Spiritual/Esoteric/Philosophical Film and Arts Discussion

Anything Goes

Re: Spiritual/Esoteric/Philosophical Film and Arts Discussio

Postby Tourist » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:32 pm

I've been checking out more foreign films lately. This one made an impression - The Exterminating Angel

These wealthy individuals gather for a dinner party

A mysterious force creates fear and prevents them from leaving

They begin to regress

It's essentially a film about fear, social structures, and manipulation and how they are used to controls us. That's my take at least.
Tourist

Postby Tourist » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:31 pm

Watched Pi last night. This was the last Aronofsky film I hadn't seen.

I could relate to this character's desire to find patterns in the randomness of life
Last edited by Tourist on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tourist

Postby Tourist » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:20 pm

Kubrick

I've found there are different moral and philosophical lessons in each of his films. But it goes much deeper than that with each film deeply layered with thematic meaning and symbolism. Is there some overarching message contained in his body of work?
Tourist

Postby Carlito Brigante » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:09 am

Honestly, I think there is as much meaning in a Kubrick movie as there is in an Ed Wood movie. The real difference is one of them manages to get the message across.

Carlito Brigante

Postby Tourist » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:21 am

I haven't seen any Ed Wood movies, just the Burton-Depp film which I liked. Any meaning derived is subjective to the individual anyway.

Have any films ever inspired you, opened your mind to new ideas, or caused you to question your perceptions?

Another question for you - Is there a list of Natalie's short films somewhere? The only one I've found online was Hotel Chevalier.
Tourist

Postby Carlito Brigante » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:47 pm

That's a very interesting question. I think Schindler's List was probably the first time I was consciously aware I was watching a true masterpiece.

It made me want to try to adapt this book into a screenplay.

The most fascinating thing is that the book is basically a historical jigsaw puzzle. It appears that Viktor Frankl survived by successfully identifying sympathetic Nazi officials on the spot and getting their help. According to his account it also appears that the Nazi commandant at the Kaufering 3 camp was not only a sympathetic Nazi official but also possibly a Nazi defector responsible for saving many lives at that camp, including Viktor Frankl himself. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the same guy who stopped the execution of the 15,000 sick prisoners at Kaufering 4, although there's no evidence to suggest that. Still nobody knows the guy's name, unless there's a record hidden somewhere in Germany. That's what I call one hell of a great freaking story. 8)

I know that you can find one of her shorts in New York I Love You.
Carlito Brigante

Postby Tourist » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:30 am

I agree about Schindler's List, definitely a masterpiece of filmmaking.

Interesting story about Frankl.
Tourist

Postby thevoid99 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:40 am

Tourist wrote:I agree about Schindler's List, definitely a masterpiece of filmmaking.

Interesting story about Frankl.

I just saw it today for the very first time. Yes, it's a masterpiece. I would say it's my 3rd favorite film by Spielberg. #1 is E.T. and # 2 is Saving Private Ryan. I was going to say Hook was his worst but.... there is that one movie with Shia LaBeouf and some guy in a refrigerator that I wished never existed.
"I wanna be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal from "Secretary"
thevoid99

Postby Carlito Brigante » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:34 pm

I have very mixed feelings about A.I.

Visually the movie's amazing. It's hard not to enjoy it while you're watching it.

I pretty much loved it right up to the point when I didn't.

Finding DNA 2,000 years old would be a major discovery for anybody, except for these weird looking dudes. All of a sudden he only has one day to finally get to feel true love? What's the point of having so much technology when you can't even use it? The melodrama. Just raise the damned clone and get on with it.

That's being said I still bought the dvd.
Carlito Brigante

Postby Tourist » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:30 pm

A.I. was conceived by Kubrick, but he handed it off to Spielberg because he thought Spielberg would be better suited to the material. It never really felt like it was a fully realized film. Masterfully produced and directed, but a pretty boring and unsatisfying story in the end.

As a movie with similar themes, Ex Machina blows it away. It was a much more satisfying, thought provoking, and thrilling movie. Ex Machina is what A.I. should have been. Only my opinion of course.

Tourist

Postby Carlito Brigante » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:09 pm

Blade Runner has by far one of the best endings of any movie out there. It's one of those movies where every single word that is said seems to reach another level of mysticism. Every single shot seems meticulous and otherworldly. The Chinese backdrop couldn't be more perfect here. To me this is a real masterpiece.
Carlito Brigante

Postby Tourist » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:21 pm

Tourist

Postby Carlito Brigante » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:33 pm

I love the Dune miniseries, the one with Professor Xavier. It's a lot more obscure, but it's way better than the movie.

I own the Children of Dune music. One of my favorites.

This is Professor Xavier becoming a worm.

Princess Irulan takes care of him and his sister.

Would've loved to see the episodes where the guy becomes the God Emperor worm, but I'm still waiting for that. :roll:
Carlito Brigante

Postby Tourist » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:29 pm

I want to check out Children of Dune, I haven't seen it yet. I enjoyed the David Lynch film and the Dune miniseries.

Stargate is a film with some interesting symbolism.

A metaphorical birth canal

The Eye of Horus is prominent in the film

The antagonist is immortal alien being who possesses human hosts and demands to be worshiped as a god

It's a pretty straight forward science fiction film, yet I always sensed there was something more going on thematically just below the surface.
Tourist

Postby Carlito Brigante » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:55 am

I liked Stargate. Way better movie than most of the stuff out there. I agree there's more to it than just a regular action movie. This is another movie I love. It's a completely worthy Star Wars rip off.

Everything about The Black Hole is good. The story's great. The production is great. Just an overall solid movie.

The black hole is always there, looming. You never know why it's there. But the black hole is very important.

They're no R2-D2, but they earn the respect of the crew.

This robot is not as dumb as it looks.
Carlito Brigante

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic