Mathilda - comic

Anything to do with the site

Postby Dazza » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:26 am



Thanks David but unfortunately it's not quite a high enough standard. Sorry.
User avatar
Dazza
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5940
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 12:19 am
Location: South Africa

Postby david » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:05 pm

“Not high enough standard?” that was an unnecessary comment from someone offering such poor compensation. Especially considering you had already privately rejected my work. Plus that’s a Hell of an attitude for someone who can’t come up with their own idea and has to steal someone else’s story.
If you want high standard I suggest paying for it. You have seen the piece of art that you are referring people too, haven’t you ? Is that what you refer to as high standard? If so, why isn’t that artist doing the project? I’m guessing that whomever did that work probably ended up getting paid less then minimum wage if anything at all. I get the impression this project will never be done, not WELL anyways.
david
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:28 pm

Postby Jayderek » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:57 pm

david wrote:“Not high enough standard?” that was an unnecessary comment from someone offering such poor compensation. Especially considering you had already privately rejected my work. Plus that’s a Hell of an attitude for someone who can’t come up with their own idea and has to steal someone else’s story.
If you want high standard I suggest paying for it. You have seen the piece of art that you are referring people too, haven’t you ? Is that what you refer to as high standard? If so, why isn’t that artist doing the project? I’m guessing that whomever did that work probably ended up getting paid less then minimum wage if anything at all. I get the impression this project will never be done, not WELL anyways.


steal someone else's story?? Were you not gung-ho about this project before being rejected for it? It sounds like a cool project to me.

You need to take rejection a wee bit better as well.

Dazza> do you have a particular style you're gunning for?

~Jason
User avatar
Jayderek
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:44 pm

Postby Dazza » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:40 pm

david wrote:“Not high enough standard?” that was an unnecessary comment from someone offering such poor compensation. Especially considering you had already privately rejected my work. Plus that’s a Hell of an attitude for someone who can’t come up with their own idea and has to steal someone else’s story.
If you want high standard I suggest paying for it. You have seen the piece of art that you are referring people too, haven’t you ? Is that what you refer to as high standard? If so, why isn’t that artist doing the project? I’m guessing that whomever did that work probably ended up getting paid less then minimum wage if anything at all. I get the impression this project will never be done, not WELL anyways.



Dude, what is your problem? Every other artist has been fine if I've had to say its not what we're looking for. And those that feel the $70 isn't enough have told me that much and I've accepted that without a problem. It's a job. If you don't want the job (because of the pay in this case) then don't apply for it. And don't apply for a job if you can't handle the word "no".
User avatar
Dazza
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5940
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 12:19 am
Location: South Africa

Postby Extreme Allah » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:11 pm

Man, this thread is getting good. David's stuff is pretty bad, and Dazza could've phrased that rejection a million different ways, all of them a little less douchey. You may have known this and just wanted to be an ass (which I have no problem with), and you may not have, but "beneath our standards" or "not up to standard," for whatever reason, has become sorta' the maximum rejection letter insult.

Amusingly, David would have been wrong about this job paying too little to ever be filled, had he been more talented. The comment sorta' admits he's not (talented). In the free market, there's no such thing as a job paying too little, if there are capable people willing to do it.

This project, to anyone who isn't a convention-level fan seems horribly artistically shackling. If you're trying to get a top-level artist, why not come up with a cool, new idea? I assume you're writing it. I'd imagine you could come up with an original premise. Are you not financing it yourself? If not, nevermind, I assume whoever owns the site is financing, and wouldn't be happy when you turned in the first issue of Dazza: King of the Jews.

Man, after the first paragraph, this was just mean and pointless and illinformed...which is classic Allah.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
User avatar
Extreme Allah
 
Posts: 8392
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:31 am
Location: Sandals Resort: Somalia

Postby Dazza » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:55 am

The reason I was a bit more mean this time is because it was the 3rd time I've had to tell the guy no so I thought I better try and be a bit more clear.

The first no was:

"Hi David,

Thanks for the interest. Unfortunately its not quite what we're looking for regarding Mathilda.

Regards,
Dazza"


He then asked "What are you looking for, or don' t you know?" to which I replied:

"Hi David.

If you look at the samples of our last artist (the images used in the ad that runs on the main page), thats generally what we're after.

Regards,
Dazza"



As for doing it about Mathilda, sure I would honestly have preferred to do something entirely original but I knew that there would have to be a hook for the Nat fans and I didn't think that just having a character that looks like Natalie would be enough. So the hook is Mathilda but aside from having a character called Mathilda who is a hitman it has nothing to do with the film, so I don't find it very restricting in that respect. And I realize I can't please every fan of the film, who has their own idea of what a sequel should be like, so that isn't too much of a hindrance to me either.

