Your religious/spiritual views?

Anything Goes

Your religious/spiritual views?

Postby grassroots » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:56 am

Just out of curiosity, of course.

I was born in a hardcore Catholic family, but I wasn't really well-versed in my own religion until when I became 13. Well, then I became a protestant (fundie kind). I believed in Jesus like my life depended on it. And...well, my religious brainwashing really fried my brain functions. But in 2005, a horrible and excruciating psychological trauma made me abandon my Christian faith. I dabbled with atheism but it didn't work for me. And maltheism was very counter-productive. Now I am an agnostic/deist who's interested in Unitarian Universalim, which is very rare for a Korean guy like me.
grassroots

Re: Your religious/spiritual views?

Postby Carlotto » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:13 am

I used to be an agnostic atheist; now I am an atheist.

*unpleasant comment incoming*
I’m tired of people believing in an imaginary friend.
Carlotto

Postby Dazza » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Carlotto wrote:I used to be an agnostic atheist; now I am an atheist.

Same. On the Dawkins 1-7 scale I'm a 6.

De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby awiseone » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:31 pm

I was so religious as a child and through my teen years...Then somewhere around 18 years I began to shed that and by the time I reached my thirties it was over ...I had evolved into a full blown atheist. :D
awiseone

Postby buttsie » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:10 am

I'm of the view you keep them to yourself

To be religious you dont need to be a member of an ORGANISED religion,sect or group.

Far too many self righteous fools about that will try and talk you into joining some religion once they know where you stand

John Safrans look at religion always amuses me...the door knocking atheists parodying religious door knockers was hilarious but rather lost on those visited

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58wgn-9 ... re=related
buttsie

Postby Carlito Brigante » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:51 pm

I believe that the Bible describes the evolution of knowledge. Adam and Eve were not the first human beings on Earth. They were the first human beings to develop the capacity for knowledge, and hence the understanding of right and wrong. The tree of knowledge, the temptaions of Eve, ect. Think about it. For three millions years homo sapiens were essentially mumbling idiots. The evolution of knowledge in human beings is recorded to have started about ten to twenty years ago, which is exactly the same amount of time the creationist loonies believe the world started. Human KNOWLEDGE as we know it is around twenty thousand years old. It's a scientific fact. Plus the historical documents we have now are the pure assessment of that. Adam and Eve depicts the genesis of knowledge.

So I believe in God because I believe there's good in this world, and I believe there's a devil because I know evil exists. I don't believe in them as living entities, but as part of human nature. Yet they do feel like they almost have a life on their own. I think being a good person is better, and once in while miracles do happen. I don't just believe in that. I've essentially lived it. So it doesn't really matters to me if God is alive or dead. I'm still essentially a believer.

And Jesus stopped a Roman invasion. That's a historical fact. Yeah, anybody can argue that he was the very same reason Jerusalem was going to get canned in the first place, but it doesn't matters. In my book he's still one kick ass motherfucker.
Carlito Brigante

Postby Extreme Allah » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:17 pm

Dazza wrote:
Carlotto wrote:I used to be an agnostic atheist; now I am an atheist.

Same. On the Dawkins 1-7 scale I'm a 6.

De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.

Same. (edit:) I used to call myself an agnostic, and my beliefs haven't changed at all. I think different people have different ideas of what the words mean.

(I have learned that I don't particularly like Dawkins. I feel like he argues poorly, makes inexplicable points often, and pretends not to understand things that would naturally soften blows and make him look like less of a troll. This is in his capacity as talk show pundit, not as a writer.)
Last edited by Extreme Allah on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby Extreme Allah » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:19 pm

buttsie wrote:John Safrans look at religion always amuses me...the door knocking atheists parodying religious door knockers was hilarious but rather lost on those visited

Safran is God. The finale of that series just blows my mind how good he is. The rest of the show is like a cute little setup for the last episode, which has to be in the top 5 TV moments ever.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby quick_wit » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:00 pm

Agnostic but I am 6 on the Darwin's Scale now that I think about it. I have hard core catholic parents, they'd hate me if they knew, I annoy them enough already
quick_wit

Postby Carlito Brigante » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:35 pm

I usually tell my ultra religious Catholic parents that I'm Jewish. To this day they think I'm joking. I'm really not. I do think I'm Jewish. I'm very inclined to the idea of a messiah, but not in the purely religious aspect of it. Just like it could be said that someone like Adolf Hitler was an anti-Christ, in terms of the world's perception towards him. I do think that figures like Jesus and Mohammed were messianic figures in terms of the perception towards them, and again, not necessary from a strickly religious point of view, but in terms of their accomplishments. I think that wether or not Judaism percieves Jesus as a messiah is irrelevant to the fact that the identification of a messianic figure is in essence a cyclical process. There's not really one single messiah. Thus it's not really the role of the Judaism to identify them, but merely to prolonge that notion from a theological point of view. I'm incredibly intrigued by the whole thing. Enough to study it if only for the whole interesting aspects of it. I even corresponded with a rabbi once.
Carlito Brigante

Postby buttsie » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:11 pm

Extreme Allah wrote:
buttsie wrote:John Safrans look at religion always amuses me...the door knocking atheists parodying religious door knockers was hilarious but rather lost on those visited

Safran is God. The finale of that series just blows my mind how good he is. The rest of the show is like a cute little setup for the last episode, which has to be in the top 5 TV moments ever.

Been awhile since I actually watched that episode but i do recall the exorcism being pretty REAL

Hard to believe someone with possibly the most annoying voice on TV is well on his way to being
a Cult icon.

He did another show about religion Speaking in tongues after that with hard nosed Catholic Father Bob Maguire which was interesting but was never going to match JS v God
buttsie

Postby plop » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:43 am

I am a believer. I think this thread needed one already :wink: It was time.

Unitarism and universalism, if I have understood them well, I have some degree of afinity to them. I do believe in an universal union, but one respecting the counsciesness of each one, aswell as temperament and personality.

My turning point was when I was nineteen. I was caught, by a simple expression from another person, by the problem of "sense". I got to a solution -pointless to comment it here- which conclusion was the inexistence of absurd (or is it "absurdity" in english?). But, since logic doesn´t necessarily reflects reality -I mean, some logic formulations are wrong, and some aspects of reality stand against logic- it wasn´t strong enough, so there was no other choice but to believe. Later on, things changed, but only to support belief. And, usually, just when I wasn´t with the problem in my head.

Most of the objections to god or spiritual realm existence that I have heard or read, in my opinon, don´t fully go to the point, but that depends largely, or mostly, on how do you structure your intelectual processes. My first disapointment was with "History of Time". Pointless to argue here on that, since, again, it would depend on how does each one consider intelectual matters must be handled. I was sixteen then; I was still in the doubt. It left me in the doubt.
"The heart has reasons that reason can not understand" Blaise Pascal :D
plop

Return to Off-Topic