How Influenced by Celebrities are you?

Anything Goes

How Influenced by Celebrities are you?

Postby buttsie » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:25 am

Was just reading this article about stephen fry and a letter he wrote back to a fellow depression sufferer/fan and started thinking we really are influenced by them but the question is to what degree?

Stephen Fry saved my life: The touching letter comedian wrote to fellow depression sufferer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... ferer.html

STEPHEN FRY'S LETTER TO CRYSTAL NUNN

Dear Crystal,

I’m so sorry to hear that life is getting you down at the moment. Goodness knows, it can be so tough when nothing seems to fit and little seems to be fulfilling. I’m not sure there’s any specific advice I can give that will help bring life back its savour. Although they mean well, it’s sometimes quite galling to be reminded how much people love you when you don’t love yourself that much.

I’ve found that it’s of some help to think of one’s moods and feelings about the world as being similar to weather:

Here are some obvious things about the weather:

It’s real.

You can’t change it by wishing it away.

If it’s dark and rainy it really is dark and rainy and you can’t alter it.

It might be dark and rainy for two weeks in a row.

BUT

It will be sunny one day.

It isn’t under one’s control as to when the sun comes out, but come out it will.

One day.

It really is the same with one’s moods, I think. The wrong approach is to believe that they are illusions. They are real. Depression, anxiety, listlessness - these are as real as the weather - AND EQUALLY NOT UNDER ONE’s CONTROL. Not one’s fault.

BUT

They will pass: they really will.

In the same way that one has to accept the weather, so one has to accept how one feels about life sometimes.

‘Today’s a crap day,’ is a perfectly realistic approach. It’s all about finding a kind of mental umbrella.

‘Hey-ho, it’s raining inside: it isn’t my fault and there’s nothing I can do about it, but sit it out. But the sun may well come out tomorrow and when it does, I shall take full advantage.’

I don’t know if any of that is of any use: it may not seem it, and if so, I’m sorry. I just thought I’d drop you a line to wish you well in your search to find a little more pleasure and purpose in life.

Very best wishes

(Signed)

Stephen Fry
buttsie

Postby maverick88 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:25 am

I guess for me it depends on what the issue is. I would say little to none but if a celebrity was suffering from the same ailment as me I would probably feel more of a connection.
"If it's Sunday, it's Meet The Press" - Tim Russert
maverick88

Postby buttsie » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:01 pm

Maybe in the next life you'll get the urge to become a caffe latte fencing champion with luscious long flowing locks

I'd expect some Japanese probably are

Image Image
buttsie

Postby Spoonbat » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:00 am

I suppose I'm influenced more by movies, books, and tv programs that appeal to me than by celebrities in general.

9/10 I don't get suckered into buying something just because Brad Pitt or Nic Cage says it's cool to do so but sometime I do.

I know some people thinks it's almost Satanic for celebrities to endorse things but I'm not anti-corporate in that way. I say if a celeb wants to advertise something, fine.
Spoonbat

Postby buttsie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:21 am

I dont think theres anything wrong with Celebs pushing products either

Example 1...thanks to Tom I now know Scientology is not for me...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMvAXpq7 ... r_embedded
buttsie

Re: .

Postby maverick88 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:07 am

Spoonbat wrote:I know some people thinks it's almost Satanic for celebrities to endorse things but I'm not anti-corporate in that way. I say if a celeb wants to advertise something, fine.

Me neither but just as long as the celebrity uses the product they are endorsing, so Nat had better be going to Starbucks to get her latte and not McDonalds or Burger King. (joking)
"If it's Sunday, it's Meet The Press" - Tim Russert
maverick88

Postby buttsie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:04 am

Count on it...theres only honesty in advertising :roll:

I like this one...steven seagall...lightning-bolt herbal drink
The spin is beyond belief

http://lightningdrink.com/chi-energy.html

CHI - TRUE ENERGY
Natural, Healthy, Long Lasting

Everyone could use a bit of extra energy now and again- Perhaps you want to work faster, play harder, or even think quicker. There are many reasons for wanting more energy, but did you ever stop to wonder why you lack that energy to begin with?

Fatigue can be a result of many things, not just insufficient sleep. While other energy drinks try to just throw a bunch of cheap caffeine and other drugs into your system, Steven Seagal's Lightning Bolt provides you with the TRUE ENERGY you need. Seagal spent many years researching this, and found that there are specific remedies for each reason for fatigue:

* PROBLEM: Lack of B-Vitamins can make your body too tired to metabolize food properly
* SOLUTION: Provide 100% of the body's daily vitamin need to aid in quick and efficient metabolic function.

* PROBLEM: A drain on mental energy can lead your body to believe it is physically drained as well
* SOLUTION: Provide exotic botanicals and herbs such as Ginkgo Biloba, proven to specifically aid in memory function and mental alertness

These are just two of the countless secrets of TRUE ENERGY that Steven Seagal has discovered in his travels all over the globe. Steven Seagal's Lightning Bolt combines years of experience with remarkable ingredients to provide the energy your body, mind and spirit have been craving.
buttsie

Postby Extreme Allah » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:54 am

That Seagall drink is terrible. I don't really like those things in general, and they are terrible for you, but his in particular tastes like a bad, carbonated apple juice or something.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby buttsie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:24 am

I wouldnt doubt that for a second

Theres enough evidence around that you can make your own sports drinks at a fraction of the cost
buttsie

Postby Spoonbat » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:06 pm

Wow. Steven Seagal had time to make energy drinks in between filming straight-to-video shitfests?
Spoonbat

Postby buttsie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:13 pm

never under estimate the power of chi especially when consumed as a liquid :P
buttsie

Postby awise1 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:30 am

They don't influence me at all in terms of decisions in my life.
awise1

Postby JenR » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:28 am

i would say it was Natalie but when i was getting interested in her movies (well movies in general) i started to write.. lol
JenR

Return to Off-Topic