I have two guys who are investing in the project but their backing hinges on finding an artist that they are excited about.

If we don't find one and the project never gets off the ground, it's no big deal. It's not like this is some business plan, it's just a bit of fun for myself to try something new and for the visitors of the site to hopefully enjoy.
User avatar
Dazza
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5940
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 12:19 am
Location: South Africa

Postby Extreme Allah » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:03 am

I would've asked, "Not what I'm looking for. Do you have anything you didn't draw with an Etch-a-Sketch?." Then I would've laughed, and then sighed about how lonely I am. But then I'd remember about that RH album coming out, and forget my troubles. I'm the best.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
User avatar
Extreme Allah
 
Posts: 8392
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:31 am
Location: Sandals Resort: Somalia

Postby montoya1983 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:57 am

hello everybody, i am also an artist and a friend just told me about the m project, i am good with female anatomy and i have done some independent comic jobs,and i did loved "Leon", check my gallery at deviantart, "http://montoya1983.deviantart.com/", hope there is still a chance to participate. :wink:
montoya1983
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:48 am

Postby JenR » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:42 am

montoya1983 wrote:hello everybody, i am also an artist and a friend just told me about the m project, i am good with female anatomy and i have done some independent comic jobs,and i did loved "Leon", check my gallery at deviantart, "http://montoya1983.deviantart.com/", hope there is still a chance to participate. :wink:


*watches and Favs work*
User avatar
JenR
Moderator
 
Posts: 11640
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 2:58 pm
Location: USA - Texas

Postby Extreme Allah » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:26 am

montoya1983 wrote:hello everybody, i am also an artist and a friend just told me about the m project, i am good with female anatomy and i have done some independent comic jobs,and i did loved "Leon", check my gallery at deviantart, "http://montoya1983.deviantart.com/", hope there is still a chance to participate. :wink:


No offense, but your depictions of the female form create an impossible standard for young girls. Congratulations on fostering anorexia and encouraging breast implants.

Here at NP.com, we understand why Natalie is such a great role model. See, when when a young girl looks at her, she doesn't feel bad about herself. She'll just think, "yeah, she's pretty -- but I could be that pretty..."
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
User avatar
Extreme Allah
 
Posts: 8392
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:31 am
Location: Sandals Resort: Somalia

Postby montoya1983 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:58 am

non taken, what i can tell you is that i also love NP the way she is and what she represents and stands for, and that i am sure i can make a beautiful and respectful representation of her, i would never dare putting big fake breasts on her if that is what scares you.
Now i really don´t think it is necesary to start a discussion about the moral issues of some of my previous work. That was mostly for showing off i have some knowledge on the comic book creating thing or graphic novel, sounds more elegant.

Thanks for all the comments
montoya1983
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:48 am

Postby Extreme Allah » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:11 am

montoya1983 wrote:non taken, what i can tell you is that i also love NP the way she is and what she represents and stands for, and that i am sure i can make a beautiful and respectful representation of her, i would never dare putting big fake breasts on her if that is what scares you.
Now i really don´t think it is necesary to start a discussion about the moral issues of some of my previous work. That was mostly for showing off i have some knowledge on the comic book creating thing or graphic novel, sounds more elegant.

Thanks for all the comments


I was just joking, and I also play exactly zero role in the management of this site and forum. I'm not even responsible enough to be a moderator. Carry on.

Oh, also, I made this comic a while back, that I think is the basis for what Dazza's looking for:

Image

Good luck.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
User avatar
Extreme Allah
 
Posts: 8392
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:31 am
Location: Sandals Resort: Somalia

Postby JenR » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:22 pm

I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THAT PICTURE!! :lol: :lol:
User avatar
JenR
Moderator
 
Posts: 11640
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 2:58 pm
Location: USA - Texas

Postby Dazza » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:44 pm

Montoya, thanks for the interest. You're clearly a talented guy. I'm currently in negotiations with someone but there is a good chance he won't have the time needed. Can you mail me so I have your address on hand and if it falls through I'll get back to you to see if we can work something out.
User avatar
Dazza
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5940
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 12:19 am
Location: South Africa

caught my attention

Postby DancesWithWerewolves » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:16 am

Not really raising my hand to do the whole project, but I wouldn't mind being a part of it in general (due to time constraints.) Some samples of my stuff:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
DancesWithWerewolves
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:39 am

PreviousNext

Return to Natalieportman.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests