Jane Got A Gun Discussion Thread

All things Natalie

Re: Jane Got A Gun Discussion Thread

Postby Dazza » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:36 pm

Yeah, it's a bit of a bummer but was more expected? 6 months ago even a release into 500 theatres seemed a stretch.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Belerofonte » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:27 pm

Article about D.P. Mandy Walker and the cinematography of the movie (shot in 35mm with anamorphic lenses):

http://motion.kodak.com/us/en/motion/blog/blog_post?contentid=4294991940
Belerofonte

Postby Carlito Brigante » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:10 am

I realize that everybody's rooting for Natalie Portman on this, but I think it's time for a reality check and it may sound a little bit harsh, but that's all right. I guess you could call it tough love, so here it goes:

Natalie Portman's obsession with putting Lynne Ramsey as a director killed the project from the start. It was her idea because she's done it like three times already and it never ends well. It's complete and total bullshit, and it got her nothing. She's no closer to working with a female director now than she was back then. Why? Because it's an obssession. People don't give a shit about other people's obssesions. That's why.

If Natalie Portman really wants to change the world and call herself brave, the only way to do it is by doing things ONE DAY AT A TIME. If she has to wait 10 years, or 20, or 30, until she finally gets what she wants. That's how you change the world. Not now because you're Natalie Portman, you won an Oscar, and you can do whatever the fuck you want whenever the fuck you want. It doesn't work that way. Not for nobody. You don't have to learn eight languages to know that.

Anyway, I just said what I have to say. I have the feeling this is going to get very depressing very fast, so I'm getting the hell out of her spotlight. I'm not even sure why I give a shit anyway.
Carlito Brigante

Postby Rachel » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:01 am

Just bought my ticket but my newfound enthusiasm from earlier this month has deflated considerably. :/
Rachel

Postby Belerofonte » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:20 am

Belerofonte

Postby Dazza » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:08 am

Carlito Brigante wrote:I realize that everybody's rooting for Natalie Portman on this, but I think it's time for a reality check and it may sound a little bit harsh, but that's all right. I guess you could call it tough love, so here it goes:

Natalie Portman's obsession with putting Lynne Ramsey as a director killed the project from the start. It was her idea because she's done it like three times already and it never ends well. It's complete and total bullshit, and it got her nothing. She's no closer to working with a female director now than she was back then. Why? Because it's an obssession. People don't give a shit about other people's obssesions. That's why.

She's hired Lynne Ramsay three times already? When will she learn! Are you really trying to make the point that she shouldn't work with female directors because one female director proved to be unreliable on one project?
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Belerofonte » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:08 am

Finally! On set interviews and B-roll...

more here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdJC4EBLm-xX3t_250SfhgVsSderrsFeH
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:00 pm

Belerofonte

Postby Carlito Brigante » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:39 pm

Dazza wrote:
Carlito Brigante wrote:I realize that everybody's rooting for Natalie Portman on this, but I think it's time for a reality check and it may sound a little bit harsh, but that's all right. I guess you could call it tough love, so here it goes:

She's hired Lynne Ramsay three times already? When will she learn! Are you really trying to make the point that she shouldn't work with female directors because one female director proved to be unreliable on one project?

Patty Jenkins with Thor and the whole Marvel rift? Now Marielle Heller with the Ruth Ginsburg movie, a movie that she could've done last summer? Three times. You only get so many of those, and it's clearly started to affect her career. By the time she finally gets to pick the director she wants she'll be making movies for the sy fy channel.
Carlito Brigante

Postby fanatical610 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:51 pm

I agree to some extent with Carlito. Her championing of female directors is admirable but maybe she should simply be choosing the right Director for the job? I feel like her career needs a big "win" right now. Not feeling much excitement as a fan at all.

The film looks like an incredibly poor man's True Grit and with reviews mentioning a lack of nuance from Natalie's performance which was perhaps the one thing the film needed most, well this just looks like another forgettable entry in the Natalie Portman filmography.

Please God let these upcoming films be good and Natalie be good in them :!:
"When you get older, you realize it's a lot less about your place in the world but your place in you. It's not how everyone views you, but how you view yourself" - wise words from NP
fanatical610

Postby Dazza » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:45 pm

Carlito Brigante wrote:
Dazza wrote:

Patty Jenkins with Thor and the whole Marvel rift? Now Marielle Heller with the Ruth Ginsburg movie, a movie that she could've done last summer? Three times. You only get so many of those, and it's clearly started to affect her career. By the time she finally gets to pick the director she wants she'll be making movies for the sy fy channel.

I'm still not sure what you're arguing. Three completely different situations, the only thing that links them are vagina's. Are you suggesting women can't be trusted with the responsibility? Are you suggesting women can't direct? Thor 2 was pretty shit wasn't it? Maybe Jenkins could have done something with it. She's doing Wonder Woman right now so I'll guess we'll see what she's got before too long.

Heller was never signed on to Sex, she was obviously courted and apparently has decided she'd rather keep doing her own thing. Having just seen her first film I say HELL YES to that.

Oh, and she's just completed filming for Rebecca Zlotowski so...again, what are you arguing exactly?
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Belerofonte » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:55 pm

GMA excerpt in YouTube:

Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:17 pm

Another clip:

Belerofonte

Postby Carlito Brigante » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:48 am

Dazza wrote:I'm still not sure what you're arguing. Three completely different situations, the only thing that links them are vagina's. Are you suggesting women can't be trusted with the responsibility? Are you suggesting women can't direct? Thor 2 was pretty shit wasn't it? Maybe Jenkins could have done something with it. She's doing Wonder Woman right now so I'll guess we'll see what she's got before too long.

Heller was never signed on to Sex, she was obviously courted and apparently has decided she'd rather keep doing her own thing. Having just seen her first film I say HELL YES to that.

Oh, and she's just completed filming for Rebecca Zlotowski so...again, what are you arguing exactly?

What I'm saying is that she can do anything she wants, but if she doesn't have an A list career left as it is, then it defeats the purpose of what she's trying to do, which is to have more female directors out there, right? The fact is that Jane Got A Gun, with a production budget in the same range as V for Vendetta, stands to be a major flop. By far the biggest of her career. She is who she is, so she'll likely be okay. But it's no doubt a reality check.

Just keep rolling with whatever comes. Why get caught up on which gender is going to direct which movie if it's going to jeopardize the entire movie? If it's a woman, excellent, if not, she still has a whole career ahead of her. In time she'll end up doing political thrillers with Kathryn Bigelow or any other great female directors out there. Who the hell knows?

And I liked Thor 2. The teletubbies were comic book like. Very random. I liked that.
Carlito Brigante

Postby Belerofonte » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:32 am

Belerofonte

PreviousNext

Return to Natalie Portman