Annihilation (2018)

All things Natalie

Re: Annihilation (2017)

Postby Belerofonte » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:17 pm

Today Paramount has a panel inside CinemaCon in Las Vegas, from 4:00 to 5:30 p.m., in which it will have an exclusive presentation highlighting its 2017 Summer and beyond.... So maybe we can see some trace of this film? who knows...

http://cinemacon.com/schedule#horizontalTab3
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:32 am

Paramount has revealed the first images of the movie in the CinemaCon today. The Wrap has a description of the footage:

http://www.thewrap.com/first-look-alex-garland-annihilation-oscar-isaac-natalie-portman/

In the clip, screened Tuesday to movie theater operators and press at CinemaCon in Las Vegas, Natalie Portman receives her husband back (Isaac) after he mysteriously disappeared for 12 months. However, he seems different and won’t tell her where he’s been or how he came home, and soon, an ambulance is called to save Isaac who is now spitting blood.

Next thing she knows, Portman’s character wakes up in an institution, and is told her husband is gone forever. She is enlisted to go on a voyage where the laws of nature don’t apply.

The group consists of an anthropologist, a surveyor, a psychologist who serves as the group’s de facto leader, and a biologist who is the film’s narrator. The first footage of the film stunned audiences, who were at the edge of the seat as they watched Natalie Portman come to terms with her situation during the Paramount presentation on Tuesday.

Unfortunately, it seems to confirm that the film pushed back its release from 2017 to 2018 :(

https://www.twitter.com/colliderfrosty/status/846872745434497025
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:36 am

Here, another detailed description:

Baywatch star Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson kicked off Paramount’s presentation at CinemaCon with the help of a chorus line of scantily-clad lifeguards and Matt Damon took the stage twice to promote Suburbicon and Downsizing, but make no mistake, it was Natalie Portman’s sci-fi movie Annihilation that had tongues wagging inside of Caesar’s Palace.

Writer-director Alex Garland’s follow-up to Ex Machina looked absolutely dynamite, highlighted by a sequence in which Portman’s husband (Oscar Isaac) returns home from a covert mission, only to begin coughing up blood. En route to the hospital, the ambulance is pulled over by military officials and the couple are separated again, with Portman waking up to find a psychiatrist played by Jennifer Jason Leigh doing her best to explain what’s going on.

Based on the novel by Jeff VanderMeer, Annihilation looks like a chilling, highly original sci-fi movie bolstered by a fantastic female cast that also includes Gina Rodriguez, Tessa Thompson and Swedish actress Tuva Novotny. Giving audiences a nice taste of the story while still retaining an air of mystery, this trailer is going to set the internet on fire upon release.

http://www.tracking-board.com/paramounts-baywatch-annihilation-and-matt-damon-get-tongues-wagging-at-cinemacon/
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:45 am

More detailed:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/831429-paramount-cinemacon-presentation-recap#/slide/1

Adapted from the novel by Jeff VanderMeer, Annihilation marks the latest from Alex Garland, the writer and director behind Ex Machina. This one reteams Garland with Oscar Isaac, who stars alongside Natalie Portman and Jennifer Jason Leigh. The Paramount CinemaCon presentation offered a lengthy look at the undated release.

Set against Crosby, Stills & Nash’s “Helplessly Hoping,” the footage begins in a suburban house where Natalie Portman’s character is trying to control her emotions. She’s holding a locket with Isaac’s character’s face in it. She’s trying not to cry. She moves to bedroom and covers a bed with a plastic sheet. She begins to paint the walls.

“Helplessly Hoping” continues as we see Isaac, standing at the bottom of the stairs. He comes up the stairs and enters the room. Portman’s mouth drops. She can’t believe it. She rushes to him, sobbing. He makes no expression, though, even as she tries to kiss him.

Downstairs, she has given him a glass of water and she now sits across from him at the table.

“No one knew anything about your unit,” she tells him. “I contacted everyone I could. Was it a cover up?”

“Maybe,” he says.

“What does that mean, maybe?”

“Yeah,” he deadpans. “It was a cover-up. Yeah.”

“Pakistan, maybe?”

“I don’t know where it was,” he says. “Or what it was.”

“How is that possible?!” she says, growing irate. “You must be able to tell me something. You vanish off the face of the Earth for 12 months. I want an explanation.”

“It doesn’t matter,” he says, punctuated by a long pause.

She takes his hand.

“How did you get home?” she asks.

“I was outside,” he says.

“Outside the house?”

“No,” he says. “Outside the room. The room with the bed. The door was open and I saw you. I recognized you. Your face.”

He takes a drink of the water.

“I don’t feel very well,” he says.

There’s blood in the glass.

An ambulance races to the hospital, but police pull up alongside, running the ambulance off the road. The swarm, removing Portman’s characters and the doctors from the back.

“Let him go!” she screams.

Later, we find her sitting across from Jennifer Jason Leigh’s character at a desk.

“It started around three years ago,” Leigh tells Portman, “Something deemed a shimmer. A religious event. An extrtaerrsital event? We have many theories, but few facts.”

Lots of things have gone into the shimmer, but nothing has come back. Until now, it seems.

From there, the footage took on more of a trailer quality, revealing Portman and Leigh navigating a fantastic world with quick shots of tree-like people (or, perhaps, people-like trees) as well as an alligator-esque creature.
Belerofonte

Postby Kitten » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:50 am

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies
Kitten

Postby Belerofonte » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:34 am

Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Fri May 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Some thoughts of Jeff VanderMeer, the author of the novel, about the film:

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2017/05/19/jeff-vandermeer-borne-career-moment/101869992/

Tallahassee novelist Jeff VanderMeer was invited to visit Pinewood Studios last year in London. Director Alex Garland (“Ex Machina”) was turning VanderMeer’s book “Annihilation” (2014) into an upcoming movie starring Natalie Portman and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

“They were also shooting the new ‘Star Wars’ movie there behind these giant steel walls on rollers so no one could see what was going on,” VanderMeer said. “And they would throw out stuff from their set, like giant vine (props). Because ‘Annihilation’ was only a $50 million movie, the production assistants told me they would creep over and take some things they could use for the ‘Annihilation’ movie. I thought that was hilarious.”

“(In London), we went on location and saw where they had recreated a Florida village,” VanderMeer said. “It really did look like one. They couldn’t have done better if they’d bought some buildings and airlifted them from North Florida, including a mailbox that encrusted with fake lichens. I pointed at it and said, ‘That looks just like our mailbox.’ And they gave me this strange look like, ‘Why don’t you clean off your mailbox?’ In North Florida, you can but it will just be there the next day. They’d also dressed up this British marsh to look like Florida and it really did. They didn’t shoot in Florida because they couldn’t get any depth perception out of their shots because the vegetation was so thick.”

On Friday night, VanderMeer was slated to watch a sneak preview of Garland’s “Annihilation” when his current, 21-city, national book tour landed him in Los Angeles. No official public release date for the film is set yet. Maybe fans can ask VanderMeer what he thought of seeing his work on the big screen when the book tour brings him home for a reading at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at The Tallahassee Democrat, 277 N. Magnolia Drive. It will include a Q&A session.

“It does not seem real at all and I still have no idea what the movie is going to be like,” Vandermeer said. “I have two friends who saw a secret screening for marketing purposes in New York and they both gave me completely different views of what the movie was about. So, I don’t know.”
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Sat May 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Jeff VanderMeer saw the film yesterday in a private screening, and these are his thoughts on it:

https://www.facebook.com/jeff.vandermeer/posts/10154798338899195

So, yeah, I saw the Annihilation movie. I'm not really sure what I'm allowed to say about it or not say about it, so I'll keep it simple...I'm still composing my thoughts and feelings about it. I can tell you it's mind-blowing, surreal, extremely beautiful, extremely horrific, and it was so tense that our bodies felt sore and beat-up afterwards.
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Mon May 29, 2017 5:22 pm

Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:18 pm

New CEO Jim Gianopulos Opens Paramount's CineEurope Show:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/new-ceo-jim-gianopulos-opens-paramounts-cineeurope-show-1015510

Exclusive footage from Alexander Payne's 'Downsizing' and Alex Garland's 'Annihilation' was screened, while Al Gore dropped in via video to talk up his 'Inconvenient Truth' sequel.
Belerofonte

Postby Away With The Pixies » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Jim Gianopulos also gave an interview in the Hollywood Reporter and he mentions Annihilation when talking about fall movies. He says the movie is nearly finished. I know a 2018 release date was previously mentioned but maybe it will be ready for autumn.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featur ... io-1015023
Away With The Pixies

Postby Belerofonte » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:27 am

hopefully. If so, they should not delay announcing a release date. They have been showing footage of the film since the CinemaCon in March. Leaving the premiere for 2018 is delaying it a lot, especially for a movie whose filming ended a year ago...
Belerofonte

Postby LightsCameraReaction » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:22 am

Found this on tumblr, not sure how reliable it is.
lightscamerareaction.co.uk
LightsCameraReaction

Postby Belerofonte » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:24 am

Yeah. I saw it yesterday. I have not been able to confirm it anywhere else, but I hope we can see some official announcement soon :)
Belerofonte

Postby LightsCameraReaction » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:43 pm

http://awardswatch.com/forums/showthrea ... ion/page21

On an awards website I go on, Someone went to a screening and said this about Natalie:

I think Portman is great in this, and I say this as a non-Portman fan. It's an incredibly physical performance for her. The film is just too sci-fi for AMPAS, IMO.

Rodriguez definitely has some meaty material here, and JJL is good too. Just not as prominent.
lightscamerareaction.co.uk
LightsCameraReaction

PreviousNext

Return to Natalie Portman