The unofficial weird/great/stupid questions thread

Anything Goes

Postby maverick88 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:54 am

buttsie wrote:If it aint fun why bother would be my take

Plenty of people seem to do just fine posting the occasional comment via the main page news without even stepping foot inside the forums

http://natalieportman.com/npcom.php?pag ... ewsid=4121

I sometimes wonder if people would be wiser not letting on as to their gender,age etc?

Seems to me once you do you make yourself a sitting duck in many ways

Thats true, if a person isn't having any fun on the forum then they can just post on the main news page if they want to but I think having a forum is still a good idea though because you can talk about different issues and get people's viewpoints.
"If it's Sunday, it's Meet The Press" - Tim Russert
maverick88

Postby buttsie » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:54 am

maverick88 wrote:

Plenty of people seem to do just fine posting the occasional comment via the main page news without even stepping foot inside the forums

I sometimes wonder if people would be wiser not letting on as to their gender,age etc?

Thats true, if a person isn't having any fun on the forum then they can just post on the main news page if they want to but I think having a forum is still a good idea though because you can talk about different issues and get people's viewpoints.

Both have their place but the main page is probably the best place if you want to stay on topic and avoid the closer personal attention which comes with being on a public forum

Likewise you can communicate with those your friends with on a board via PM,Email etc without really losing anything from not posting on the forum

I often wonder how much is said off forum versus said on it % wise
Stick around long enough and forums are like icebergs i think?
Small bits you read on the forum and all the banter and bitching you never see off it :lol:
buttsie

Postby maverick88 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:07 am

buttsie wrote:
maverick88 wrote:

Both have their place but the main page is probably the best place if you want to stay on topic and avoid the closer personal attention which comes with being on a public forum

Likewise you can communicate with those your friends with on a board via PM,Email etc without really losing anything from not posting on the forum

I often wonder how much is said off forum versus said on it % wise
Stick around long enough and forums are like icebergs i think?
Small bits you read on the forum and all the banter and bitching you never see off it :lol:

Yeah, at times I often wondered myself what was being said off the forum behind the scenes. :lol:
maverick88

Postby Carlotto » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:59 pm

What is thanksgiving about?
Carlotto

Postby maverick88 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:15 pm

Carlotto wrote:What is thanksgiving about?

It's when the Pilgrims and the Indians ate together and the Indians got stuck with the check. But seriously here is a link that can explain it much more better than I can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgivi ... ted_States)
maverick88

Postby Huc » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:41 pm

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X3iXkPje6h8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X3iXkPje6h8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Huc

Postby quick_wit » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:16 pm

Asus or Aspire?
quick_wit

Postby JenR » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:03 am

what if someone vision was upside down? how would that be diagnosed??
JenR

Postby Carlotto » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:43 am

It depends if it is innate or acquired. If they’re born this way, I guess they would be used to it and up and down would only be inverted in their mind. If it happened because of an accident or an illness their movement would be inverted as well (trying to reach a helium balloon that’s blown away by crouching for instance).
Carlotto

Postby buttsie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:47 am

I wouldnt imagine someone born or acquiring that would NOT know something wasnt right and need to be diagnosed as opposed to someone who born short sighted and didnt know any different

Does the condition even exist?

I was born severely short sighted but never got tested till i was 17
Still amazes me how all those regular yearly visit to the doctor over the years never involved reading off an eye chart because "i didnt bring it up"
buttsie

Re: The unofficial weird/great/stupid questions thread

Postby robot » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:32 am

I haven't heard of any specific issues, but you can go to the YouTube Video Speed History page and view the test video to see the actual speed you're getting, as well as if you're dropping frames or w/e.

Not that that's going to fix anything, but it might help show what's going on a bit.

Also, Youtube does have an option for viewing videos in HTML5. You could try switching to that and seeing if it helps at all - if it doesn't then you can eliminate Flash as the cause of the problem at least. http://www.youtube.com/html5
robot

Postby buttsie » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:42 am

I assume it was working with the exact same set-up?
Checked your tools/error console and see what messages your getting when on youtube?

Uninstalling firefox 6 is probably the smartest thing to do
trying a lesser version ie 3.6.19 or its latest secure update version 3.6.21 and compare performance
You can always reinstall 6

Seems your not alone with the issue.A few threads that might be useful to read

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/442-6 ... dows-64bit

When firefox 6 was painfully slow for me i used to run cc cleaner and for what ever reason it sped it for a time but there seems to be an issue with flash which isnt resolved..thats been around since 4...theres a browser game site I go to and firefox continually wont show screens fully unlike other browsers like chrome,opera even IE .

I've gone back to 3.6.21 as I'm sick of all these upgrades which seem to do 1 thing very well....
make working add-ons unusable
buttsie

Postby robot » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Worst case scenario is that your ISP is even crappier than you thought and is throttling Youtube traffic. :/
robot

Postby Carlotto » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:06 pm

You can use a proxy or a VPN if that’s the case; your ISP won’t know what you’re doing.
Carlotto

Postby robot » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:00 am

Did the problems start with Gmail's awful new look?

You can switch back by clicking that gear in the upper right corner and see if that helps. If you have adblock or something it could be interfering as well somehow, I guess. IDK.
robot

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic