Skins: A slightly NSFW tribute

Anything Goes

Skins: A slightly NSFW tribute

Postby Dazza » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:41 pm

Fuck. I just lost a HUGE post.

Okay, the abbreviated version.

- Skins is a Brit show about teens.

- Finally caught up with season 1.

- Could be the best show about teens that I've ever seen. Everwood season 3, Friday Night Lights, My So Called Life...they can all take a back seat. While shows like OC, One Tree Hill and Gossip Girls need to hang their heads in shame.

- Each episode focuses on one of the kids, sorta like Lost minus the flashbacks.

- The key is the balance. It strikes the perfect balance between character and plot, naughty and sweet, silly fun and painful realism.

- The only semi famous cast member is the little dorky boy from About A Boy. He got hot and he has one of the most interesting characters on TV. I don't want to give much away but lets just say, if Allah was a TV character...he wouldn't be far off this kid.

- There is some awesome eye candy as well. Michelle is the hot girl, so she loses points for that. But she's still yummy enough.

- In another universe I hate Cassie. In this one I am drawn to her fragile beauty. Her character is fucking nuts, she has huge teeth and a voice like a cartoon character. I love her!

- And then there is Effy. About a Boy's younger sister. She's mostly a peripheral character but just drop dead gorgeous. She also has one of the best scenes in the season. It seems season 3 is going to focus more on her and she's also starring opposite Sam Rockwell in that Moon movie, so she might be on the verge of becoming something of a name.

Sadly season 2 is thus far a big step down. It has become a Brit version of a typical teen show. It's still fun but the magic is gone.

Thank Jebus for season 1 though.

Dazza
Site Admin

Postby greash » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:02 pm

Nice abbreviated post, i could actually be bothered reading it.
Skins has been on tv here recently, just finished season 1 i think. I never saw an episode but i just might try to now. :D
Some people will offer you their hand and some won't
Last night I knew you, tonight I don't
I need somethin' strong to distract my mind
I'm gonna look at you 'til my eyes go blind
greash

Postby Extreme Allah » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:28 pm

Allah is sold. I haven't been so easily sold since someone described Califorication to me. I'm downloading both seasons at once; no trial, so start preying I'm as gay as you think I am. (Are there any women on that show who aren't redonkulous? )
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby Dazza » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:35 pm

The only other regular girls in season 1 are...

A pretty cute black girl called Jal, who is a part of the gang.

A young teacher who is okay.

And a preppy girl who I can't fucking stand.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Shantih » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:36 pm

I got the same tube train with half the cast once. I stood there looking pretty suave and local for the whole journey. Then it got to my stop so I took my suaveness to the door, tripped over a bag and dropped half my coffee on the guy who plays Sid.

I consider it inadvertent revenge for season 2.
Shantih

Postby Dazza » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:41 pm

Strangely, thats a totally Sid moment. Haha. Was Cassie and Effy there?

I haven't really done much poking around online to gauge opinions (since I haven't caught up yet) but is season 2 generally considered a big disappointment? Cos I could definitely see that being the case, although at the same time, season 2 feels more aimed at the mainstream so I could also see it being more of a hit now.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Shantih » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:46 pm

No, it was just some of the guys.

Out of my friends, I think about half were disappointed and half liked it. It wasn't a huge crash and burn, but there was a certain about of ".....eh." I found it really cheesy and didn't really learn anything new about the characters, which I think is part of the reason they've decided to cut them all out and start with a new cast for season 3.
Shantih

Postby Dazza » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:52 pm

Yeah, there's not a helluva lot more character depth happening so far. There are moments but they are very fleeting. Also, its just getting jam packed with plot. In the last episode I saw, I think there were more twists and big events in that one episode than in half of season 1.

I'm aware of the puppets strings in a way that I seldom was in season 1, cept for the field trip episode.

The reboot sounds like a good idea.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby kale » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:45 am

Now this you would be right to suspect I hate.
пошлость ː جاهلية
kale

Postby Extreme Allah » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:56 am

Also, D., you do realize that the girl who plays your beloved Effy had to've been like 14 when she shot season 1, right?
Extreme Allah

Re: Skins: A slightly NSFW tribute

Postby maverick88 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:22 am

Dazza wrote:And then there is Effy. About a Boy's younger sister. She's mostly a peripheral character but just drop dead gorgeous. She also has one of the best scenes in the season. It seems season 3 is going to focus more on her and she's also starring opposite Sam Rockwell in that Moon movie, so she might be on the verge of becoming something of a name.

To me Effy (Kaya Scodelario) kind of looks like Ally Sheedy when she was younger.
"If it's Sunday, it's Meet The Press" - Tim Russert
maverick88

Postby Dazza » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:27 am

14 is the new 18.

Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:40 am

I don't judge; I'd hit it, too. Just making sure that you're aware that you also are a complete animal.
Extreme Allah

Postby Dazza » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:19 am

In all seriousness, I hadn't checked her age. I would have guessed 15/16 for season 1. I've always said I think its stupid to see a beautiful girl and go "wow, she's gorgeous" and then when finding out she's underage, reversing the opinion.

Look but don't touch of course.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:48 am

Dazza wrote:In all seriousness, I hadn't checked her age. I would have guessed 15/16 for season 1. I've always said I think its stupid to see a beautiful girl and go "wow, she's gorgeous" and then when finding out she's underage, reversing the opinion.

Look but don't touch of course.

Why not touch? I've fuck girls stupider and less emotionally developed than a 14-year-old, and I've certainly fucked girls less attractive that that 14-year-old. The age is just a number. The odds of you going to jail or something over statutory are like a zillion to 1. You're simply caving in to illogical social dogma, no different than joining a church so you don't look like a heathen. D., your not fucking children is precisely what's wrong with this world.
Last edited by Extreme Allah on Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Extreme Allah

Next

Return to Off-Topic