Spiritual/Esoteric/Philosophical Film and Arts Discussion

Anything Goes

Re: Spiritual/Esoteric/Philosophical Film and Arts Discussio

Postby Tourist » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:58 pm

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this one - Stalker

The stalker is a guide who leads these men into the quarantined area called The Zone

Some mysterious force from outer space inhabits The Zone. It has been cleared of human residents and left in decay

Their goal is to reach a room where anyone who enters true desires become reality.

A cerebral science fiction film with no special effects, just a journey through a decaying industrial landscape with three men struggling with their own purpose.
Tourist

Postby thevoid99 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:26 pm

I have that film on DVD. That is definitely a must-see and certainly unlike anything out there. Tarkovsky was a genius.
"I wanna be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal from "Secretary"
thevoid99

Postby Tourist » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:21 pm

thevoid99 wrote:I have that film on DVD. That is definitely a must-see and certainly unlike anything out there. Tarkovsky was a genius.

Hey Void, I just checked out your blog. You've seen a lot of films. What do you recommend for spiritual and philosophical films? Share with the group.
Tourist

Postby Carlito Brigante » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:59 pm

That looks good. I'm not that into foreign films as much as I would like to, mostly because the movies are usually harder to find. They were easier to find on VHS, but some would take years to transfer to dvd, so I just lost track all together. Now they're being placed on youtube, so that's good.

I like to watch very obscure movies generally from well known filmmakers, like this one.

This I also watched a bunch of times as a kid. They had constant repeats on HBO.

The movie's MacGuffin is a small Statue of Liberty souvenir. They were all killing each other over a toy. :shock:

I didn't think much of the movie at the time. Honestly, I freaking hated it. But the girl was super hot, so I didn't mind. And I still always enjoyed the ending. It was really good. Looking at it now it's a very entertaining obscure cat and mouse thriller.
Carlito Brigante

Postby Tourist » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:37 pm

Since you mentioned a Polanski film, here is another one with some esoteric subtext - Rosemary's Baby

Last edited by Tourist on Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tourist

Postby thevoid99 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:34 pm

Tourist wrote:
thevoid99 wrote:I have that film on DVD. That is definitely a must-see and certainly unlike anything out there. Tarkovsky was a genius.

Hey Void, I just checked out your blog. You've seen a lot of films. What do you recommend for spiritual and philosophical films? Share with the group.

I really don't know. There's too many to tell. I would say Bergman's faith trilogy of Through a Glass Darkly/Winter Light/The Silence, Tarkovsky's The Mirror, and Terrence Malick's The Tree of LIfe. That's all I can think of for now.

I'm currently doing another thing that isn't related to film but rather to the music of David Bowie.
"I wanna be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal from "Secretary"
thevoid99

Postby Carlito Brigante » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:52 pm

Tourist wrote:Since you mentioned a Polanski film, here is another one with some esoteric subtext - Rosemary's Baby

Rosemary's Baby to me is pretty much the same as Rear Window. I think it's just harder to appreciate it the way it was meant to when you already know all the spoilers. It's easy to forget that it's supposed to have a twist ending. I still like the way it turns Mia Farrow into a completely senile housewife. I had a hard time believing her myself, and that to me is the real magic of the movie.

If you like Rosemary's Baby a horror movie that you'd definitely love is Angel Heart.

Mickey Rourke before his metamorphosis.

The movie builds itself up as a noir film with some truly amazing visuals, but it's a lot more than that.
Carlito Brigante

Postby Tourist » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:40 pm

I need to watch Angel Heart again. I saw it a long time ago and forgot everything. Sometimes a second look at a movie reveals things I didn't notice the first time. Usually the first time I see a movie I just experience it, then further viewings I can look more closely at the thematic content of the story. Angel Heart seems like one of those type of films with a deeper meaning.

As an aside, I saw Goya's Ghosts yesterday. Much better film than the reviews would suggest. I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. Natalie was fantastic. Maybe one her best performances even if her characters were a little wacky.

Tourist

Postby Carlito Brigante » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:27 pm

I've seen Goya's Ghost. It was interesting. You don't see that many movies portraying that time and era in Spain, so it was a decent period movie to watch. I watched a period French movie a bunch of years ago. There's only one way I can describe this movie: completely fucked up.

No ordinary movie.

When you see a bunch of priests like these you have to know things are going to get real ugly real fast.

Look at the poor guy's face.
Carlito Brigante

Postby Tourist » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:35 pm

That movie has great reviews and is streaming on Netflix, so I'll definitely watch it. The U.S. release is called Queen Margot.

This thread wouldn't be complete without mentioning I Heart Huckabees -

These guys are searching for truth

All hell breaks loose

A philosophical movie about finding meaning in life. Plus big NP connections as it features Jude Law, Jason Schwartzman, and Dustin Hoffman.
Tourist

Postby Carlito Brigante » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:36 am

I'll watch that one. Sounds like a movie I'd enjoy. I don't know how we could forget one of the great milestone achievements in the history of esoteric movies.

There will never ever be another movie like Mulholland Drive.

The guy with the cowboy hat is key to unlocking the story.

There is suspense even when you don't know what's going on.

They can't figure it out either.
Carlito Brigante

Postby Tourist » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:17 am

I've seen Mulholland Drive a few times, but it's always worth another look to try to unwind it.

Another movie that blurs the dream world and reality and has heavy philosophical themes- Waking life

Not always clear whats happening

It's a lucid dream

Where everyone has an opinion

The animation was a bit dodgy at times, but it has some of the best dialog in any movie I've seen. A bunch of great monologues strung together.
Tourist

Postby Carlito Brigante » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:53 am

I love bizarre animation. I'd definitely watch that. I saw this movie ages ago. It was awesomely weird. It's the time of movie that flies completely under the radar but its always fun to watch. It's called Renaissance.

Black and white animation. Totally love it.

The story's also pretty good. The futuristic storyline remains intriguing to the end.
Carlito Brigante

Postby Carlito Brigante » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:37 pm

I got another esoteric movie I saw a while ago.

Starring Captain America.

All of humanity lives in a train.

All those neglected live in the back of the train.

They want to take over.
Carlito Brigante

Postby Tourist » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:27 pm

Snowpiercer was pretty good. Reminds me a bit of Hunger Games, with the elites in control of everything and the little people left to fight over scraps.

I'm running out of movies, but this is one that fits the bill. The Seventh Seal

Watch a medieval knight play chess with Death.
Tourist

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic