TV Shows/Series

Anything Goes

Re: TV Shows/Series

Postby Dazza » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:40 pm

Would certainly not argue that it's high brow but wouldn't qualify as a guilty pleasure either. Well...there are scenes, characters and aspects that fall into that, such as the sheer evil relish of Joffrey. I would just grin from ear to ear every time he'd come on screen. The Hound is doing that this season. etc.

But, for instance, when Tywin is on screen I'm not laughing. I'm normally riveted and absorbed by every word. Not once did I ever experience that in TWD.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Dazza » Mon May 05, 2014 9:10 pm

Is it just me or is GoT remaking Leon?
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Tue May 06, 2014 5:03 pm

Dazza wrote:Is it just me or is GoT remaking Leon?

I was expecting Aria(sp?) to go join up with that assassin cult, but now it's starting to look like they are going to try to stretch a little more out of this Hound relationship. Not a ton happened in that episode, but I can see this being interesting.

How big of a stud is Littlefinger? I thought just straight up kidnapping the queen of the north and marrying her seemed a bit outside his wheelhouse, so it's nice to see that he is still working moves on top of moves.

So basically, if he is responsible for that poisoning, he is more or less responsible for starting that whole war? He is the Alcebiades of the Seven Kingdoms. In fact, I have to imagine he was at least partially the inspiration.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby quick_wit » Sun May 11, 2014 5:15 pm

I love it that Helena has her own track music, so that when you hear it, OH SHIT here she comes. The new episode is a bit contrived, but still keeps the momentum going. The technical wizardry looks believable.
quick_wit

Postby Dazza » Mon May 12, 2014 8:14 pm

Gooood episode. The court room stuff was a bit meh at first but Tywin's rapid fire agreement was great and then the little man carried it home. Wish the show was 2 hours long :(
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Mon May 12, 2014 9:39 pm

It must be really frustrating to be little person actor who happens to be amazing. It would probably be frustrating either way, but knowing that I am barely talented enough to be the wisecracking elf in a late-November Lexus commercial would somehow make it more palatable to me that I wasn't seeing any better roles. I remember liking Station Agent and thinking, "this guy is good, but this is the most mainstream thing he is ever going to be allowed to act like a person in."

I'd like to stick with hour long episodes, but I'd be all for 15 or so of them per week. There is no limit to how much GoT I would be willing to watch, which is weird because I'm not even remotely willing to put in the time to read the books.

But, I think GoT costs something like 6-10 million $US per hour, and the cast has to sleep and eat, so I'm not holding out hope of that happening.
Extreme Allah

Postby quick_wit » Thu May 15, 2014 6:43 pm

Rachel wrote:Speaking of contrived, I can't tell if Sarah's stupidity regarding certain things (esp. her daughter) is just lazy writing or a testament to street smarts not equaling common sense. It was really hard for me to believe that she would let Kira run off unsupervised to feed chickens while Rachel's cylon terminator goon was after them. And then leaving her alone with Daario Naharis, despite him looking all shifty when she told him about Dyad. And several other previous forehead-smacking moments from the past season. At least she's consistent? :P

Yeah I noticed that too, but I dunno she wasn't really an attentive mom to begin with and was mostly out of the picture before shit went down. Has Kira met Cosima? not really sold on the psychic thing.

The clone ships are funny/weird/ridiculous. I've been lurking around Tumblr and there's this fan whose a wizard at gif edits.
quick_wit

Postby Extreme Allah » Tue May 20, 2014 1:17 am

I'm thinking of adding a moon door to my apartment this week. No one would die, they'd probably just get hurt falling into my downstairs neighbor's place. And if it's the people I'm thinking of, they are actually both nurses, so it's kind of a good place to fall 12 feet. But if you go over to someone's place, and they eject you through a moon door, you probably get the message.
Extreme Allah

Postby Dazza » Tue May 20, 2014 4:39 pm

Was kinda bummed they didn't have the duel this week. For all the fun stuff, what takes Thrones a big step up from anything near guilty pleasure, are scenes like the one between Tyrion and Oberyn. How fucking amazing was that?
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Tue May 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Yeah, it was great. I was watching the scrub bar the whole time after that scene, trying to figure out what we had time for.

**Spoilers** **Run-on Sentences**

That whole sequence that started with Sansa experiencing snow again, and ended at the moon door, was a particularly amazing treat, because I was kind of just hoping for that sword fight, but I'm glad it's getting more than 8 minutes or whatever it would have had to've been, and that was a great episode without it.

Also, I found Sansa almost entirely worthless as anything but a McGuffin for most of the series, and her helplessness seems to drive a lot of feminist fans bonkers, but her value is starting to become apparent, just in terms of the comedy of the series of shitty things that have happened to her.

Her sister was always awesome, and is getting marginally less annoying and considerably more badass.

I've been souring on Danny's White Savior routine for a while now, and find it largely boring despite its early promise, but to me, her decision to bang that dude is the most important character development for her since the first season finale.

Also, low wall content makes for a good episode.

Oh, and, that androgynous knight...I was expecting her to suck and didn't like her out of the gate, but even without the Jamie dynamic, her chartoonish chivalry provides a perfect change up for a subplot.

Mostly, though, I'm excited about the Mountain and my beloved bisexual prince.
Extreme Allah

Postby Extreme Allah » Fri May 23, 2014 10:27 pm

Rachel wrote:Oberyn and Tyrion's exchange was definitely worth sticking around for, but I'm also really enjoying the fleshed out Arya/Sandor and Brienne/Pod dynamics.

Sansa has been one of the most frustrating book-to-screen transitions for me. A huge part of her narrative is driven by her inner monologue, which is completely absent from the show. There have only been a couple of blink-and-you-miss-it scenes that showcase her quiet strength and intelligence, but she largely comes off as a useless victim. You'd never know she spent her captivity plotting her escape (later rescue) from King's Landing. She's just as ~strong~ as Dany, Arya, Brienne, Asha/Yara, etc., her strength just lies in her cunning and survival skills. Her arc at the Vale is one of my favorites, but if the past couple of seasons of the show are any indication, it's doomed to be glossed over.

Yeah, a bit of that came through, and she certainly never behaved in a pathetic way. But I think they've shown us essentially zero cunning or survival skills. She seemed perceptive, anyway. Hopefully this new situation is a better platform for her as a tv character.
Extreme Allah

Postby Extreme Allah » Fri May 23, 2014 10:41 pm

http://www.nba.com/thunder/news/release_ibaka_140523

Too late, but might make for a better series. Sort of like how Baby Dragon pretending not to have concussion symptoms and giving himself permanent brain damage will make for a more interesting series.
Extreme Allah

Postby Dazza » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:07 pm

So goooood. Not a single scene I didn't like. I had a feeling what would happen but still, wowza.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:28 pm

Sansa coming with the heat. What a power couple we have budding here.
Extreme Allah

Postby Dazza » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:50 pm

Yeah, happy for her. Character and actress has received way too much stick...errr, not that kind of stick.
Dazza
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic