Natalie News Thread

All things Natalie

Re: Natalie News Thread

Postby Belerofonte » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Yeah, it´s fine ... but at this point, it does not matter what she says. There will ALWAYS be people who criticize for it. Now that she has shown her regret for having signed that petition, some are criticizing her for not having done so much earlier.

There are a lot of people angry and outraged by something on the internet and social networks. Always :wink:
Belerofonte

Postby fanatical610 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:47 pm

Belerofonte wrote:Yeah, it´s fine ... but at this point, it does not matter what she says. There will ALWAYS be people who criticize for it. Now that she has shown her regret for having signed that petition, some are criticizing her for not having done so much earlier.

There are a lot of people angry and outraged by something on the internet and social networks. Always :wink:

Was she ever asked about it before? Praise to this interviewer for actually asking the question in the first place. Over the years I’ve seen Natalie receive lots of criticism; some fair, some not. It used to really upset me but you know what? I’m still a fan after all these years and it’s not going to change. The anonymity of the internet gives people abandon to criticise.
"When you get older, you realize it's a lot less about your place in the world but your place in you. It's not how everyone views you, but how you view yourself" - wise words from NP
fanatical610

Postby Belerofonte » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:27 pm

Reese Witherspoon, Jane Fonda among celebs urging New York Gov. Cuomo to raise tipped wage:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peo ... 446117002/

Sixteen actresses, including Jane Fonda, Sarah Jessica Parker, Reese Witherspoon and Natalie Portman, are urging New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo to raise the wage paid to tipped workers.

The women signed onto a letter to the Democratic governor as his administration examines whether to eliminate the subminimum wage paid to restaurant servers and other workers who make tips.

The actresses invoked the #TimesUp hashtag and wrote that relying on tips forces many workers to endure widespread sexual harassment.

Others signing onto the letter include Lily Tomlin, Rashida Jones, Amy Poehler, America Ferrera, Jessica Chastain, Amber Tamblyn, Brie Larson, Debra Messing, Michelle Williams, Erika Alexander, Ashley Judd, and Sarah Silverman.

Cuomo has called for hearings on the tipped wage to be held around the state.
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:08 pm

Natalie is in the March for our lives Today:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgt2WOxhr8z/
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:09 pm

Genesis Prize cancels ceremony after 2018 winner Natalie Portman said she won’t visit Israel:

https://www.jta.org/2018/04/19/news-opi ... sit-israel

The Genesis Prize announced it was canceling its prize ceremony in Israel in June after 2018 recipient Natalie Portman said she would not take part in light of “recent events.”

On Thursday, the Genesis Prize Foundation, which awards what it calls the “Jewish Nobel,” said it was “very saddened” that the Israeli-American actress would not take part in the ceremony. The foundation said that Portman’s representative notified it that “[r]ecent events in Israel have been extremely distressing to her and she does not feel comfortable participating in any public events in Israel” and that “she cannot in good conscience move forward with the ceremony.”

The Genesis Prize Fondation cancelled the prize ceremony, saying in a statement that its organizers “fear that Ms. Portman’s decision will cause our philanthropic initiative to be politicized, something we have worked hard for the past five years to avoid.”

Portman did not specify which events caused her distress, although the United Nations and the European Union recently called for investigations into the use of live ammunition by Israel’s military following clashes along the border with Gaza that have left dozens of Palestinians dead and hundreds wounded. Israel celebrated the 70th anniversary of it independence on Thursday.
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:39 am

Natalie Portman Denounced By Israeli Government Over Decision Not to Attend Awards:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ds-1104390

Israel's Minister of Culture & Sport Miri Regev has denounced Natalie Portman's decision to decline an award in her homeland of Israel over politics.

"I was saddened to hear that Natalie Portman has fallen as a ripe fruit in the hands of BDS supporters," stated Regev associating her act with the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement against Israel.

"Natalie, a Jewish actress who was born in Israel now joins those who refers to the success and wonder of the rebirth of Israel as 'A Tale of Darkness and Darkness'."

Regev's reference was to the Oscar-winner's 2015 directorial feature debut A Tale of Love and Darkness, an adaptation of the autobiographical novel by Israeli author Amos Oz, shot in Jerusalem.

Portman had been due to collect the Genesis Prize, but pulled out Thursday, with a rep telling the event that “[r]ecent events in Israel have been extremely distressing to her and she does not feel comfortable participating in any public events in Israel” and that “she cannot in good conscience move forward with the ceremony."

Along with Regev's comments, social media backlash ensued Friday morning local time with many taking offence not only at Portman's announcement but its timing as Israel wrapped up its 70th Independence Day, celebrated on Thursday.

"She’s spitting in her homeland's face on our most celebratory day," read an online comment, while others called it nothing short of "treason" and "a shameful elitist choice against her fellow countrymen" and "succumbing to BDS movement's ploy".

Some simply suggested the award be given to Gal Gadot "who represents our country with great honor."

Meanwhile, PACBI, the academic and cultural arm of the BDS movement, a Nobel Peace Prize-nominated pro-Palestinian activist group that seeks to cut global ties with Israel, praised Portman's move.

"After decades of egregious human rights violations against Palestinians, Israel's recent massacre of peaceful protesters in Gaza has made its brand so toxic that even well-known Israeli-American cultural figures, like Natalie Portman, now refuse to blatantly whitewash, or art-wash, Israeli crimes and apartheid policies," it said in a statement.

While Portman declined further comment, the decision comes as an apparent response to mass protests on the Gaza-Israel border that saw scores of Palestinians shot dead by Israeli Defense Forces and more than 1,000 injured, and her ongoing opposition to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Portman's criticizing of Netanyahu dates back to his 2015 election day video message on Facebook urging supporters to hurry up and vote as, "The right-wing government is in danger, Arab voters are heading to the polling stations in droves".

He later apologized, acknowledging "the things I said a few days ago hurt some Israeli citizens".

"We, who have such a history with antisemitism, should understand the danger of racism and of how we treat minorities, and I felt that his comments were very much not showing a Jewish spirit of equality and dignity and peace", said Portman during an interview that year with The News Company's Yonit Levi.

"I think all Israelis know that it's much easier to criticize in Israel than outside, I don't know, it's such a hard combination to be... to obviously have deep love for the place you're from and also see what's wrong with it. So it becomes a tricky thing, certainly increasingly tricky”.
Belerofonte

Postby thevoid99 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:47 pm

Honestly. Fuck Israel. They portray themselves as victims when they've done little to create a resolution with Palestine as their recent affiliation with the Dictator of the United States of America hasn't made them any better.
"I wanna be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal from "Secretary"
thevoid99

Postby Belerofonte » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Natalie's response to the controversy:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhzyyPWhnVf/

@natalieportman: My decision not to attend the Genesis Prize ceremony has been mischaracterized by others. Let me speak for myself. I chose not to attend because I did not want to appear as endorsing Benjamin Netanyahu, who was to be giving a speech at the ceremony. By the same token, I am not part of the BDS movement and do not endorse it. Like many Israelis and Jews around the world, I can be critical of the leadership in Israel without wanting to boycott the entire nation. I treasure my Israeli friends and family, Israeli food, books, art, cinema, and dance. Israel was created exactly 70 years ago as a haven for refugees from the Holocaust. But the mistreatment of those suffering from today’s atrocities is simply not in line with my Jewish values. Because I care about Israel, I must stand up against violence, corruption, inequality, and abuse of power.

Please do not take any words that do not come directly from me as my own.

This experience has inspired me to support a number of charities in Israel. I will be announcing them soon, and I hope others will join me in supporting the great work they are doing.
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Likud attacks ‘hypocrite’ Natalie Portman after actress snubs Netanyahu:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/likud-att ... netanyahu/
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:35 pm

Duplicate post...
Last edited by Belerofonte on Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:35 pm

Of all the (most angry) opinion pieces these last couple of days, this one I think hits the nail on Natalie's decision not to attend the Genesis Prize Ceremony...

Natalie Portman Just Taught Us How To Criticize Israel With Love:

https://forward.com/opinion/399422/nata ... with-love/

In today’s increasingly tribal, zero-sum world, there is no discussion more tribal and zero-sum than the one surrounding Israel.

Despite the plaintive cries of lovers of Israel that support for Israel does not mean one has to agree with every action Israel does, this seems to be the exact reasoning both the pro-Israel and anti-Israel camps have agreed on.

To criticize Israel, it would seem, means you are part of BDS, a hater of Israel, and a believer that it should be dissolved and the whole Zionist experiment eradicated.

And that is by people on both sides.

No moment better encapsulates this reality than the decision by Natalie Portman not to attend an award ceremony held in Jerusalem in her honor. The Genesis Prize Foundation, the organization behind the award which has been labeled the “Jewish Nobel Peace Prize,” is behind the award. But more to the point, and a reality that has been ignored by most commenting on the issue, it is an award that is awarded in partnership with the Israeli Prime Minister’s Office.

And as Portman made clear, “I chose not to attend because I did not want to appear as endorsing Benjamin Netanyahu, who was to be giving a speech at the ceremony.”

In other words, she was not boycotting Israel, or even the award. She was refusing to participate in a ceremony the prime minister of Israel was attending. It’s hardly different than NBA players refusing to meet with a certain president of the United States.

And yet, like hungry wolves fighting over scraps of loyalty, the pro- and anti-Israel movements have tried to paint her as an enemy of Israel.

Israeli Culture Minister Miri Regev claimed that Portman “fallen like ripe fruit into the hands of BDS supporters.”

And an admittedly marginal Israel MK called called for her to lose her citizenship.

Meanwhile, pro-Israel organizations in America like StandWithUs have ripped her apart.

And on the side, we’ve seen supporters of BDS write things like, “Actually, Natalie Portman, You ARE Practicing BDS,” in which writer Yousef Munayyer refuses to take Portman at her word when she says, “I am not part of the BDS movement and do not endorse it.”

And virulently anti-Zionist blog Mondoweiss could hardly contain their salivating with the headline, “Come in, Natalie, the water’s fine.”

Again and again, each camp treats Portman like an object to be used as opposed to a person with complicated thoughts and emotions who has made a thoughtful decision not to attend one specific event out of thoughtful, considered conviction.

This is the poisonous danger and evil of blind tribalism. One cannot criticize a side without being labeled a traitor. It is also the result of being so utterly lost in a world of soft-headed, hard-hearted conviction that it has become impossible to see how an act of criticism can come from love instead of hate.

And yet, that is exactly what Natalie Portman has chosen to do: critique specific Israeli actions and one specific leader because of her love for Israel.

Portman has done something vital for the future of Israel: She has reminded it and its detractors of a healthy way to have discourse. Not by trying to have two sides pulling against each other, with no space in between, and all on the other side evil, but through a position that transcends division. One where one can truly be critical of Israel and still hope for its well-being.

To supporters of Israel, this should be a gift. It’s a reminder that there are people out there who will fight for it even when they don’t agree with it. Portman’s statement spent more time on its love of Israel than its disdain of Israel’s current leader. And it has opened a possibility for those who are critical of Israel to not think the only option is to barge towards the anti-Zionist camp.

By getting so angry at Portman, blowhards on both sides have fed the narrative that supporting Israel means one can’t criticize it. And in so doing, they’ve pushed away a friend of Israel, basically encouraging her to join forces with extremists by already labeling her as such.

Meanwhile, the salivating anti-Zionist camp should realize that Portman’s statement has caused such a stir precisely because it does not represent their demonization of the state. By celebrating Israel and its humanity, she has sent a vital reminder that Israel is not a genocidal, Nazi-like regime. It is a complicated democracy that faces unimaginable obstacles towards achieving true, lasting peace. Until they treat Israel as such, they will continue to be relegated to the sidelines of the discussion around Israel.

Ultimately, Portman’s decision was a bombshell precisely because she does not represent the extremes that have dominated the PR battle over Israel. It was a fair critique, thoughtfully and articulately expressed without demonizing an entire country.

In a discussion where no one seems able to critique without demonization or support without blindly agreeing, we should be thankful that voices like Portman’s exist.
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:43 pm

FILMMAKER AMOS GITAI DEFENDS PORTMAN’S CEREMONY BOYCOTT:

http://m.jpost.com/Israel-News/Filmmake ... ott-552439
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:01 pm

WHY EVERYONE IS WRONG ABOUT THE NATALIE PORTMAN GENESIS PRIZE SCANDAL:

The Israeli-born actress doesn’t support BDS, isn’t an antisemite, might still donate the money and isn’t the first to skip the award ceremony.

http://m.jpost.com/Diaspora/Why-everyon ... dal-552454
Belerofonte

Postby Belerofonte » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:07 am

Ignore Natalie Portman’s Own Words About Netanyahu and BDS. After All, She’s Only a Woman:

https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/ignore- ... -1.6016028
Belerofonte

PreviousNext

Return to Natalie Portman