The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

All things Natalie

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Postby Page » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:52 am

OK, I just saw this movie at the Palm Springs Film Festival. It is the adaptation of the Swedish crime novel where it was mentioned that Natalie comes in mind to play Lisbeth.

Let me start off by saying that I'm a huge Nat fan (duh...) but after seeing this phenomenal film it 1) Should not be remade into an English speaking film. This movie is so good that you don't even notice the two and a half hours of subtitles and 2) Natalie would butcher the role of Lisbeth. No one can play the role like this practically unknown Swedish actress, Noomi Rapace, who portrayed her. She was beyond incredible.

There was a Q & A with the director and writer of the film after the screening and they also agreed that it need not be translated into an American adaptation where Gerard Butler and a doe-eyed beauty would end up playing the lead roles. This film was raw and breathtaking. It should remain a classic foreign film. Period.
Page

Postby Spoonbat » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:36 pm

I've never read the books or seen the film so all I know is that there was a news report several weeks back saying she was interested in the role.
Spoonbat

Postby Dazza » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:46 pm

Definitely want to try and get hold of the films soon.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Harper » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:00 pm

Great to hear the Swedish adaptation is good. I've not been able to find a version with English subtitles so I've not watched it yet.

I've read the first book in the series which I thought was great. The story is very cinematic so I was even imagining it on the big screen when I was reading it.

Definitely don't want to see an American adaptation though-it would be awful with someone like Gerard Butler playing Mikael and you know they'd move it to, like, Minneapolis or something. Having said that Natalie would be a great physical match for Lisbeth but I don't know if she could pull of the role.
"Monkeys were created by God to entertain us. That's all we know..."

Can you fly, Bobby?
Harper

Postby Page » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:42 pm

Yes, though Natalie's physical attributes are spot on for the role, I honestly don't think she would have what it takes to really sink her teeth into Lisbeth. I really do hope they start distriuting the DVD with subtitles soon. It is truly enthralling.
Page

Postby awise1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:48 am

If it's a part she wants I hope she gets it in because these challenging roles provide great opportunities for growth.
awise1

Return to Natalie Portman