How natalieportman.com looked wayback,traffic & member s

Anything to do with the site

Postby Spoonbat » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:44 am

I haven't spoken to Audio in years. If he had a problem with how I was running the site I'm sure he would have contacted me. But from the moment he handed over the site he's pretty much let us just do our thing.

Weird. You'd think he just sell the domain name to you. I don't know much about buying domain names but don't you have to maintain the name? Like you have to renew it every year??
Spoonbat

Postby Dazza » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:32 am

Correct. I asked to buy it from yeaaaars ago and he wasn't keen. But at the same time he's been offered some big bucks at times to sell it to an outsider but hasn't "cashed in" either.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Spoonbat » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Correct. I asked to buy it from yeaaaars ago and he wasn't keen. But at the same time he's been offered some big bucks at times to sell it to an outsider but hasn't "cashed in" either.

Wow. So he turned down big bucks offers as well? Strange.

Maybe he's waiting for an offer from Nat herself? You never know.

And just curious: you said "yeaaars" ago. So you mean you haven't even heard from this Audio guy in like half a decade? That would be really bizarre.
Spoonbat

Postby Dazza » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:06 pm

If he did sell it we'd just have to move to a new URL. Would suck to lose the prestige and it'd be a real pain in the ass to implement but the site as you know it would carry on exactly the same and with all the content.

There was a Natalie community (a chat and forum) that was incredibly tight knit and consisted of the very first wave of Nat fans. So Audio was always around both of those although less and less as time went on. Now both have gone the way of the dodo. So yeah, haven't spoken to him in a number of years. I think Kris was in contact went we made our first server switch.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Spoonbat » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:29 pm

If he did sell it we'd just have to move to a new URL. Would suck to lose the prestige and it'd be a real pain in the ass to implement but the site as you know it would carry on exactly the same and with all the content.

There was a Natalie community (a chat and forum) that was incredibly tight knit and consisted of the very first wave of Nat fans. So Audio was always around both of those although less and less as time went on. Now both have gone the way of the dodo. So yeah, haven't spoken to him in a number of years. I think Kris was in contact went we made our first server switch.

That would indeed suck badly. I think we'd lose a lot of our random interest traffic sadly.

You say the online Natalie fan community was "incredibly tight knit and consisted of the very first wave of Nat fans."

I'm not trying to dog you with all these questions - it just fascinates me because I didn't really become a big Natalie fan until around 2005. I had been a fan I suppose since I saw her in the Star Wars movies but it wasn't anything special until I rented Leon and then saw V for Vendetta in the theaters with my friends.

Were you a part of that "first wave?" And who else who's on the staff here was part of that same group?

And when would you say that era ended? 2003? 2004? Knowing my luck just before I became a big fan. :roll:

I remember there was a guy on here a few months ago who was talking about the old days. Australiaman or something like that. He loved that era. Did you like it better back then than now?
Spoonbat

Postby Dazza » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:50 pm

Back then I wasn't among the first. I think I came online around 97/98 so it must have been around then that I started posting. If I recall, Sanjiro also BURST ONTO THE SCENE around that time. But there were guys like Pher and Audio and Alex who had been around for at least a couple years prior. Sanji will probably remember the time line better.

I actually have an old post from 1999, which was from a well known poster called Pip (he was "famous" in the NP community for his fights with the dickhead webmaster of the then biggest Nat site), who broke up the posters into generations. Of course now, 10 years on, I would count everyone prior to TPM as being the first wave/generation.

For shits and giggles, here's the whole post:

Classic Natboard - The Original Posters

Niksun
Shannon
Audio
Pher
Tuskenland
Casp
Edges of Twilight
Talos
Gryphon
Dan
Dirk
Justin
alex ruiner
Bob

Natboard - The Next Generation

andy
JAF
FliPP
Goddan
Pip
Jen-Bob
Lobo
FAN
L.A.
Mark Urban
navonodo
Co
Lakitu
Scott Feldman
MIKE!
Elurew
Grover
Laces
Dave
samanmax
Nick
CamMan123
ken
Newsboy
Jason
Tanakakun
Nerf_Herder
TrY
qwak, king of the mole people

Natboard - Deep Posts Nine

aperson
Nuf
hazyblur
H, the Sidwolf
Kennan
Mr.NoName
elmo
helium
Case
Sith Rebel
Sweetpea
Elisa
True
TONY
kellybean
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Joanne
The Ladies' Man
Ben
PuLp PoRtMaN
hubba hubba
THE JUDGE
bb21
Julien

Natboard - Voyager

Lofreq
Sanjiro
The Passenger
peetar
Mikey
Vich
Angie
state of emergency
Lawnboy
pandora
Helium
Clutter
H
erratic
RedLobster
SiD
Danial
Caz
Grassroots
pooh
CROSS
Franny
Bridget
goldust777
Mr doe
Michael Hall
billabong
Mo'C
AndRew D
Tony Hulette
Fan_of_Natalie
Sondra
ShockWave
Quiet Demeanor

Natboard - The Pre-Pre-Star Wars Generation (I ran out of Star Trek shows, okay?)

TAM
X the Lurker
Ronin
DAZZA
Potbelly
Gawd
pastahero
skaav
Johnnywh
Crunchacca
sublime
Anubis
Frost
JoyDivision
Mr. Twig
StarWatch
skunkworks
Yurei Shiro

Natboard - The Last Pre-Star Wars Generation

plateau
AussieGuy
Sub-Zero
Ender
newophelia
Critical Pat
Soulplex
Spoz
Daniel
bobo
Glenn
KTang
Esker
chye-fhut
MOZO
Wingnut
Enkil
NYFOAD
MjK
vF
Jon
Billy Bob
c h i
Dreamer11
sony
lunch
Chachee
Mandalorian
Adrian
alter_ego
DrWHO
sideshowito
DanD
Crazy Dan

Natboard - The Star Wars Generation

futureman
EM
Eugene Chan
Gary
Ragnarok
Ryan Samiley
Texas Titan
Wild Bill
Kudos
Nat Fan
EvilWeasel
MMM
Mr. Leprachaun
Qui-Gon Jinn
Alex LR
Delial the Fallen
cookie
Eagles'
pzil0cyb3
Bryan Knight
Johnny
Chrono
..Michael..
Dan Shadow
ricky
ajohn
Tom Selleck
Ack Ick
Onyx
HighBC
Jedi Knight
Moka
Dirty Mac
Alpha
Avner
whoamiiamme
Will
C-3PO
John Fitzgerald
Sei-Gon (Jinn)
Jonathan
~Demosthenes~
The_Unknown
Mr. Unknown
senju
Cyber Trexx
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Spoonbat » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:27 pm

Dazza: this is reading like a good novel. :lol:

You have a really good memory man. You wouldn't by chance have the old message board transcripts on back-up file somewhere would you?

I'm sure we'd love to read them here now to see how far we've come over the years.

Bizarre story about that guy Pip and the other punk who ran the website. You said he was dividing fans into "generations." By that do you mean he was discriminating according to age? Or as in when you "came in" as a fan?
Spoonbat

Re: ........................................

Postby Dazza » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:11 pm

Spoonbat wrote:Dazza: this is reading like a good novel. :lol:

You have a really good memory man. You wouldn't by chance have the old message board transcripts on back-up file somewhere would you?

I'm sure we'd love to read them here now to see how far we've come over the years.

Bizarre story about that guy Pip and the other punk who ran the website. You said he was dividing fans into "generations." By that do you mean he was discriminating according to age? Or as in when you "came in" as a fan?

What good memory? Those names were from a post that Pip made in 1999 that I happened to save. And Pip was a good guy. This generations post was just something fun.

Only have a few odds and ends from back then. Some silly posts I made, all the posts about my first proper girlfriend (that someone printed out into a little booklet and gave to friends in Germany, which is how I still have them as he sent a copy), some memorable quotes from Nat chat etc etc.

I stumbled across the NPMB awards, or at least the nominations. This one was quite funny.

Most likely to still be on the NPMB in 5 years:
Sanjiro
DAZZA
Pip
Yurei
Alex

*high fives Sanji*

We out lasted them all! Although maybe Alex counts as well. Those were pretty accurate nominations.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby sanjiro » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:14 pm

where is alex? and flipp? and sub-zero? we need to have a picnic.

holy shit. the NPMB awards. there was a disaster. i remember the chat being hilarious though. funniest chat ever was on 9-11 though. we had a good time.
sanjiro

Postby Dazza » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:20 pm

Still chat with Alex and Flipp a lot. They're both at Alex's board along with Plat and Pass and Peter and a few others. But its very much the death throes.

"[sanjiro> yeah, the other day i was so angry. i was walking through my work and there was a tiny little 4 year old girl. all alone. no mom around. and i wanted to kick her across the store. but i didn't."
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby sanjiro » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:25 pm

i thought alex's board went away. and he was going to get a new one and email the link but i never got an email.

that's funny cause i just told someone that story the other day about the little girl. i wanted to punt her like a football and see how far she went. but i controlled my anger. like a grown up would.
sanjiro

Postby JenR » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:25 pm

where did JC go? i remember way back he'd update a lot and then suddenly disappeared.
JenR

Postby sanjiro » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:28 pm

yeah. he just disappeared one day. and then he came back with NP.org for awhile. but i think he disappeared from there too. is the AQMB still around? what a bunch of maroons.
sanjiro

Postby Dazza » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:29 pm

Sanji, mailed you the link.

Jen, he was doing np.org for awhile. He recently added me on facebook so he's still around.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby JenR » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:32 pm

yay he's not dead! xD

he should stop by NP.com for old times. He was funny.
JenR

PreviousNext

Return to Natalieportman.com