What are you cooking???

Anything Goes

Postby Carlotto » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:50 pm

Well, bred, tomatoes and olive oil are pretty cheap food...
At least in France it is common, I buy one pain de campagne (or one baguette) a day; maybe in the U.S. it is more expensive I don't know...
Carlotto

Postby Spoonbat » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:01 pm

Yeah - obscenely expensive. 5 bucks a loaf where I shop.

Olive oil is even worse. 12 dollars for a good-sized bottle. Mind you don't use the whole thing in a single day but you do use a lot.
Spoonbat

Postby Spoonbat » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:14 pm

Well I usually just buy a cheap wheat loaf for 3 dollars or whatever. I'm usually on the move so I don't have time to sit down and make shit. I have to get stuff and get on with my day.

I think that's ultimately why veganism isn't viable in America at least. The culture is too mobile. People run around all day and all night.

You can't sit down and spend an hour making food if you have an appt. every other fucking hour. :lol:
Spoonbat

Postby buttsie » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:17 pm

Real Olive oil-first pressing extra virgin is expensive unless your buying in bulk...i actually buy the 3rd level of olive oil AUS7-00 a litre...but then I'm not a fussy eater

I can only speak for my local area but once you know

What fruit and veg is in season
What your local supermarkets cycle of discounting is

The sky is the limit as to how much you can save
Bought 3 loaves of wholemeal bread yesterday at 8.45pm for AUS5-00

I found this page on vegetarian staple foods quite illuminating
Explains all the different grains and what their uses are with a recipe for each to try

http://www.vegetarianaction.org.au/Livi ... pboard.htm

Personally i dont think theres anything wrong with including a little bit of dairy in your diet to fill in the b12 gap in the diet......a dozen free range eggs which lasts me 2 weeks sets me back AUS2-50 a week....1kg of kangaroo mince...AUS3-50 a week

While the animal rights people are up in arms over the culling of a national icon maybe they should remember kangaroos were and still are starving to death because of the drought....
buttsie

Postby Extreme Allah » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:40 am

Anyone doing anything exciting, cooking-wise, for Thanksgiving? First Thanksgiving with the future in-laws, trying to pick something to make, given my low skill level. Megan is making two cakes, and I'm thinking some kind of side.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby maverick88 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:51 am

Extreme Allah wrote:Anyone doing anything exciting, cooking-wise, for Thanksgiving? First Thanksgiving with the future in-laws, trying to pick something to make, given my low skill level. Megan is making two cakes, and I'm thinking some kind of side.

Not really, you wouldn't want me to cook a Thanksgiving dinner unless you want a Charlie Brown Thanksgiving dinner. (toast, popcorn, jelly beans, and pretzels) :lol: The most I could probably cook is a frozen pie, vegetables, and a turkey loaf.
"If it's Sunday, it's Meet The Press" - Tim Russert
maverick88

Postby Extreme Allah » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:55 am

I think I'll be making milk steaks, boiled over hard, and a side of fine jelly beans, raw, actually.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby JenR » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:47 pm

ehh, i made soup/stew (w/e)... it needed beef broth instead of 12 cups of water...

i was so proud of myself that i ate cooked veggies.cooked veggies are nasty, but i did it!
JenR

Previous

Return to Off-Topic