Reinstalling the server

Anything to do with the site

Reinstalling the server

Postby Kris » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:38 pm

It's that time again folks for some good old housecleaning! On monday we'll wipe the server and have it reinstalled nice and fresh for us. The server has been running nicely for 5 years without many issue but it's just a matter of things adding up.

So starting sunday you may see some slowness on the site as the database is transferred to our redundant server. Then on monday the DNS will change to the redundant server while we reinstall and configure everything on the primary server and switch back the DNS when it looks like it's done. Then after testing it for a day or so the db will be moved back as well. So expect a hickup or two early next week, ok :)

And it's so rare than I can say this and mean it so I just gotta go with it - "trust me, I'm a professional".

// Kris
8. Don't store all your backups in one place.If Cylons can benefit from off-site backup, so can you.
- PC Worlds "10 Business Lessons From 'Battlestar Galactica'"
Kris
Site Admin

Re: Reinstalling the server

Postby Kris » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:42 pm

Current status is:
Primary server is reinstalled, all services and files are transferred back and DNS changes should point everyone to the primary server now.
8. Don't store all your backups in one place.If Cylons can benefit from off-site backup, so can you.
Kris
Site Admin

Postby Rachel » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:36 pm

Has the site been acting really strangely for everyone else or is it just me? The latest post on the main site never showed up for me until I logged onto WordPress, three days later. Anything I upload to the gallery won't reflect on the main site unless I'm logged in, either. As soon as I log out, everything's gone again. :\ Hard refresh does nothing.
Rachel

Postby Carlito Brigante » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:43 pm

I noticed that there aren't any updates too. For a moment I thought Dazza had banned me. If it's acting strange on that side then there's a real chance that the site was attacked, but I don't want to sound paranoid just yet. It did happen before.
Carlito Brigante

Postby Rachel » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:45 pm

To be fair there hasn't been an update since the weekend. I posted one, but it's not showing up. I've cleared my caches and tried viewing the site with two different browsers and on three different operating systems, no dice.
Rachel

Postby Carlito Brigante » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:38 am

Someone posted a bizarre message at the free forum about android phones and later deleted it. I had never seen it happen. It looks like somebody could be looking for trouble. It might still be a glitch from the lastest update, but it still seems very strange. I hope it's not a big thing.
Carlito Brigante

Postby Belerofonte » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:32 am

Rachel wrote:Has the site been acting really strangely for everyone else or is it just me? The latest post on the main site never showed up for me until I logged onto WordPress, three days later. Anything I upload to the gallery won't reflect on the main site unless I'm logged in, either. As soon as I log out, everything's gone again. :\ Hard refresh does nothing.

Yes. I too feel the same a few days ago. On the PC I can see the last update on October 23, and in the iPad only the day before...
Belerofonte

Postby Rachel » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:23 pm

FWIW, the missing posts are showing up for me on all platforms as of this morning.

Idk if it's worth mentioning, but the site is unbearably slow when I'm logged in (with timeout errors), but just fine as soon as I log out.
Rachel

Postby Kris » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:37 pm

It seems that not a single cache addon for Wordpress is cutting it... none of them work as one would like and even expect them too, without paying money for them. And when you login you sidestep the cache which is why it's going so slowly. I'm seeing it too, trying to find out what's causing it, if it's an addon or something. Might be as simple as our template not being updated for 2 years :(
Kris
Site Admin

Postby susuki5678 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:17 pm

trying to find out what's causing it
gclub
susuki5678

Return to Natalieportman.com