Jane Got A Gun Discussion Thread

All things Natalie

Re: Jane Got A Gun Discussion Thread

Postby Dazza » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:52 am

Carlito Brigante wrote:Her movies are unique. That's how I meant it. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is unique. There's nothing else like it out there.

To me unique is a Charlie Kaufman film. I don't think Natalie has a particularly unique filmography - the word I would use is diverse. She has always tended to mix it up a lot and, as I said earlier, hasn't ever established a particular character type.

PPZ being unique...errr, okay. To me you can lump it with Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter, Victor Frankenstein, Hansel and Gretel, Sucker Punch - people who like those films will immediately be into what PPZ is dishing up.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Belerofonte » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:57 pm

It seems that the film has at least one fan ... Stephen King:

https://mobile.twitter.com/StephenKing/status/695408328113938438

And luckily the movie can be seen in Spain .... in five months (July 15). Well, it's something :|
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:08 pm

Interesting Vfx Reel of the film:

https://vimeo.com/155255856
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:01 pm

"I Wouldn't Want To Go Through That Kind Of Experience Again": Joel Edgerton Talks Making 'Jane Got A Gun'

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/i-wouldnt-want-to-go-through-that-kind-of-experience-again-joel-edgerton-talks-making-jane-got-a-gun-20160308

"The fact that we got across the line, the fact that we got the movie made [was a triumph]. But it was made in the wrong way, definitely there were too many complications and the movie, it is what it is. And we're proud of it, for our own reasons. I definitely wouldn't want to go through that kind of experience again," Edgerton said, who chalked everything up as a lesson learned. "It's amazing: Just when you think things are getting easier, there's always a storm on the horizon. But it teaches you something. And I've had other experiences in my life that were not film-related that were traumatic and I wouldn't exchange, for the same reason that every experience equips you with new tools for the future."

And while the easy thing to do would be to place the blame of the film's troubled production on the shoulders of Lynne Ramsay, Edgerton isn't about to do that.

"I think Lynne is an incredible filmmaker and I would never throw her under a bus because that whole thing was far more complicated. And even though I was there for the majority of things, I don't know everybody's angle on it. I know there was a fractiousness there and it takes two to tango. Certainly on a movie, it takes a whole lot more than two, in fact," he said diplomatically.

If you missed the western in cinemas, "Jane Got A Gun" hits Digital HD on April 15th and DVD and On Demand on April 26th. More from Jessica's interview with Joel Edgerton soon.
Belerofonte

Postby JenR » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:38 am

I completely agree^ They really pussed out with this films story. There one good part in the film and it's the intro to the saloon. I can't really criticize the film making because it's better than mine, but I find it frustrating how talented people can keep making shit.

PPZ may be a guilty pleasure, but I therowly enjoyed it. I thought it was great, but Idk if that's me being a hater of the original story (because I hate it) or if it was enjoyable.

If JGAG just got the damn point of the film instead of pussy footing around it would had been fine. Someone could had stepped up to write something better.
JenR

Postby amo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:33 am

There's a JGAG feature in this month's ShowFilmFirst mag. Not sure if anything in there is new: https://issuu.com/showfilmfirst/docs/sf ... 0/34628058
*it's pronounced "ammo"*
amo

Postby Belerofonte » Sun May 08, 2016 3:36 pm

Well... the movie has been released in my country, and finally I saw yesterday, in a small theatre virtually empty ...

The truth is that it is easy to criticize this film: it has a slow pace, almost no action in ninety percent of the movie, and the story is nothing new (the umpteenth western siege, where the protagonists expect the arrival of " bad guys " to massacre them) ....

... But nevertheless, it has entertained me. It is not a perfect film, far from it. The story lacks verve, and numerous production problems are noticed, especially in the inclusion of some flashbacks ... and the lack of thrust villain (embodied however with conviction by Ewan McGregor). Clearly they had to wring the brain so that the absence is not noticed (the actor could not join the shooting until the very end of it); although Gavin O'Connor takes some pretty good decisions to hide this fact (his appearances in flashbacks are quite good, and the fact resolve the final siege from the point of view of Jane, Dan and Bill, inside the house it is very smart ... but unfortunately that does lose showmanship to the scene.

Actually, this movie is an intimate drama, wrapped in the makings of a western. A drama about loss, the value of the strength and the courage to stand up to adversity. Jane's character is a woman dragged by the events of her life, who has the chance to finally stand up and face everything to protect her family. A woman who believed losing the man she loves, found another honest man who had the courage to protect her, and that after years of false comfort, is doomed to face the demons of her past .... all with the help of the man who loved, lost and broken by war, and finally will have the opportunity to redeem himself next to her.

The actors are the best of this movie: Natalie is really struggling in her role, Ewan is very effective as villain, but the one that really stands out is a tremendous Joel Edgerton, in a role that comes fits like a glove. I've never had a high regard for this actor, but I must admit that here is really great.

As for the pace, actually this is a slow film, but is not boring at all. The scenography is irregular, but this is more a problem of script that direction; O'Connor actually does a good job in that regard (and that, given the abruptness of their entry into production, is really admirable). There are very powerful scenes and it’s filmed with style; I'm thinking right now at the entrance of Noah Emmerich to the brothel, or flashback where Joel Edgerton discover the new life of Jane with Bill (which looks splendidly, with the invaluable help of Mandy Walker).

Cinematically, the film is very reliable: the photograph, as I said, is excellent. It collects perfectly light and colors of dusty locations of Santa Fe, and builds a pretty cool frames in scope, making the movie seem bigger than their small budget might have allowed.

In short, a proper film and above all, unpretentious. Conventional, yes, but entertaining, where the only thing really out of tone is an unnecessary happy ending, (although the dessert consistent with the journey of the two main characters).

It's a great movie? No. It is bad? Not at all, but seeing the hell of the production, it's a miracle that the result is so worthy. A movie that certainly does not deserve failure at the box office has had in the countries where it has released. Every week, there are films much worse than hits the box office, but after the bad press that the film dragged, perhaps this was the only possible end of the film trip ... and it's a shame, because here was very good elements to have gotten a most estimable western...
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Tue May 31, 2016 8:47 pm

Poster visuals for the UK theatrical release...

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Source: http://scottw.myportfolio.com/jane-got-a-gun
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:32 pm

Curious (and macabre) photo taken during the filming of the film, with Natalie made up with the gunshot that she receives at the end of the movie, in what appears to be a cut off scene:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRCncaFlc-4/
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Sun May 28, 2017 8:33 am

Well... four years after her departure from Jane Got a Gun, Lynne Ramsay is getting good reviews for her new movie with Joaquin Phoenix in Cannes, and Deadline has asked her how all that mess was. The answer (fortunately) does not enter into debates or controversies...

http://deadline.com/2017/05/joaquin-phoenix-lynne-ramsay-you-were-never-really-here-cannes-film-festival-1202103590/

Looking back on that mishegoss, Ramsay says “I was really devastated. I really wanted to make the film. It was a hard decision to do that (walking away), but it was becoming a different movie. In my head, I made it. That was a tough time, I wouldn’t bullshit about that.”
Belerofonte

Postby Kitten » Sun May 28, 2017 9:19 am

Guess we'll never really know what happened there, on a side note, I really hope Natalie and Joaquin work together one day ♥
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies
Kitten

Previous

Return to Natalie Portman