NP.com makeover

Anything to do with the site

Postby Jenski » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:51 am

What's the system used for comments (on the front page)?
Jenski

Postby Carlotto » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:46 am

Nothing fancy, there is merely a link which shows if there have already been comments posted...
You click on the link and you can read the comments and write your own
Carlotto

Postby Jenski » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:53 am

I mean, what's the actual system? Some sites use CuteNews or Wordpress, or just get a site template with comments built in. I'm wondering what the actual system is.
Jenski

Postby Dazza » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:15 pm

It involves cucumbers and doves.

:wink:

I'll refer Kris to this thread. I just say "I want this this and this, make it happen BITCH!" and then he weaves his magic wand.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Kris » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:24 pm

What? There's a system?? And me being swedish, the land of the free anarchistic pirate bayers went out of my way to make sure there is no system what so ever, so much so that Dazza can barely do his "work" without checking with me first. YES! World domination shall be mine!!!

No seriously though, there is really no system involved here. It's just a bunch of homemade scripts by me. Honestly! At work I get enough crap from "systems" like IBMs sphere and ms sharepoint that I can't make heads or tails out of it, so I preferred to do all the coding myself from the ground up. That way I know exactly what goes where...

Now why tha hell doesn't the "latest news" work!? GAH!!!
Kris
Site Admin

Postby Rachel » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:12 pm

Daz, are you using Photoshop or GIMP (or something else?)? Just a tip:

Rachel

Postby Dazza » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:24 am

I open image with ACDSee. Use that to edit and crop the image I want. Save with 100% quality. Then resize using the windows resize tool to 141xwhatever. Then open that with Photoshop, go to canvas size and make sure the whatever is 97. Save as highest quality and I'm done.

What is the method you would suggest? I'm sure you can resize and crop more accurately in photoshop anyway but I've just always done it the other way.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Dazza » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:40 am

Okay, I found the crop tool in photoshop. Then image resizer. When cropping is it possible to see the pixel dimensions as you're moving the crop tool over the image? That would be handy.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Carlotto » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:57 am

I don't think you can see the pixel dimension. However you can see the dimension in cm:

Carlotto

Postby silversurfer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:26 am

In Photoshop...

1.Ellect a Selection like in the pic above...
2. Press CTRL+C (Copy)
then
3.Go to File -->new

then it will show you the dimensions of the Selction in Pixel
silversurfer

Postby Dazza » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:46 am

OK, cool. Thanks.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Rachel » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:35 pm

Dazza wrote:I open image with ACDSee. Use that to edit and crop the image I want. Save with 100% quality. Then resize using the windows resize tool to 141xwhatever. Then open that with Photoshop, go to canvas size and make sure the whatever is 97. Save as highest quality and I'm done.

What is the method you would suggest? I'm sure you can resize and crop more accurately in photoshop anyway but I've just always done it the other way.

Saving jpegs multiple times degrades the image. I would just crop in one program. It helps to already have a set size. I don't remember the exact dimensions of the hot news pics, but let's just pretend they're 200 x 150 pixels. The Crop tool is the handiest/easiest to work with in my experience (I really wouldn't bother with Select and Resize in this case).

Select it, set your dimensions in pixels and set the resolution to 72. Then drag the crop tool across the image until you frame it up the way you want and crop it. You'll probably need to sharpen up ultra HQ images if you crop them that small, but go easy on the sharpen tool and make sure to fade it in Edit if you're going to.

When you're done, go to File > Save for Web & Devices. You should see some options like this:

You'll want the quality set fairly high (the image is so small that the high compression isn't going to make the file size huge) unless you want your image to look like a bunch of smooshed pixels. Hope that was easy to understand. I have CS3 but it shouldn't be too radically different on other versions.
Rachel

Postby silversurfer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:20 pm

I don't know why,...but like the current Forum pic....I think it fits good to the design....

but nethertheless i tryied something Animation,... ;)

wahrlich keiner ist weise der nicht das Dunkel kennt,das unentrinnbar und leise von allen Ihn trennt!(H.Hesse)
silversurfer

Postby Carlotto » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:23 pm

Rachel, you say that my graphics for the forum could be good with the shadow flipped the other way; but how could I do that? if I do, it will not be visible any more...
Carlotto

Postby Rachel » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:33 pm

Haha, I don't even know if it's proportionally (is that even a word? :() possible. Like, so that there's not a big gap of open space on the left side? I don't know, I'm weird.
Rachel

PreviousNext

Return to Natalieportman.com