Roman Polanski thread

Anything Goes

Postby buttsie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:39 pm

I'm sure she was well aware of the flak she was likely to cop from the public
by signing this petition.Give this another 6 months when the story has died people will forget as they typically do

Long live freedom of speech
buttsie

Postby Huc » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:44 pm

buttsie wrote:I'm sure she was well aware of the flak she was likely to cop from the public
by signing this petition.Give this another 6 months when the story has died people will forget as they typically do

Long live freedom of speech

If I were her I'd take this approach, but at the same time I'd have something to say in the future that rescinds the petition. Things like this could die down, but will not be completely eliminated. But she better have a very convincing reason why she changed her position. After all she even worked with him.
Huc

Postby Spoonbat » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:55 pm

Yeah, I could be wrong but I don't think Adrien Brody signed it and he won his Oscar in the movie. Jack Nicholson didn't sign it either and the alleged crime happened at his estate.

I know often actors/artists act like a union or a fraternity -- as in an attack on one is an attack on all.

But I disagree buttsie, I don't think this is a simple case of something that'll blow over in half a year or a year.

I think some people won't forget this because child rape is such a sensitive topic in America and other places.

Huckster and I don't agree on a lot of things but this is one. At least so far as we both strongly agree she needs to rescind her signature and then distance herself from him and this cause and give a damned good reason for signing it in the first place.

Of course, back in Sept. she called out many people for not 'reading carefully' that TIFF petition.

In theory she could be accused of the same here.

I hope she distances herself quickly from the fallout. The longer she waits, the more the fallout.

Go to google blog search and read some of the blogs. The fallout is pretty bad.

I have NEVER heard her called a 'nutjob' before. Even on that shit site imdb.com or whatever where all her haters go.

This is getting harsh. She has a reputation for supporting woman's rights and fighting poverty, etc.

If she supports Polanski not only does it simply look inconsistent, it makes her look like a hypocrite.

It's just me, but I say she has 2 weeks, max, to limit the fallout.

And even then her best bet to avoid fallout would be 'oh, I don't follow my online community' or 'I don't follow blogs too much.'

Ignorance can be forgiven in the long run, or lack of attention to detail. Intellectual inconsistency and assumed-hypocrisy from former fans will not.

If I was her agent/manager, I'd be on speeddial trying to contain this shit. But hey, it's her career, not mine.

While her core fanbase(us) will overlook this and attempt to dismiss it, other 'casual' fans will not.
Spoonbat

Postby Spoonbat » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:02 am

I know she doesn't exactly hold us in high esteem but still.....most of these people doing comments are what I call 'casual fans.'

Like how I am with say Angelina Jolie. I do like some of her movies and usually I will give her kudos on other sites but I don't go on her fan forums or anything like that.

It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that this petition is affecting those people more than it is us. And that's where the danger lies. If they tell their friends and family "she supports pedophiles..." while obviously a stupid statement, the stigma sticks, and then they tell their social network and then they tell their friends etc.

She did say at TIFF that in 10 years she would probably retire so maybe she doesn't give a fuck any more? :lol:

Maybe that's why she's doing the lesbian scene. Usually hardcore sex scenes are death knells for young actresses. Look what happened to Halle Berry after Swordfish. She had like 1 year left of big fame and then now she's still big, but not that big.

IDK, whatever. It's her fanbase and career, not mine. If she doesn't care there really isn't much pt. to this thread or discussion.

Maybe this, Thor, etc. is her last big bang. Maybe she wants to go out with a big blast. Look at Gwyneth Paltrow, she pretty much retired.

Maybe she wants one last big run before the 30s drought sets in....??
Spoonbat

Postby Spoonbat » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:05 am

Ok. I was just extrapolating shit from thing air.
Spoonbat

Postby awise1 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:09 pm

Out of curiosity I wanted to see the names on the "Free Roman Polanski"
petition and was more surprised by the one name that was not on it.

Natalie Portman.

http://www.sacd.fr/Tous-les-signataires ... 341.0.html

I read through the posts and thought this would be an appropriate link to complete the discussion.
awise1

Postby maverick88 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:57 pm

awise1 wrote:Out of curiosity I wanted to see the names on the "Free Roman Polanski"
petition and was more surprised by the one name that was not on it.

Natalie Portman.

http://www.sacd.fr/Tous-les-signataires ... 341.0.html

I read through the posts and thought this would be an appropriate link to complete the discussion.

Maybe she decided to remove her name off the list because she did sign it.
"If it's Sunday, it's Meet The Press" - Tim Russert
maverick88

Postby Dazza » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:47 pm

Her name was definitely on at one point. But there were a couple lists. One was from the US and the other Europe and I think Nat was on the latter.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby buttsie » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:11 am

I'd expect if she had backflipped someone in the media would have reported it
buttsie

Postby awise1 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:49 am

buttsie wrote:I'd expect if she had backflipped someone in the media would have reported it

That link is from the official petition web site updated 11/09 and her name as well as many others is not there.

Who knows what happened but the list speaks for itself.
awise1

Postby Dazza » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:31 am

Yeah, that does look like the list she was on. I guess she did have it removed. I'll try and confirm.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby buttsie » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:45 am

Might have something to do with the news from a fortnight ago that he might no be required to return to face the music

so the swiss arent going to extradite him until the LA courts decide
if they require him in person

Either way her name missing is very peculiar
buttsie

Postby awise1 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:26 pm

Perhaps she had a change of heart after being more informed of the facts surrounding the entire case.

These events occurred approximately 4 years before she was born. Emma Thompson for one had her name removed.

As for Natalie perhaps her handlers felt it was best to quietly remove it and move on.

The French and Polish governments no longer support his release etc...
awise1

Postby natnat » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:20 am

sorry guys her name is still on the petition :( Emma Thompson is off the list.

http://laregledujeu.org/2009/11/10/479/signez-la-petition-pour-roman-polanski/

http://tinyurl.com/ydudxso

don't know why they've made polanski's problems their own
natnat

Postby buttsie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:13 am

Rachel wrote:Didn't Penelope Cruz say that she never signed the petition, yet her name was on there anyway? Or was she just backpeddling due to the public backlash?

so it would seem

Penelope Cruz did not sign the petition to free Roman Polanski + USA Weekend Interview
http://community.livejournal.com/ohnoth ... 38814.html
buttsie

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic