*Black Swan Discussion Thread

All things Natalie

Re: *Black Swan Discussion Thread

Postby crazzeematt » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:58 pm

Hey, in case anyone cares, Black Swan and Clint Mansel recieved a Grammy Award nomination!!!! That's pretty cool I think.
crazzeematt

Postby Garcy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:38 pm

That's fantastic news, and well deserved! Almost makes up for being left out of the Oscar race too.
Garcy

Postby Huc » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:57 am

#10 most searched movie on Yahoo Japan
http://searchranking.yahoo.co.jp/rankin ... vieRanking
ブラック・スワン
Huc

Postby thevoid99 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:06 am

Can we temporarily lock this thread until there's a Criterion release for the film on DVD/Blu-Ray?
"I wanna be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal from "Secretary"
thevoid99

Postby Rachel » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:51 am

Black Swan is still the gift that keeps on giving. Two new-old production stills:

Image Image
Rachel

Postby NPortmanFan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:59 am

I absolutely LOVE the one on the right.

And about Clint Mansell: He seriously deserves to win. He's one of my favourite modern composers. He should have won the Oscar for The Fountain. But I digress.
NPortmanFan

Postby fanatical610 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:11 pm

Not sure if this has been posted before but it's a nice Natalie mention from one of her trainers, Marina Stavitskaya (I think she's the woman in the beginning when they're all at the barre)

Natalie Portman thanked you in her Academy Award acceptance speech. How did you end up working with her?
Benjamin Millepied called me and said “Marina, I would like you to work with Natalie and show her precise Vaganova style.” When I met her, I could see she had studied ballet before. In class, she was like a mathematician, very serious and determined to take each correction—working on her feet, legs, back, and arms. She achieved a lot. She did fouettés and piqué turns on pointe. Her arms were slightly different than I wanted, so we worked on them, bringing a little Russian touch. I enjoyed working with her and felt we had a good connection.

There has been some controversy over the fact that she had a body double in the movie. But you say she can definitely dance, right? Natalie got her Oscar not for her dancing but for her role in Black Swan. That said, she made a big jump from actress to be able to dance on pointe. Obviously, the most difficult technical movements her double, Sarah Lane, performed in the film. But Natalie did a lot. She had very hard training. Every day, she took classes and rehearsed. She worked with several teachers. Everyone contributed something to her style, her movement, and her character in this film. That’s why she thanked us. And it was very sweet and nice of her. I was surprised to hear my name, but from another point, I thought, “This is Natalie. She’s a very special, beautiful human being.”

source
"When you get older, you realize it's a lot less about your place in the world but your place in you. It's not how everyone views you, but how you view yourself" - wise words from NP
fanatical610

Postby buttsie » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:04 am

Interesting article Fanatical610...news years resolution
...5 minute break every day of 2012 - no Natalie searching :P

The teacher clearly knew theres a fine line to be trod but whats he said was very well balanced

I actually think without the Sarah Lane controversy this film wouldnt have been as big as it was
or as interesting to talk about months/years later because the media has been drawn inside wether it wanted to or not.

Natalie = a hard working dancer but she won her Oscar for her overall performance

I think if the studio had its time over again it might do the marketing of the film differently
or maybe the gagging of the dancers was a calculated gamble that one of them would create some publicity....call me the cynic at heart

No such thing as bad publicity

:D
buttsie

Postby Rachel » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:53 pm

Two new-old Ray Lewis portraits:

Rachel

Postby Dazza » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:30 pm

Ooooh.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby boznic » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:27 am

Black Swan.... SOOO good. I thought her acting in SW didn't have much substance, but in BS she is 100% believable. The whole thing was dreamy, I love how the camera moved around, it put a lot of focus on Natalie, kinda put you in her shoes emotionally. Haven't seen her look so beautiful since I first saw her as Amidala when I downloaded the quiktime teaser of Ep. 1.
An atheist just needs a little space to become a theist.
boznic

Postby thevoid99 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:29 pm

One of my favorite new bloggers posted this piece about the film that suggests to re-watch the film multiple times.
"I wanna be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal from "Secretary"
thevoid99

Postby awiseone » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:47 pm

The Bafta Awards are tonight I have a feeling Natalie will be there to present.
awiseone

Postby Kitten » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:34 am

its actually tomorrow night and I was wondering if she would go, I doubt she will though, as she has only gone to the Globes and the SAG's so far, the last sighting on Twitter had her Benjamin & Aleph in NYC, would love it if she did show up to the BAFTAs though
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies
Kitten

Postby Kitten » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:41 am

thevoid99 wrote:One of my favorite new bloggers posted this piece about the film that suggests to re-watch the film multiple times.

thanks for that, there were quite a few I hadnt spotted, and i've seen the movie tons :lol:
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies
Kitten

PreviousNext

Return to Natalie Portman