Jen's Lost Generation of Society Corner

Anything Goes

Postby Brian » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:13 am

I wasn't sure where to post thoughts of nostalgia, so this thread seems as good as any. I saw the article regarding Myspace about to be sold in the next couple days (for a pittance compared to what Newscorp had paid for it, heh), so I felt like logging into my profile. (yeah I never deleted it like many people did, cuz I tend to hang onto my past) It was just quite a trip to check it out and listen to the last songs I had picked etc. It was like uncovering a time capsule that was buried 2 years ago (when everything really died over there) so now I'm missing certain people. While 2+ years is not that long ago, things do change, and I can't help but get sentimental. It prob'ly also means I just have too much time on my hands at the moment.
Brian

Re: Jen's Lost Generation of Society Corner

Postby robot » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:21 am

I've outnerded myself by taking part in code golf.
robot

Postby JenR » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:12 am

my fiance went to school for cmputer tech. but you'd probably have to communicate with him on facebook most likely.
JenR

Postby robot » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:13 am

Rachel wrote:Outnerding myself by building my own computer, against my better judgement and finances and stuff. Anybody have any advice before I start?

The best advice I can give is to try and find stuff that's a good price for the performance you get out of it - a $3000 top-of-the-line machine today is going to be nearly as out of date as a $1000-or-less machine in a couple years anyway, right?

If you happen to have that SA link I may have shown you in the past bookmarked, that's still a fantastic resource. If it's not public or you want it again, just let me know and I'll send it to you. It's a HUGE help as it is kept pretty up to date and is all about price/performance instead of fancy glowing LEDs and fanboyism and all that crap that you'll find at many other places.

If you're looking at a good gaming videocard, I'd recommend keeping in mind things like energy consumption, heat and noise and all that so you don't wind up with what amounts to a space-heater that sounds like a jet engine.

I can't think of much else... if you're bothered by noise there are certain cases and options you can keep in mind so that your computer doesn't wind up being too insanely loud.

Anything else or more specific? IDK, I haven't built one in awhile and I'm so tempted but mine is still going pretty awesome.
robot

Postby robot » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:07 pm

I forget how much my monitor was, and the few additions I made after, but I think I spent about $1200 on it a few years ago. When yours is all together you're going to give me some serious computer envy, I bet. :P

What case did you settle for? It took me forever to pick out a case and I chose one that looks really really nice IMO, even if it looks a bit out of place compared to my other computer stuff.

For putting together? If you don't have a modular PSU, you might want to pick up some cable-ties or something to help with the cabling. It can become a rats' nest REAL quick.
robot

Postby robot » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:53 am

This is the case I have. I like the look of a lot of Antec's stuff.

What video card did you get? :D

Welcome to the SSD club~ Expensive but your computer will boot up SO FAST. It's great for programs you want to load quickly as well.
robot

Postby buttsie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:10 am

I'll take ugly over over heated PC resulting in melt down

Lets be honest only one company has a clue about design but you pay a pretty penny for it

Maybe you should swap that pony shirt for a zillion pony stickers
buttsie

Postby robot » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:34 am

Rachel wrote:I like the look of that case. I was trying to avoid getting one that was too closed up, but god most computer cases are so damn ugly (and I don't get the LED thing AT ALL). The few girly options Fry's had were just kind of insulting. I wish more of them were made with functionality AND aesthetics in mind.

Not my first choice, but I ended up getting this one.

Yeah, I got one to put my OS and programs on and a secondary SATA drive for everything else. I hope it works out.

Do I even want to know what a 'girly option' for a case is? All I can think of is like... Barbie's Dream Computer Case.

It's hard to find a good looking case that is also awesome. I had a tough time picking between the one I got, and Antec's P180 (I guess it's P280 or something now?) cases which were both awesome, but w/e. Way too many cases are gaudy LED-infested junk.

SSD for OS and best programs and a HDD for files is working out pretty well for me. I did run into some trouble where I had like, Vista on C: and Windows 7 on E: and a boot loader screen that bugged me a lot, so it took some shuffling about to get my SSD with Windows 7 recognized as C: and not have a boot loader making me pick between 7 and Vista (WHY? Shoo Vista!)

Enjoy playing the latest greatest games at high-resolution! How big is your monitor?
robot

Postby buttsie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:49 am

A manufacture thats still stuck in the 1950s mindset

Blue for boys and pink for girls...not sure what this is but blue/pink should cover it

I think the biggest problem is once you've owned something thats been designed well everything looks like 2nd hand junk thats been thrown together for next to nothing....probably not far from the truth

When you compare the price difference i'm not sure aesthetically pleasing
is the be all and end all though.

EDit if I read correctly just recently there were floods in Asia that destroyed a good portion of the HD stock(in thailand I think)driving their prices upwards for the first time in eons
Last edited by buttsie on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buttsie

Postby Dazza » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:50 am

I wanted the ati 6950 but just couldn't afford it when I got a new card a few months back. It's probably still the best bang for buck though so good choice.

What CPU did you get? That's probably the one thing that's starting to hamstring my few years old PC now. Would love a SSD but man they're still so expensive here, unless you're getting a tiny size. I wouldn't get less than 128gb and even that is a little slight. Hopefully I can get some more good paying jobs next year and get a new system.

I put together this PC on my own without seeing it even done before. I took it slow. Touched the metal case to discharge static a lot (not that we get too much of that here but I was nervous about it). Referred to the manual and google A LOT. I found installing the cooler on the CPU the most difficult. Hopefully you don't have one with those push pin things cos fuck they were annoying. I put the motherboard into the case first and in retrospect it might have been smarter/easier to do most things outside of the case and THEN put the board in.

Hope all goes well. Make sure you get latest graphics drivers and profiles from ATI as that will help newer games like Skyrim or whatever quite a lot.

And if you get Battlefield 3, although I doubt it's your kinda thing (but if you want to see a good looking game on your new system, this is one SERIOUSLY gorgeous looking game), add me dazzazzad on battlelog so we can get shot up together. This goes for anyone else playing it on the PC. I need some buddies and my online friends who play it all play on console.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby robot » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:57 am

Intel pushpins were (still are?) the WORST. Definitely the most unenjoyable part about building a system.
robot

Postby robot » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:30 am

Damn. My little sister's even a bigger gamer than that. :P
robot

Postby Dazza » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:35 am

Rachel wrote:I am the worst gamer ever. Since my console died a few years ago, I've only played like one or two games a year. Maybe that will change soon. :lol:

Christ, it better change soon. No point getting such a sweet system to load up word docs and watch your screensaver.

I assume Portal 2 will be high on your list of priorities.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Dazza » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:03 pm

I'm still waiting on patches and fixes before really getting into it.

Portal will be great although obviously there's a limited amount of time you can put into it. But the price has probably come down a lot, there are DLC's and I guess you can trade it in when done?

I'd recommend Witcher 2, which doesn't quite have that open world explore for days on end quality of Skyrim, but makes up for it with a really great story, graphics, combat, voice acting etc etc.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby nattiep » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:16 am

Dazza wrote:I'm still waiting on patches and fixes before really getting into it.

Yeah the new patch broke it. Resistances don't work. I list a fire atronach on fire and it died. That's retarded. And dragons fly backwards. I managed to find the pre patch stuff to get it back to working mostly right.
MENDOZAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!
nattiep

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic