Interesting pictures of your city

Anything Goes

Postby JenR » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:23 pm

Okay i'm in "college" now.. i go to class on Monday and Wednesdays in a closed down store. :roll:

Image

... hell of a parking lot.
User avatar
JenR
Moderator
 
Posts: 11640
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 2:58 pm
Location: USA - Texas

Postby maverick88 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:31 pm

JenR wrote:Okay i'm in "college" now.. i go to class on Monday and Wednesdays in a closed down store. :roll:


Have fun in college Jen.
There were some rumors that the University of Wisconsin was going to convert a closed down mall near where I live but I don't think that's going to happen.
"If it's Sunday, it's Meet The Press" - Tim Russert
maverick88
 
Posts: 6127
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 1:08 pm
Location: United States - Wisconsin

Postby JenR » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:24 pm

our mall is too! but another college has classes there. :lol:
User avatar
JenR
Moderator
 
Posts: 11640
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 2:58 pm
Location: USA - Texas

Postby natAHlee » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:04 pm

ou uni building has been a school, nursing home, bomb shelter and storage place
I think it is all a matter of love: the more you love a memory, the stronger and stranger it is.

- Vladimir Nabokov
User avatar
natAHlee
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 6:00 pm

Postby JenR » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:21 pm

wow i wish we had a bomb shelter, lol.
User avatar
JenR
Moderator
 
Posts: 11640
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 2:58 pm
Location: USA - Texas

Postby Herzwerk R.o.D » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:19 pm

Video from a storm in Brittany.

Being in one of those lighthouses during a storm must be great (even though I'd probably be scared to death)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m2LeNBY_5gk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m2LeNBY_5gk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
The geeks, Natalie Portman, Paris Hilton naked and Britney Spears's cunt shall inherit the Earth.
Herzwerk R.o.D
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: France

Postby Planet-Ex » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:19 pm

Nothing really interesting in my village. I grew up in a village with 2400 inhabitants. If you would look on a map of germany, it would be exactly in the middle (but still in western germany).

Our Biergarten:
Image

The "main" bar/restaurant (we have 4 bars for 2400 peeps...yes this is germany ^^)
Image

The Homepage
http://www.dalhausen.de


I live now in Essen.
http://www.essen.de/english/Aktuell_E/PortalAktuell_E.asp?navibereich=eeutd
aussietrooper20 wrote:she doesnt like touching the real ones to use in real life, exept the fake ones for films.
User avatar
Planet-Ex
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:50 am
Location: Germany

Postby Herzwerk R.o.D » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:28 pm



I've always find "Essen" to be a funny name for a city. It makes me think of food :D (Bratwurst <3) I've never been there though, I just spent time in Köln and Bonn (I love that city) in that Land.
The geeks, Natalie Portman, Paris Hilton naked and Britney Spears's cunt shall inherit the Earth.
Herzwerk R.o.D
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: France

Postby Planet-Ex » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:35 pm

Herzwerk R.o.D wrote:


I've always find "Essen" to be a funny name for a city. It makes me think of food :D (Bratwurst <3) I've never been there though, I just spent time in Köln and Bonn (I love that city) in that Land.


Hehehe I always thoughts the same before i went there. And to be honest i never thought Essen is that big. It's one of the biggest cities in germany.

To the Name (thanks to Wikipedia....Even I needed to learn this ;) ):

Origin of the name

Throughout the centuries, the name of the city changed continuously. The eldest known form is Asnithi, which changed to Essen over e.g. Astnidum, Assinde, Essendia and Esnede. The name Asnithi may have either referred to a region where many Ash trees were found or to a region in the East (of the Frankish Empire), though both translations are still disputed. The connection between the city name and the German word Esse (Old High German for fireplace) may be drawn because of the industrial history of the city, but is highly unlikely since the old forms of the city name originate from times before industrialization. What is safe to say, however, is that Essen does not refer to food (also Essen in German).


Köln is a really nice city! If you visit germany go to Cologne/Köln!!!

You seem to have seen a lot here Herzwerk R.o.D!
aussietrooper20 wrote:she doesnt like touching the real ones to use in real life, exept the fake ones for films.
User avatar
Planet-Ex
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:50 am
Location: Germany

Postby Herzwerk R.o.D » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:54 pm

Planet-Ex wrote:Köln is a really nice city! If you visit germany go to Cologne/Köln!!!

You seem to have seen a lot here Herzwerk R.o.D!


And Köln has the best beer, called Kölsch. I can drink liters of it!

I haven't seen enough of Germany, unfortunately. I've only been to Köln/Bonn twice (in december 2006 and 2007), and to Berlin in december 2004. I'm going to Bremen tomorrow, looks like a very nice city too.

I preferred Bonn over Köln, it's smaller but I love the atmosphere there, and I have very good memories from that town (especially of parties... every night).
The geeks, Natalie Portman, Paris Hilton naked and Britney Spears's cunt shall inherit the Earth.
Herzwerk R.o.D
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: France

Postby Planet-Ex » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:06 pm

Herzwerk R.o.D wrote:
Planet-Ex wrote:Köln is a really nice city! If you visit germany go to Cologne/Köln!!!

You seem to have seen a lot here Herzwerk R.o.D!


And Köln has the best beer, called Kölsch. I can drink liters of it!

I haven't seen enough of Germany, unfortunately. I've only been to Köln/Bonn twice (in december 2006 and 2007), and to Berlin in december 2004. I'm going to Bremen tomorrow, looks like a very nice city too.

I preferred Bonn over Köln, it's smaller but I love the atmosphere there, and I have very good memories from that town (especially of parties... every night).


To be honest I can't taste the difference between Kölsch and Alt (Düsseldorf Beer.... they are local enemies).

Have fun with the fish-heads up there :P


Image
aussietrooper20 wrote:she doesnt like touching the real ones to use in real life, exept the fake ones for films.
User avatar
Planet-Ex
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:50 am
Location: Germany

Postby JenR » Sat May 03, 2008 12:40 am

downtown:

Image

Image

Image

Image



this is an abandoned theater i've wanted to (also) buy.

Image


if i was a cheif, i'd turn it into a old fashion Hollywood restaurant... yes there would be Charlie movies and pictures on the wall.




I wish to take better pictures soon, when i get a better camera... and when i'm not sitting in a car.
User avatar
JenR
Moderator
 
Posts: 11640
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 2:58 pm
Location: USA - Texas

Postby greash » Mon May 05, 2008 4:55 am

Sorry to sound mega ignorant, but what is that?
Some people will offer you their hand and some won't
Last night I knew you, tonight I don't
I need somethin' strong to distract my mind
I'm gonna look at you 'til my eyes go blind
User avatar
greash
 
Posts: 5131
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 10:37 pm
Location: AUCKland

Postby Carlotto » Mon May 05, 2008 6:11 am

I think it is a receiving reservoir...
(I prefer the french word for it : "Château d'eau"... that's to say err... "Water castle" ^_^)



PS: perhaps it is not a receiving reservoir by the way. But it looks like one
User avatar
Carlotto
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:23 pm
Location: Toulouse, France

Postby greash » Mon May 05, 2008 7:04 am

Carlotto wrote:I think it is a receiving reservoir...
(I prefer the french word for it : "Château d'eau"... that's to say err... "Water castle" ^_^)



PS: perhaps it is not a receiving reservoir by the way. But it looks like one


like a water tower?
Some people will offer you their hand and some won't
Last night I knew you, tonight I don't
I need somethin' strong to distract my mind
I'm gonna look at you 'til my eyes go blind
User avatar
greash
 
Posts: 5131
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 10:37 pm
Location: AUCKland

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron