The Beginner's Guide to Terrence Malick

Anything Goes

Postby thevoid99 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:29 pm

For those who have never seen a Malick film nor are familiar with his work should read this. This will prepare you once The Tree of Life appears in the big screen.
"I wanna be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal from "Secretary"
thevoid99

Postby nattiep » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:13 pm

Only one I've seen of his was The Thin Red line and I didn't like it one bit.
MENDOZAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!
nattiep

Postby thevoid99 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:06 pm

nattiep wrote:Only one I've seen of his was The Thin Red line and I didn't like it one bit.

Well, it's his most complicated film and his only adaptation so far.

It's not the conventional war film that audiences have seen so many times. That's why it stands out. There's 3 other movies to check out and if you can't get into them. That's OK. You don't have to see The Tree of Life.
thevoid99

Postby nattiep » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:23 am

They paying you to promote that movie or what? :P
MENDOZAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!
nattiep

Postby thevoid99 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:58 am

If I was being paid. I'd actually have a much fancier blog and better photos. Plus, I'd be going to Cannes.
thevoid99

Postby Carlito Brigante » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:38 am

Badlands is one of my favorite movies. Still Days of Heaven was not really my kind of movie, and not attacking its artistic merits, but I HATE Richard Gere. I also liked The Thin Red Line. Probably seen it over a dozen times. But I understand why anyone would hate it. It's not for everybody. Been years since I last saw it. I haven't seen the Pocahontas movie. It doesn't looks bad so maybe I'll watch sometime during the next decade if I catch it on cable. I haven't read anything about the new one, but if it looks interesting, I'll probably watch it.
Carlito Brigante

Postby thevoid99 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:42 pm

At least you liked Badlands and The Thin Red Line.

I'd recommend watching the 135-minute cut of The New World and if you like that one. Go for the other cuts.

Richard Gere, I admit, is a hit-miss for me. When he is given a great role, he can be really good. When he's bad, he's awful.

I should note that Days of Heaven was the first movie Gere made back in 1976 but it took 2 years to edit because Malick was trying to find the story in the editing room. I prefer Gere in that film along with I'm Not There and American Gigolo.
thevoid99

Postby Dazza » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:47 pm

I remember seeing The Thin Red Line when it came out and I was...shit I dunno...16 or so I guess. I kinda hated it. But loved Saving Private Ryan. Saw TRL many years later on TV, with somewhat different tastes in film, and found it beautiful and hypnotic. Now I probably slightly prefer it to Ryan.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby thevoid99 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:18 pm

I first saw The Thin Red Line when it first came on TV and was like... "what is this?".

It's one of those films where at first viewing, you don't get it because it's so different from what is expected with war films. It's one of those movies that, unless you're a Malick fan, would not get immediately but repeated viewings end up making it more worthwhile.
thevoid99

Postby Carlito Brigante » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:56 am

thevoid99 wrote:At least you liked Badlands and The Thin Red Line.

I'd recommend watching the 135-minute cut of The New World and if you like that one. Go for the other cuts.

Richard Gere, I admit, is a hit-miss for me. When he is given a great role, he can be really good. When he's bad, he's awful.

I should note that Days of Heaven was the first movie Gere made back in 1976 but it took 2 years to edit because Malick was trying to find the story in the editing room. I prefer Gere in that film along with I'm Not There and American Gigolo.

Actually, I did liked Days of Heaven too. And I also agree about Richard Gere in this case. The movie was just too good for him to fuck it up. It's been years since I saw it, so I really don't remember anything about the story. I remember that some shit goes down and the guy has to leave, but that's about it. I watched it on one sit down, which is a good sign for me. I remember that it was just a damn well made movie. And the visuals, just too damn good. I'd watch it again if I get the chance.
Carlito Brigante

Postby Carlito Brigante » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:03 am

Dazza wrote:I remember seeing The Thin Red Line when it came out and I was...shit I dunno...16 or so I guess. I kinda hated it. But loved Saving Private Ryan. Saw TRL many years later on TV, with somewhat different tastes in film, and found it beautiful and hypnotic. Now I probably slightly prefer it to Ryan.

My experience was opposite to yours. I loved the movie the first time I saw it, and as I kept watching it, it started to become sort of a drag for me. The dying bird shots and all that stuff. I still love it, but I gradually started to prefer Private Ryan. Again, the visuals on Saving Private Ryan are just too perfect for me to ignore.
Carlito Brigante

Return to Off-Topic