Knight of Cups + Song to Song

All things Natalie

Re: Knight of Cups + Weightless

Postby Belerofonte » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:51 pm

New clip:

Belerofonte

Postby Kitten » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:42 am

Going to give this another watch before i fully make up my mind, but I really didn't enjoy the movie when I watched it, this was a big disappointment for me, as I was really looking forward too it, maybe it is just the directors style as I havent seen any of his other work, but I found it very frustrating to watch, I found the juddering camera work very irritating, the style of it was annoying all the voice over work and whispering lines (I felt) instead of actually having the characters have conversations, I couldnt feel sympathy for Natalie's character because I didn't feel any connection or investment to Rick or Elizabeth due to the style of the movie I finished it feeling irritated more than anything. However I do like to give things a 2nd chance as I have found myself changing my mind or at least with a bit more appreciation about movies and shows on a second viewing
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies
Kitten

Postby Dazza » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:30 pm

Yeah, I think the people who respond to this film will be a niche within a niche. He hasn't created any doorways into the experience. I worry that Weightless will be of a piece with KoC and To The Wonder. Maybe try and watch another of his films. Something like Tree of Life, which has the same eye on the spiritual, has a poetic narrative, bold decisions (a 20 minute stretch of the film that is unlike anything you've seen) but that has enough structure to give you something to hold onto. And characters and a place that feel very real, even if we still have to read between the lines.

I thought that film was incredible and it's really frustrating seeing the direction he has taken his work. It's obviously very personal and very much an artistic impression, so I still admire him, it's just that I'm not sure I can get as excited as I used to when I hear a new Malick film is on the way.

Maybe Weightless will change that.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Kitten » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:15 pm

Hopefully, this felt more like Malick was just trying to be 'arty' rather than actually tell a narrative, I wouldn't have disliked the voice over too much if the camera work hadn't been so choppy, I think that is what irritated me the most, in the end I was even saying aloud "Stop shifting the camera so much and actually focus on your actors" you don't need to have conversations per say as one look can speak a thousand words in film, but the direction in this just didn't give them a chance to tell the story, it felt very swirly and dream like, and maybe that was intentional on Malick's part but personally to me you have to be invested in a character, I can forgive a lot of things in a movie if I feel and empathize with a character and can actually feel invested in them or the story, with this when Rick tells Elizabeth she is the love of his life you don't believe it, again that could have been intentional in the directing because of his character and the storyline but , if you are going to have characters claim all this feeling and passion etc you have to make the viewer believe it, stop and focus on them, let them act and portray that emotion, voice over could have really worked like I said it didnt have to be huge conversations maybe it would have been more powerful with just the voice over and letting Natalie and Christian act the scene, some of the best cinema for me has been just with a few looks and barely any words. I felt it wasn't acting it was two actors mucking around, I know Christian didnt have a script and they had to make a lot up each day, and it can work on some things but for me it didn't on this movie, I feel most dissapointed because with the storyline they were given if Natalie and Christian had actually been able to focus on them storyline they were telling it could have been a very powerful moment in the movie, just my thoughts anyway but like I said maybe I will feel better after the 2nd watch as maybe a lot of my feelings were due to my expectations being very high and coming away dissapointed has given me a negative slant, which is why I like to try and give things a 2nd watch
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies
Kitten

Postby Dazza » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:55 pm

I completely get what you're saying (not so much the camera work though) and it's certainly by design. What speaks to him in film is taking him further away from narrative. This review I posted on the site has a nice take in the middle of the review, trying to explain what Malick is after.

https://theologyandmovies.wordpress.com ... lick-2015/
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Belerofonte » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:03 pm

I had occasion to see the movie a couple of weeks with the German BD. Obviously it is the same style as Malick began with "Tree of Life" and especially "To the Wonder", but, unlike the Affleck and Kurylenko film, I liked it much more. But yes, I prefer much more when Malick was less "unbound" :lol:
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:13 pm

A nice video of the Berlin premiere of KOC last year, from inside the theatre:

Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:19 am

New (and nice) still:

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BBvaKbdk7w-/
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:31 pm

Another nice Natalie still...

Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:11 pm

Short behind the scenes interview:

Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:25 pm

Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:43 pm

Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:14 pm

Natalie Portman: Why Working with Christian Bale on Her New Movie Was 'So Fun' and 'Sometimes Scary'

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20993980,00.html
Belerofonte

Postby thevoid99 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:50 am

Here's my review on Knight of Cups.

I need to see this again as I will admit that it's not as good as his previous work but it is really unlike anything and I enjoyed that. It's a film that is willing to ask big questions about the ideas of temptation and decadence as well as that sense of personal anguish over self-identity. Considering that it's semi-biographical and probably part of an informal trilogy with The Tree of Life and To the Wonder (the latter of which I think is even better the 2nd time around). It is clear that is very personal as it has these elements of humor but also a tragedy as it relates to what Christian Bale's character is dealing with. I'm still trying to digest it in my head as it isn't an easy film to watch and maybe it isn't as immediate as his earlier work but I applaud the film for being challenging and not play by the rules. I know I'm going to be accused of being a Malick-fanboy but how would anyone tell something like this in a conventional manner? It also has these big questions of spirituality while there's stuff in the narration by Ben Kingsley that is some really heavy stuff as it relates to these questions of self-being and the choices we make. I hope that when a proper DVD/Blu-Ray release comes around. There will definitely be a more comprehensible discussion about this film.

Now on to Weightless or Voyage of Time, depending on what is next.
"I wanna be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal from "Secretary"
thevoid99

PreviousNext

Return to Natalie Portman