Championship Vinyl

Anything Goes

Re: Championship Vinyl

Postby quick_wit » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:53 am

Wasn't feeling it I guess.

I downloaded After Dark 2 and Chvrches. I'm generally not into Electronic music, but these are changing my mind.
quick_wit

Postby thevoid99 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:54 pm

I know everyone is on about Lady Gaga, Smiley Virus, Katy Perry, or anything else that is considered dangerous pop. Yet, none of these ladies have anything on Sky Ferreira as her album is just fucking amazing.

I would recommend listening to the song "24 Hours" which is right now, my favorite song of the year.
"I wanna be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal from "Secretary"
thevoid99

Postby Dazza » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:37 pm

She had a single like a year ago that was pretty great. Haven't been able to listen to the album in full yet but seems decent.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Dazza » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:12 am

Still need to check out the MIA album. She's not such a big priority as she once was for me.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby thevoid99 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:44 pm

I've heard the MIA album and I need another listen though it's a big improvement over the last one she did.

I don't like the Haim album at all. I don't understand the hype that surrounds them. I really don't.
thevoid99

Postby quick_wit » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:24 pm

Rachel wrote:It did not live up to all the hype for me. I found it underwhelming, even boring at times. :\

I tried to stay away from HAIM because their whole schtick kind of gives me secondhand embarrassment, but I couldn't resist. I've had Days Are Gone on repeat since it leaked.

New M.I.A. was a nice surprise, but perhaps just in comparison to how cringe-worthy her last album was.

Lady Gaga needs to stop taking herself so seriously and go back to making catchy, unpretentious pop music. I shouldn't have been disappointed given how weak her last effort was, but wow, Artpop is a stinker. There are a couple of tracks that could actually be good, but are ruined by embarrassing lyrics and her babbling over them. I don't know what I expected.

I just downloaded HAIM, I don't know anything about their schtick except they got a lot of buzz so I got curious. I still have to listen to the album in full.

I was actually rooting for Lady Gaga because everybody wanted her to fail. I wanted ONTD to explode. But then based on what I've been hearing its awful. I still have to listen to the album though.
quick_wit

Postby Extreme Allah » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:29 pm

HAIM is one of those bands where if they were my friends who happened to have that band, I would think they were amazingly talented and should be famous, but as a famous band, I have no clue why anyone is into them. I don't know what that means or why that is, but I don't like them. I don't dislike them either.

I just looked at the P-4rk top 50 albums this year, and have heard like 4 of them. I guess I'm a grownup now.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby quick_wit » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Listened to HAIM, catchy album, but I hear typical 80's beats rejuvenated for the indie listeners. New Yeah Yeah Yeahs is so-so. Looked at the Pitchfork list and I got 8, but I haven't listened to half of them. Not really impressed by new JT's album.
quick_wit

Postby thevoid99 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:12 pm

I love the YYYs album but HAIM... I don't like it very much at all.

Right now, Beck's new album is my favorite album of 2014 so far along with new releases by Dum Dum Girls, Phantogram, St. Vincent, Mogwai, and Warpaint.
thevoid99

Postby Dazza » Sat May 03, 2014 1:24 pm

Always struggled to get into her stuff. Think there were a couple songs I really liked off her first album (remember they were early on cos I'd always stop listening to the album early) but nothing has really grabbed me since. I kinda like the idea of her, just no songs to cling onto yet.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby quick_wit » Sun May 11, 2014 5:07 pm

did a first spin, sounds....predictable, tracks start slow and melancholic then builds up into something big. But then again I was half asleep while I was listening.

OT - I attended this summer party mixer at my bosses' house, the wife of the CEO. Things we're doing alright (free food, free booze). I steered clear of the CEO and his buddies, and then I saw him and my boss embracing to kiss, hella awkward.
quick_wit

Postby Dazza » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:35 pm

Love her so much. Listening to this now.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby quick_wit » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:30 am

mmm...checking out FKA, saw a video sounds nice. Just got into Sky Ferreira. Why is Lana del Ray famous? her music is meh to me
quick_wit

Postby thevoid99 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:09 pm

quick_wit wrote:mmm...checking out FKA, saw a video sounds nice. Just got into Sky Ferreira. Why is Lana del Ray famous? her music is meh to me

Finally, someone who is listening to Sky Ferreira. Her album is awesome.
thevoid99

Postby Dazza » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:19 pm

I don't mind Lana that much. It is very samey and all sorta pales to Video Games but there's a lot worse out there imo.
Dazza
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic