Planetarium (2016)

All things Natalie

Re: Planetarium (2016)

Postby Belerofonte » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:15 am

Interview with Rebecca Zlotowski about blockbusters and superheroes movies, with a brief reference at the end of the article to Planetarium:

http://www.telerama.fr/cinema/rebecca-zlotowski-les-marvel-ce-n-est-meme-plus-du-blockbuster-c-est-du-pop-corn-movie,145741.php

Google translation...

Planetarium, your next film with Natalie Portman and Lily-Rose Melody Depp, it will be your blockbuster?

I hope so! If blockbuster, it means an open movie, spectacular, horny, seductive, yes! If blockbuster, it means fun teaching, then yes, that word I like. Moreover, to Planetarium, we have used the Alexa camera 65, which had been used on shots of Star Wars VII and The Revenant at the time of shooting. This is a high performance digital camera. So far Planetarium is the only film that was made entirely with Alexa 65. This is also what I want when I go see a blockbuster: the technique. Where are we with the possibility to make worlds? How do you make imaginary worlds today?
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:03 am

Belerofonte

Postby Dazza » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:44 am

Thank god she does speak French. Wasn't looking forward to that outrage.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Belerofonte » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:31 am

Final date for the Premiere in Venice: September 8, one day after the premiere of Jackie....

http://www.labiennale.org/en/cinema/73rd-festival/screenings/8sept.html
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:23 pm

Larger version...

Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:56 pm

Anaïs Romand, costume designer, talks about how it was to dress Natalie and Lily-Rose Depp in the movie:

http://wwd.com/eye/fashion/lily-rose-depp-natalie-portman-for-planetarium-10510773/

WWD: What were Natalie Portman’s looks?

AR: In the film, Natalie Portman meets a producer played by Emmanuel Salinger, and starts a career as an actress. So there are many different looks — slightly vamp or sophisticated party looks. I dressed her in high-waist, pajama-inspired pants and a lot of shorts. They were very much in fashion on the French Riviera. I also created a silhouette made of pants and a jacket in hemp.
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:08 pm

Schedule, synopsis and commentary from TIFF site:

http://www.tiff.net/films/planetarium/

In 1930s France, two sisters (Natalie Portman and Lily-Rose Depp) who perform as supernatural mediums cross paths with a visionary film producer.

Natalie Portman and Lily-Rose Depp star in this eerie wonder from visionary French director Rebecca Zlotowski (Grand Central). A film about speaking to spirits and crafting grand spectacles, Planetarium is itself an otherworldly spectacle — one that lures us into a seductive twilight realm of mystery and secrets.

Returning to one of the themes that distinguished her remarkable 2010 directorial debut, Belle épine, Zlotowski gives us in Planetarium another story of young women seeking to define themselves on their own terms.

The setting is Paris in the 1930s, where two sisters, American spiritualists Laura (Portman, who also appears at this year's Festival in Jackie) and Kate Barlow (Depp), are winding up a world tour. Seemingly adept at communicating with the dead, the women are somewhat less experienced with the business of the living. Nevertheless, their astonishing exhibit of apparently supernatural powers piques the interest of powerful French film producer André Korben (Emmanuel Salinger), who retains their strange talents for his wildly ambitious new film project. Laura and Kate are soon swept up in a scheme that, fusing art and the occult, portends a dark shadow soon to be cast over all of Europe.

Zlotowski's sensitivity to the experience of her female characters is complemented by the performances of her bewitching leads — Portman hasn't displayed such an alluring dark side since Black Swan, and Depp channels her character like a spiritual medium.

Lyrical and dreamlike, Planetarium immerses us in a world where, as with cinema itself, reality and illusion intermingle until it's nearly impossible to discern between the two.
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:12 am

Finally! A brand new (and oficial) trailer for the movie...

... and a new still:

Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:18 pm

Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:50 am

Interview (in French) with Natalie and Lily-Rose in Madame Figaro about the film:

http://madame.lefigaro.fr/celebrites/lily-rose-depp-et-natalie-portman-interview-croisee-planetarium-120816-115828

Google Translation...

Madame Figaro. - What attracted you to the story, the Planetarium scenario?

Natalie Portman. -I Have been captivated by the parallel Rebecca Zlotowski established between film - this universe where everything is true and false at the same time - and the story of these two sisters who communicate with the beyond. I always thought that many filmmakers are worn by the dream of making immortal beings with their camera. They achieve elsewhere, such mediums: when I watch a movie with Ava Gardner, I always feel that she is alive, which communicates with it ... The movie manages to make us travel the time, as these two sisters, through their séances ... is this suggestion of force, deception? What is certain is that the emotions they generate among the people are true and they really believe communicate with ghosts ...
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:00 pm

Apart from official events (photocall, press conference and Premiere), it seems to be an exclusive dinner with Natalie and Lily-Rose on September 8:

http://www.luxgallery.it/mostra-del-cinema-di-venezia-2016-i-party-e-gli-eventi-pi-esclusivi-del-lido-68419.php?refresh_cens

Google translation ...

Guests instead of a very exclusive private dinner at the Palazzina G on 8 September the actresses Natalie Portman and Lily Rose Depp, the film's protagonists "Planetarium"
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:57 pm

Although Jackie is attracting all the attention today, we must remember that press screenings of this film are this evening (the first one starts right now). I'll settle this movie has half the good reception that Jackie :)
Belerofonte

PreviousNext

Return to Natalie Portman