"in the yeeear twooo-thooousaand....." Future Tech

Anything Goes

Postby Spoonbat » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:49 pm

Rachel is right, here in the States it's quite pricy. Also depending on where you live not all the fuel stations have diesel.
So if you find yourself out in the middle of nowhere....you may run out of fuel.
Spoonbat

Postby Rachel » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:39 pm

Yeah, it's even more expensive than ~premium~ gas here, so it's not really an option unless money is no object for you.
Rachel

Postby Herzwerk R.o.D » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:00 pm

Diesel is currently at 0.95€/litre here (1.26$), and gasoline around 1.15€/L. (1.53$); so it's cheaper to use diesel, but diesel cars are more expensive to begin with.
The geeks, Natalie Portman, Paris Hilton naked and Britney Spears's cunt shall inherit the Earth.
Herzwerk R.o.D

Postby PERFECTaNATomy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:22 pm

Rachel wrote:Yeah, it's even more expensive than ~premium~ gas here, so it's not really an option unless money is no object for you.

You get much higher mileage though.. this offsets the higher price.

And I have never run out of diesel ever.. truckers use diesel so you can find it all over. And because you get way more mileage out of a tank of diesel you need to refuel much less.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/auto/20030804a1.asp

One of the biggest advantages of choosing a diesel car or truck is fuel economy. A diesel's extra 20 to 30 percent of fuel efficiency makes a difference. You'll use less fuel as you drive and fill up your tank less often. Fewer trips to the pump means more money stays in your wallet. Just ask any diesel driver.

"People who own them love them and tend to spread the gospel about them," says Tony Fouladpour, a spokesman for Volkswagen of America.

"First and foremost, it's the fuel economy. On the New Beetle it's almost 50 miles per gallon. You can drive from Chicago to New York without stopping for fuel. They've got tremendous driving range."

The fuel savings on a diesel is so impressive that you'll make up the extra cost of the engine in just a few years.
PERFECTaNATomy

Postby PERFECTaNATomy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:49 am

Also, what I have found is that in certain areas people will try to gouge you for diesel(this is the price I think you are referring to Rachel). .. but if you buy it where the truckers get it it is way cheaper. And since you rarely need to refill your tank you just get it there once every few weeks and you are good to go.

I truly believe there is something fishy about the price of diesel. And it just hit me what it could be.. diesels last much longer than gas cars and need much less maintenance. Do you think the automakers want people buying cars.. keeping them twice as long and getting them repaired less? And getting far better mileage on top of it?

It's funny to me how people are so paranoid about the government but they ignore the diesel issue. I wonder if having people constantly waiting for the "utopia of electric cars" is part of the game?
PERFECTaNATomy

Postby PERFECTaNATomy » Thu May 07, 2009 7:16 am

PERFECTaNATomy

Previous

Return to Off-Topic