made “Catwoman”.

Clearly Portman is sending a message to the Academy voters, “Look, I’ve got my ducks in a row. My crappy comic book movie is already lined up, so give me the award for “Brothers” already!”.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities-Voltaire
WanderinRoy

Postby Dazza » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:42 pm

Just gonna have to wait and see with Thor. Its not as big a title as Supes/Spidey/X-Men etc. But to non comic geeks its probably on par with Iron Man, maybe a bit more so.

I do think it'll be a challenge to sell and probably a challenge to get right as well. But stranger things have happened.

Agree that there haven't been many female roles of note in recent superhero films, but the Marvel head did say that Nat was quite demanding that she get a decent character to work with. That and the Branagh factor cast some doubt over the idea of a 100% pay check gig.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Carlito Brigante » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:18 am

ang lee's an excellent point, but the way i see it no acting career has ever been destroyed doing a superhero movie. the hulk actually launched eric bana. even if by some unlikely chance thor turns out to be a flop, gets panned by critics and sweeps the razzies, it's still a win-win for natalie portman.

i mean obviously i want this to be good. but then spiderman 2 was nothing short of a classic and spiderman 3 was the other way around. it can go either way. i think thor has what it takes to be really good.
Carlito Brigante

Postby Dazza » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:21 am

Ang didn't really have anything on his resume to suggest he'd be a good fit, other than the fact he's obviously a good filmmaker. Branagh's literary work might make him a good fit for Thor. Or might not. Really hard to tell at this stage.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Carlito Brigante » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:55 am

on the other hand, jon favreau only had zathura and elf as a director. he did good with visual effects, but that was just about it.

also having the hulk fight off three stupid mutant dogs is not really my idea of a great story. in my opinion, it all comes down to how good the script really is.
Carlito Brigante

Postby Dazza » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:52 am

I'd always take a good director over a good script. A good director can make a weak script work but a weak director can't necessarily make a good script work.

Not that I think Kenny Boy is great. His last film, Sleuth, was very average.
Dazza
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Natalie Portman