Star Wars

All things Natalie

What Your Favorite Star Wars Episode?

Episode I - The Phantom Menace
1
3%
Episode II - Attack of the Clones
7
21%
Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
6
18%
Episode IV - A New Hope
3
9%
Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
15
44%
Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
2
6%
 
Total votes : 34

Re: Star Wars

Postby Carlito Brigante » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:06 pm

I do think that the blind universal love for this movie is as idiotic as the blind universal hate for the prequels. I don't mind people trying to be critical about it. Adam Driver does looks like a goofball when he takes off the mask. And Poe Cameron's dialogue at the beginning is awkward as hell. There was a scene when I thought he was going to tell Finn... "You complete me." He ends up saying... "You completed my mission." :lol:
Carlito Brigante
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:39 am

Re: Star Wars

Postby awiseone » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:46 am

Rachel wrote:
thevoid99 wrote:All you people who dislike TFA are a bunch of jabronis. Who gives a shit if TFA is derivative of ANH. At least it isn't trying to insult you with a bunch of lame political allegories, overwashed CGI, bad acting, and shitty characters who aren't funny.

You're all upset because Natalie didn't appear in a franchise that worked and it took someone like J.J. Abrams as well as Lawrence Kasdan and Michael Arndt to finally get it right. If anything, the person you all should be mad at is George Lucas for making Natalie look bad and have her act with some roody-poo candy-ass who can't act for shit.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be waiting in line for Episode VIII. And if you're not down with that... I got 2 words for ya.... SUCK IT!!!

Image


Image

I'll be in line with you.





Go for it because I really don't give a shit what you think or what you do :D
Last edited by awiseone on Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
awiseone
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Re: Star Wars

Postby awiseone » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:00 am

Carlito Brigante wrote:I do think that the blind universal love for this movie is as idiotic as the blind universal hate for the prequels. I don't mind people trying to be critical about it. Adam Driver does looks like a goofball when he takes off the mask. And Poe Cameron's dialogue at the beginning is awkward as hell. There was a scene when I thought he was going to tell Finn... "You complete me." He ends up saying... "You completed my mission." :lol:





Just had a great discussion with my son who saw the movie today he liked it a lot and although It did not change my opinion he made some great points regarding why it's presented like this and where he thinks the story is going...
User avatar
awiseone
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Re: Star Wars

Postby thevoid99 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:45 am

awiseone wrote:
Rachel wrote:
thevoid99 wrote:All you people who dislike TFA are a bunch of jabronis. Who gives a shit if TFA is derivative of ANH. At least it isn't trying to insult you with a bunch of lame political allegories, overwashed CGI, bad acting, and shitty characters who aren't funny.

You're all upset because Natalie didn't appear in a franchise that worked and it took someone like J.J. Abrams as well as Lawrence Kasdan and Michael Arndt to finally get it right. If anything, the person you all should be mad at is George Lucas for making Natalie look bad and have her act with some roody-poo candy-ass who can't act for shit.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be waiting in line for Episode VIII. And if you're not down with that... I got 2 words for ya.... SUCK IT!!!

Image


Image

I'll be in line with you.





Go for it because I really don't give a shit what you think or what you do :D


Well you're going to have to. After all, I don't recall anyone in the film that said embarrassing lines like "Hold me Ani, hold me like you did in Naboo". And after Episode VIII comes out and succeeds, you will have to.... SUCK IT!!!!!
"I wanna be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal from "Secretary"
User avatar
thevoid99
 
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 6:27 pm
Location: Smyrna

Re: Star Wars

Postby Carlito Brigante » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:24 am

My general argument is... Who the hell gives a crap?? It's a freaking movie!! Who gives a shit about somebody's childhood? So I watched Empire Strikes Back a hundred times when I was a kid because that's the one my father got me. I liked the damn movie. Who gives a shit? It's a movie. It's a bunch of people hanging around in weird clothes. Why do I care if somebody likes it or not? People are just freaking morons. Are they so miserable that all of a sudden their childhood memories become shattered over a cgi lizard? What a bunch of idiots.
Carlito Brigante
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:39 am

Re: Star Wars

Postby awiseone » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:01 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-abra ... 50324.html
40-unforgivable-plot-holes-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens
"I loved the film. Seriously, I did. And yet it also has more plot holes than any film I've ever seen, which makes the reviews it's getting pretty irksome. Why can't we just admit that BB-8 is adorable, Finn is hilarious, Rey is badass, seeing Han and Chewie again was awesome, the special effects were tremendous, Poe is Soloesque, Kylo Ren is intriguing, and this movie makes absolutely no sense whatsoever?

Below are 40 plot holes in The Force Awakens. A few are trifling, but most are pretty damning. All of them were entirely unnecessary -- given the amount of time put into this film, the number of people who worked on it, and the amount of money everyone involved in it knew it stood to make -- and in this respect can be deemed unforgivable..."
User avatar
awiseone
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Re: Star Wars

Postby awiseone » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:05 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-abra ... 56844.html

20-more-plot-holes

"This past Monday, I published an article entitled "40 Unforgivable Plot Holes in Star Wars: The Force Awakens." I wrote that while I loved the film, I'd found in it so many plot holes that I'd felt compelled to do something I'd only ever done one other time -- for the second film in the Hobbit series -- which is compile a list of plot holes. Perhaps predictably, much of the debate the article started concerned the definition of a "plot hole." (In fiction and screenwriting, a "plot hole" is simply a logical inconsistency; if you believe it to be something else, I'd respectfully ask you to re-check your sources. That said, one person's "logical inconsistency" is often another's mere "coincidence.")

For instance, it's not a plot hole that Rey can speak Wookiee; it's a plot hole that Han and Chewie aren't surprised by it. It's not a plot hole that Captain Phasma's character is lame; it's a plot hole -- a logical inconsistency -- that she swings wildly between being hardcore and pathetic for no reason whatsoever other than to advance the plot. It's not a plot hole that Finn has a crisis of conscience during his first military operation; it's a plot hole that Phasma makes clear Finn has been 100% compliant for more than two decades, despite knowing what the First Order is and does, and that a single instant then brings him 100% online (not even just 95%) morally. It's not a plot hole that R2D2 doesn't offer the Resistance Luke's whereabouts; it's a plot hole -- in a film world in which we know R2D2 can be forcibly made to reveal his stored data by human owners -- for the Resistance to never have tried (or, not been successful at) accessing data they knew from past experience R2D2 almost certainly had. And so on..."
User avatar
awiseone
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Re: Star Wars

Postby Rachel » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:21 pm

I have just one question for people who dislike the sequel but are fans of the prequels: why do you hate fun?
Rachel
 
Posts: 2748
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 2:38 pm

Re: Star Wars

Postby Carlito Brigante » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:55 pm

awiseone wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-abramson/20-more-plot-holes-from-s_b_8856844.html

20-more-plot-holes

"This past Monday, I published an article entitled "40 Unforgivable Plot Holes in Star Wars: The Force Awakens." I wrote that while I loved the film, I'd found in it so many plot holes that I'd felt compelled to do something I'd only ever done one other time -- for the second film in the Hobbit series -- which is compile a list of plot holes. Perhaps predictably, much of the debate the article started concerned the definition of a "plot hole." (In fiction and screenwriting, a "plot hole" is simply a logical inconsistency; if you believe it to be something else, I'd respectfully ask you to re-check your sources. That said, one person's "logical inconsistency" is often another's mere "coincidence.")

For instance, it's not a plot hole that Rey can speak Wookiee; it's a plot hole that Han and Chewie aren't surprised by it. It's not a plot hole that Captain Phasma's character is lame; it's a plot hole -- a logical inconsistency -- that she swings wildly between being hardcore and pathetic for no reason whatsoever other than to advance the plot. It's not a plot hole that Finn has a crisis of conscience during his first military operation; it's a plot hole that Phasma makes clear Finn has been 100% compliant for more than two decades, despite knowing what the First Order is and does, and that a single instant then brings him 100% online (not even just 95%) morally. It's not a plot hole that R2D2 doesn't offer the Resistance Luke's whereabouts; it's a plot hole -- in a film world in which we know R2D2 can be forcibly made to reveal his stored data by human owners -- for the Resistance to never have tried (or, not been successful at) accessing data they knew from past experience R2D2 almost certainly had. And so on..."


Well, your argument is completely full of holes. For starters if you're so upset about all the plot holes in this movie then you must absolutely hate the original Star Wars. The original Star Wars trilogy has so many gaffes and plot holes that to this day they've become the stuff of legends. Again nobody gives a crap about Star Wars plot holes. It's a sci fi. Audiences are generally more lenient to the subtleties of creating an entirely different universe as long as the story is engaging enough.
Carlito Brigante
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:39 am

Re: Star Wars

Postby thevoid99 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:07 pm

Carlito Brigante wrote:
awiseone wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-abramson/20-more-plot-holes-from-s_b_8856844.html

20-more-plot-holes

"This past Monday, I published an article entitled "40 Unforgivable Plot Holes in Star Wars: The Force Awakens." I wrote that while I loved the film, I'd found in it so many plot holes that I'd felt compelled to do something I'd only ever done one other time -- for the second film in the Hobbit series -- which is compile a list of plot holes. Perhaps predictably, much of the debate the article started concerned the definition of a "plot hole." (In fiction and screenwriting, a "plot hole" is simply a logical inconsistency; if you believe it to be something else, I'd respectfully ask you to re-check your sources. That said, one person's "logical inconsistency" is often another's mere "coincidence.")

For instance, it's not a plot hole that Rey can speak Wookiee; it's a plot hole that Han and Chewie aren't surprised by it. It's not a plot hole that Captain Phasma's character is lame; it's a plot hole -- a logical inconsistency -- that she swings wildly between being hardcore and pathetic for no reason whatsoever other than to advance the plot. It's not a plot hole that Finn has a crisis of conscience during his first military operation; it's a plot hole that Phasma makes clear Finn has been 100% compliant for more than two decades, despite knowing what the First Order is and does, and that a single instant then brings him 100% online (not even just 95%) morally. It's not a plot hole that R2D2 doesn't offer the Resistance Luke's whereabouts; it's a plot hole -- in a film world in which we know R2D2 can be forcibly made to reveal his stored data by human owners -- for the Resistance to never have tried (or, not been successful at) accessing data they knew from past experience R2D2 almost certainly had. And so on..."


Well, your argument is completely full of holes. For starters if you're so upset about all the plot holes in this movie then you must absolutely hate the original Star Wars. The original Star Wars trilogy has so many gaffes and plot holes that to this day they've become the stuff of legends. Again nobody gives a crap about Star Wars plot holes. It's a sci fi. Audiences are generally more lenient to the subtleties of creating an entirely different universe as long as the story is engaging enough.


THANK YOU!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!!!
"I wanna be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal from "Secretary"
User avatar
thevoid99
 
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 6:27 pm
Location: Smyrna

Re: Star Wars

Postby Rachel » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:39 am

None of the Star Wars movies are anywhere close to perfect. The original series and its sequel are fun, fast, brainless popcorn movies. If you think about them too hard, they'll start to unravel. The prequels' problem is that they're ponderous (even with the zippy editing) and humorless (unless you're five and still think poop jokes are funny I guess). They're about as fun as watching someone else play a video game with ugly 90s era graphics and too many cutscenes. Or alternatively, flipping between Cartoon Network and C-SPAN every five minutes.

Literally all of the SW characters are basic, depthless archetypes. Ford, Fisher, Boyega, Ridley, etc. breathed a little life into them and gave them personalities. The actors in the prequels are flat and sedated and their characters suffer for it. They look more like they're standing/sitting around in somebody's shitty play saying words at each other on sterile, fake-looking sets.

Did I tick all the prequel hater boxes? Should I mention something about the forced romance and weird racist caricatures??
Rachel
 
Posts: 2748
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 2:38 pm

Re: Star Wars

Postby Carlito Brigante » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:08 pm

Not really. I'm just fascinated by the fact that people think that making a movie is just a walk in the park. The prequels were supposed to be instant classics because, what he hell, all you need is a camera, right? Sure, The Force Awakens just reached the billion dollar mark. Well, guess what. All that money won't even begin to make up for the financial disasters that were Tomorrowland, The Lone Ranger, and John Carter. The critically acclaimed Star Wars: The Force Awakens is barely breaking even.

Meanwhile you have a complete idiot critic telling readers not to watch the Point Break remake because the movie sucks. Well, Warner Brothers is broke so the idiot critic might soon get her wish. Now I'm going to let you in on a little secret. All of Hollywood is broke. They're dead dead broke. They're as broke as Tom Cruise in a Jerry Maguire movie. And the reason they've gone broke is because the industry right now is really in the hands of idiot movie critics who are really failed filmmakers that simply settled for the next best thing and would love nothing more than to see movie studios being run to the ground. Why? Because movie critics are not filmmakers. That's why. They're too upset that they couldn't make it.

When you think about all that and try to stomach the reality of it, all of a sudden the notion that Jar Jar Binks may or may not be a racist caricature does sounds a little superfluous, don't you think?
Last edited by Carlito Brigante on Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlito Brigante
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:39 am

Re: Star Wars

Postby Dazza » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:08 pm

Rachel nails it. They're all flawed but the best films (ie not the prequels) at least have energy, memorable characters, emotion and as she said, fun. Rey and Finn and Han interacting is just enjoyable. The prequels are stripped of all humanity. There is a stiffness to the framing, writing and acting that makes every interaction a complete chore.

My main problem with the new film is just how it is so beholden to the beats of A New Hope. The casting and energy and feel of the universe is compelling again but I just wish there had been more imagination. I'm sure the next film will deliver that though.
User avatar
Dazza
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5940
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 12:19 am
Location: South Africa

Re: Star Wars

Postby Rachel » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:36 pm

Carlito Brigante wrote:When you think about all that and try to stomach the reality of it, all of a sudden the notion that Jar Jar Binks may or may not be a racist caricature does sounds a little superfluous, don't you think?


Nah, I'm not going to defend a veteran director with too much hubris and no one reigning him in because making movies is hard.
Rachel
 
Posts: 2748
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 2:38 pm

Re: Star Wars

Postby Carlito Brigante » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:03 pm

That's what I figured. Still he is the sole reason movies are the way they are today. People like George Lucas are the kind of visionary individuals that have shaped the modern world, like Steve Jobs, and still the guy is being hated on account of one stupid character. I get it. George Lucas is like an angry Santa Claus, but he deserves much better.
Carlito Brigante
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:39 am

PreviousNext

Return to Natalie Portman

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests