The Movie thread

Anything Goes

Re: The Movie thread

Postby quick_wit » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:19 pm

Suicide Squad was awful. If you want to see Viggo Mortensen naked, watch Captain Fantastic.

Out of topic: my manager made a Facebook group for some girls in our company to find a date for the cousin of her boyfriend. They think he needs to get out more. Am I being a bitch here or is that just tacky?
quick_wit

Postby quick_wit » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:42 pm

Rabid nerd fans are the worst, especially the ones who don't read past the headlines. I gave Rogue One a 7/10 but that didn't matter because as soon as I said retcon some nerds pitched a fit in the comments section. Geez.
quick_wit

Postby Dazza » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:21 pm

Caught up with a lot of films these holidays. From best to worst.

American Honey - Andrea Arnold creates art that speak to me. I appreciate that many will find this film shallow, overlong, grimy, etc etc. I thought it was beautiful.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople - Speaking of great directors, I was already a huge fan of Taika Waititi (What we do in the shadows, Boy) and this just cements his standing. Fascinated to see if he can transport his comedic sensibility onto Thor 3.

8/10

Toni Erdmann - The Cannes favourite is a really interesting take on the father-daughter relationship. Some of the character motivations and actions didn't land for me but when it's working it's quite something. The ending has me still thinking days later.

Krishna - My word. A family story that plays like a horror. This was, by design, a really bleak and uncomfortable sit. It's incredibly well made and brutally powerful but I wouldn't rush to see it again any time soon.

David Brent: Life on the Road - Fun seeing the character back. Some good awkward laughs like the old Office series. The ending was a bit cheap though.

The Fits - Almost silent film about adolescence. A strong little indie that brings something new to the magical realism genre.

7/10

Deepwater Horizon and Sully - Both quite enjoyable but forgettable. These days I really dislike Clint's work so I was impressed that there were no "how did that get in the film?" moments.

6/10

Mascots - Rough. I was never the biggest Christopher Guest fan but this was a chore.

5/10
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby quick_wit » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:07 pm

La La Land is so overrated. Amy Adams got snubbed! Natalie damn, she goes quiet and then boom, Oscar nomination bitches.
quick_wit

Postby quick_wit » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:42 pm

Hello everyone. My movie review blog is still running. It's been a while since I posted here so its gonna be too frickin' long to list everything I have reviewed since January.

Just head over to www.theviewingtank.wordpress.com

Thanks!
quick_wit

Postby quick_wit » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:35 pm

What did we think of Blade Runner 2049?

Yes the visual compositions are great. There are plenty of wallpaper, header, desktop screensaver worthy movie stills here. The combination of symmetrical, desolate, and depraved places were great. The acting was great too. It also managed to pay homage to the original, continue its themes, and move the franchise forward - this is a huge accomplishment for a sequel considering what we've been given by Hollywood.

What I didn't like is that all of this is too polished and calculated.

Lots of cinematic posturing and devoid of the ambiguous, vague lived-in neo-noir that made the original - and I believe an integral part of the franchise - great. The movie lingers too much on every frame to turn it into some pretty composition. The story isn't as deep as it thinks it is too. It's flat and sorely needs an antagonist to shake things up. Jared Leto is minimal here, but I wished they had a better villain than some blind gazillionare saying pseudo intellectual gibberish that echoed throughout the room. The future is still white and POC continues to be a thematic memory.

Overall a flawed overlong but still visual spectacle.

Full review here
quick_wit

Postby JenR » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:02 pm

I haven’t watched movies in a long time, but I finally was able to watch IT.

I like the film even though it was cliché. I haven’t watched the original since I was a kid so I don’t remember much when it comes to comparing the characters, storylines, etc. The movie didn’t terrify me but I kind of feel it wasn’t trying to scare adults. I feel this was a horror film for the kids, and if so that’s really cool. Totally creepy film either way.
JenR

Previous

Return to Off-Topic