A Twitter Annoyance

Anything to do with the site

A Twitter Annoyance

Postby celiavalerie » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:44 am

So...I knew that there were people out there pretending to be Natalie on twitter (very poorly I might add as it seems most can't spell or get anything but media-released images...often from the site), but I didn't really think many people would buy that. Turns out...I'm way wrong.
There are people who believe they are speaking directly with her...on multiple accounts sometimes (yes they follow one "real" Natalie and another "real Natalie", communicating with both).
Not only is it very harmful to say...a teenaged fan who thinks she's getting to speak with Natalie only to maybe grow up and realize what was really going on.

So I've simply made it clear on the np.com twitter (@natpdotcom) that I don't condone that sort of thing and that they should just admit they aren't her. Just seems...so sad (in both the negative emotional and pathetic sense).

Wouldn't be so bad if some didn't have thousands of followers believing that it's her (who clearly don't know much about her I guess...). All very gross.
celiavalerie

Postby JenR » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:21 am

i think its the viewers are weird for fallin for it as being the read deal. no celeb is goign to haev their papaziis photos on it, or have their entire layout based on their face.. im not sure how twitter is since i dont use it unless to follow movies., but when i would get on mypace i woudnt send "fan" requests (as i call it) to them if they didnt have like webcam or mobile photos of them.
JenR

Yeap

Postby celiavalerie » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:25 pm

Yeah it's very easy to tell who's real and who isn't. Most celebs take care of their "verification" pretty quickly which means yeap, it's them. Mindy Kaling is one of my favorite tweeps and you can easily tell it's actually her. Talks to her famous friends who respond to her, reveals little secrets the public hasn't caught hold of yet, and shows off her famous sense of humor. Rainn Wilson does the same and links to his own personal blog. If you can't tell Simon Pegg is really him well...you don't know Simon Pegg!
It's SIMPLE to tell who's real and who's not. I'm just really surprised that anyone buys these fake Natalies with like, what you said, papz pics as "proof" hours after they're released and backgrounds collaged from pics from np.com. I feel for Natalie, but I feel much worse for anyone who believes it and thinks they're interacting with a hero/idol/admired person/actor they like/whatever. I mean, some of it is sheer stupidity (yeah....Natalie can't type. She managed Harvard without mastery of the English language) while others maybe just haven't figured out the twitter layout and telling who's who.
I guess real fans will follow @natpdotcom or @natpofans or any of the other decent natalie fan-based twitters (all of which are...really different actually) and know that Natalie wouldn't tweet. The rest of the masses are just looking for attention from a celeb. Oh well...gonna do my best to report and block those saying they are her since that's you know...not legal.
celiavalerie

Postby robot » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:20 pm

I know there are (were?) people who had livejournals where they'd roleplay as celebrities. Like it wouldn't be a fake account to trick people, but to pretend to be the person in some sort of strange game with other people doing the same thing with other celebrities.

If you're going, "WTF?" right now, then I totally agree.

Anyway, maybe there's something like that going on here? Although it's still even weirder to not mention that in a profile or something.

As far as twitter accounts to read, I've read Mindy Kaling's occasionally and I like her. Actually, her being in No Strings Attached is a definite plus for the movie to me, on the assumption that she's too smart and funny to do a comedy that's terrible.
robot

Postby TwigV2 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:54 am

Yeah its pretty easy to tell if a celeb Twitter is phony. I follow a fake Mickey Rourke Twitter that's really funny, someone oughta do a fake Natalie one and make it fun.
"And the Oscar goes to...Natalie Portman"
TwigV2

Hmm

Postby celiavalerie » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:24 pm

Interesting about the LJ. I mean, I'm aware of celeb role play stuff on the web. That's more logical to me than actually pretending to others you ARE IN FACT the celebrity. At least you're just imagining.
Usually the super fake accounts (I know of the Mickey Rourke one you're talking about, some of the Gary Busey ones, etc) are obvious fakes which is actually allowed. They usually make it as clear as possible that they're not the celeb. Parody is fine on twitter. Impersonation is a serious violation of the terms of use.
Some of the "Nats" are more than likely just attention-seeking or sad uber-fans. Most of them I don't care about. It's the ones that have 1k+ followers all believing they're Natalie and responding as though they are her. Like, "I hope you loved my movie Black Swan!" or "Thanks for the support! I win award a lot!" (seriously these people can't type). One even flirts back with the people who throw creepy, pervy stuff at em.
I won't call them out since I think everyone knows who I'm talking about if they follow the twitter, but I did report an account for impersonation. It's being investigated now.
When I was about 12 and taking about a month break from acting, my friend was convinced she was communicating with Hayden Christensen on AIM. I warned her that it seemed highly unlikely, etc. The guy/girl who did it was pretty good. Knew their shit about Hayden (also...kinda sad). But when she found out it was indeed not him, it basically devastated her because she was a fan. After seeing that it's just not nice.
Obvious parody=fun, fine, one of the many great aspects of twitter. Impersonation=Illegal, mean, and disrespectful not only to Nat but more importantly her fans (sorry Natty, there's only one of you and there's thousands of us!).
Hell, even though I link my personal twitter on @natpdotcom people STILL sometimes think I'm her. Mainly is it the fault of these masses following them, perpetuating this? Yes. But it's pretty pathetic. I said a while ago on the twitter I would no longer discuss whether or not Natalie tweets. People cared way too much and didn't believe me because I kept my source private (though being a Natalie fan should let you know she doesn't tweet...).
celiavalerie

:)

Postby celiavalerie » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Oh and yes, I LOVE Mindy. She's a big reason I'll actually bother seeing No Strings. The Red Band had enough hilarious stuff in it and Natalie's character seems awesome (so at least it's a more unique female role for a rom com...just will never be my genre...and I'll never like Ashton)...but Mindy+Nat is awesome to me. She's the celebrity I RT the most on my personal twitter.
And I'd be all down with an obviously fake Nat parody account. If someone can do that well and make it funny I'd pimp them out all over twitter :P
celiavalerie

Postby Amy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:47 am

Beating head against wall. Fake "official" Natalie has 500 more followers today. I have contacted Natalie's publicist by email, Twitter, and Facebook to alert them... hopefully they'll take action. This impostor is disgusting! :evil:
"This being an actress thing is cute, but don’t you think it’s time to go to grad school?" (NatDad, to Nat)
Amy

Yeah...

Postby celiavalerie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:10 am

I'm actually surprised at this point that Ashton Kutcher hasn't said anything considering the majority of the tweets I'm seeing are directed at both him and I(amnotyouliar)Natalie. I mean....I know he gets a billion @ mentions a day but he's had to have seen at least a few of these things.
celiavalerie

Postby Amy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:05 am

Ugh. Just finished sending another batch of tweets to fake natalie fans.

Worst is, this impostor tricked the official SAG awards into thinking her account is real. They mentioned her account in a link to a charity auction. Disgusting!
"This being an actress thing is cute, but don’t you think it’s time to go to grad school?" (NatDad, to Nat)
Amy

Postby celiavalerie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:01 am

Yeah....that SAG mention really bothered me. Like they couldn't have gotten in touch with someone? Thx again Amy <3
celiavalerie

Postby Amy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:58 pm

SWEET, SWEET VICTORY!

"Sorry, the profile you are trying to view has been suspended."

Thank GOODNESS. Fake Natalie had jumped to almost 30,000 followers! I guess her people finally did something about it!
Amy

Return to Natalieportman.com