The Death and Life of John F. Donovan (2018)

All things Natalie

The Death and Life of John F. Donovan (2018)

Postby Belerofonte » Sun May 22, 2016 6:01 pm

Promotional teaser poster of the film:

http://montages.no/2016/05/eksklusivt-xavier-dolan-deler-visjonen-for-sin-neste-film-the-death-and-life-of-john-f-donovan/

Google translation:

Dolans first English language film, and boasts an impressive cast list, consisting of, among others, Kit Harrington, Natalie Portman, Jessica Chastain, Bella Thorne, Kathy Bates, Nicholas Hoult, Taylor Kitsch, Susan Sarandon, Thandie Newton, Michael Gambon and Adele. The film is in pre-production, and will soon be in the recording.

Dolan takes the stage as a superstar to the tune of Q Lazzarus' Goodbye Horses, La Plage Royale just off the Croisette in Cannes, and is habitual articulate when he talks about his vision for The Death and Life of John F. Donovan. By all accounts we are talking about a far more conventional film than his previous productions aimed at a large audience. Dolan emphasizes a distinct desire to to now really spread out - the film's structure resembles a cartoon adaptation à la Marvel, with Kit Harington (Game of Thrones) as "superhero" and Jessica Chastain as antagonist.

Compères gives the impression that Christopher Nolan is a reference for the project ( "this is Dolans Nolan movie!"), But Dolan specifies that Hollywood auteur is not necessarily a source of inspiration, but only mentioned to give an idea of ​​the film's pace and tone . Although The Death and Life of John F. Donovan described as a character-driven drama, get an impression that the intensity will match any loud genre movie. According to Dolan will the soundtrack be even more crucial for the experience than in his earlier films, and this will lean heavily on original compositions rather than pop songs. (I wonder if Gabriel Yared continues his collaboration with the director after the memorable contribution to Tom à la ferme and Juste la fin du monde?)

After the session came Montages in chat with one of Dolans agents, who spoke openly about what aspirations they have with the project. Dolan will have an Oscar, it was said, and consequently wagering production company that The Death and Life of John F. Donovan becomes relevant for prestigious categories like film, director and original screenplay, in addition to potential prices for the actors.
The aim is to premiere at next year's Cannes festival, and then stack a solid Oscar campaign on the legs during fall 2017. The film's budget is $ 28 million, which is significantly higher than any of Dolans previous productions.

Asked about The Death and Life of John F. Donovan becomes a "transitional movie" where Dolan constantly away from the expression that so long has defined him as a filmmaker, the answer is an obvious yes. Dolan also signals that he wants to get the ability to create pure genre films in the future, since he himself greatly appreciate blockbusters: "I love superhero movies. I'm a good public, I do not have high standards. I go to the movies and I can enjoy myself very Easily. "
Last edited by Belerofonte on Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Belerofonte

Re: The Death and Life of John F. Donovan

Postby Belerofonte » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:33 pm

Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:52 am

Dolan says this poster is totally fake...

https://mobile.twitter.com/XDolan/status/754512620959346689
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:55 pm

Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:33 pm

Set pictures in Montreal, simulating a fictional New York premiere:

Image Image

Image Image

http://itsallaboutkitharington.tumblr.com/post/148343476335/sweetzen-new-york-no-just-a-movie-being-shot

I wonder when Natalie will join the shooting ... probably when it comes to New York next weeks? :?:
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:29 am

There have been diffuse sightings on twiter and instagram that Natalie could have been shooting her part this week in Montreal ... but no picture to prove it. On the other hand, Xavier Dolan posted this photo on instagram yesterday:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ0p4Z8g6rT/

Off to NY for last 2 days of shooting on first unit of #deathandlifeofjohnfdonovan Gonna sleep it off for the next months after though. Happy but exhausted.

So, is it possible that this weekend we can see a photo with Natalie in NY? who knows...
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:24 pm

Xavier Dolan Says He Won’t Be Taking ‘John F. Donovan’ To Cannes

http://theplaylist.net/xavier-dolan-says-wont-taking-john-f-donovan-cannes-20160914/

“I don’t think I’d present a film like this at Cannes,” the director told the Montreal Gazette. “It’s a film about an American TV star who is framed by the American media system. There are bits in it that are so much like what I lived in Cannes, and I’m afraid that people would think it’s my revenge project. Except that I wrote it five years ago (with Jacob Tierney).”

Also...

In addition to Dolan’s concerns about going to Cannes with the movie, it’s an open question as to whether or not ‘Donovan’ will be ready for next year. Filming was originally scheduled to wrap in November, but instead, the production (which the director has called “stressful”) that started this summer will go on hiatus and resume next spring.

So there will be a second round of filming in spring ... maybe then we see Natalie filming? Or already she was filming a few days in Montreal? who knows...
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:36 am

Xavier Dolan tries to clarify on instagram his statements about this film not be presented at the upcoming Cannes Film Festival...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKfsoPrAtvu/

According to him, the movie will continue filming until June next year. so we'll have to wait until late 2017 to see it.
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:46 pm

Interesting canadian article (in French) about the shooting. Unfortunately there is no direct reference to Natalie, but says that the film will continue filming in Prague and London next spring, with a possible premiere at Venice and Toronto...

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/arts_et_spectacles/2016/11/04/001-plateau-the-death-and-life-of-john-f-donovan-xavier-dolan-chastain-harrington.shtml
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:45 am

Behind the scenes video (only with Dolan, Harington and Chastain):

Belerofonte

Postby Kitten » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:49 pm

Natalie is due to film this soon (obv writing her pregnancy in I think) I dont think she has filmed anything for this, I think all the sightings may have been bogus for that, from an interview a few weeks ago

http://theplaylist.net/natalie-portman- ... um=twitter

Portman will be taking some time off the awards season circuit over the next few weeks to film a role in Xavier Dolan’s “The Death and Life of John F. Donovan.” She’ll play the mother of an 11-year-old boy who begins corresponding with a well-known movie star played by Kit Harrington. Why take on the part while currently pregnant with her second child and in the middle of a major Oscar campaign? For the 35-year-old actress the answer is easy.

“Well, it’s a very moving role and I really love Xavier,” Portman says. “He’s really just an incredible voice and I think he has a completely new way of shooting.”
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies
Kitten

Postby Belerofonte » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:18 pm

Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Jacob Tremblay to Star in Xavier Dolan's 'The Death and Life of John F. Donovan:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jacob-tremblay-star-xavier-dolans-death-life-john-f-donovan-973115

Set in the early 2000s, Donovan centers on an adult American TV star (Harington) and his correspondence with (a young actor-to-be Tremblay) living with his mother (Portman) in England. Their lives take dramatic turns when the existence of their pen pal relationship is publicly exposed, eliciting the most ill-founded assumptions, and sending Donovan in a vertical downfall. The movie is set in two time periods, with the other being decade later, when the young actor recollects his relationship with his past idol over the course of an interview.
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:16 am

Jacob Tremblay just has started filming:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSAuQDrgHQ8/

According to press releases a few months ago, Natalie played her mother in the film. Does this mean that Natalie is already shooting her scenes in London? Who knows...
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Thu May 04, 2017 11:29 am

Belerofonte

Next

Return to Natalie Portman