The Books Thread

Anything Goes

Re: The Books Thread

Postby Extreme Allah » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:36 pm

I love cheeseball media, if I can soak it up passively, but the main thing a book has over passive alternatives is that we are able to interface with it in ways that are more intellectually or more complexly emotionally stimulating. I just don't understand the value everyone else gets out of reading pulp. I would rather watch One Tree Hill than read books like that, and I am positively obsessed with the show.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby Brian » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:56 pm

Extreme Allah wrote:I would rather watch One Tree Hill than read books like that, and I am positively obsessed with the show.

Dammit, for a second there, I was thinkin you were sayin you are positively obsessed with One Tree Hill and I was gonna laugh and come clean that I've semi recently gotten hooked on old eps of OTH and the O.C. (Adam Brody and Rachel Bilson ftw!) on the soapnet channel. But you're actually saying you are obsessed with GoT - ok, I guess I'll keep my guilty pleasures to myself then so I don't get branded as that guy with horrible taste - oops, wait, too late!
Brian

Re:

Postby Extreme Allah » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:17 am

Brian wrote:
Extreme Allah wrote:I would rather watch One Tree Hill than read books like that, and I am positively obsessed with the show.

Dammit, for a second there, I was thinkin you were sayin you are positively obsessed with One Tree Hill and I was gonna laugh and come clean that I've semi recently gotten hooked on old eps of OTH and the O.C. (Adam Brody and Rachel Bilson ftw!) on the soapnet channel. But you're actually saying you are obsessed with GoT - ok, I guess I'll keep my guilty pleasures to myself then so I don't get branded as that guy with horrible taste - oops, wait, too late!

I haven't actually watched OTH, but I have a history of loving stupid shit. Secret Life of the American Teen was my favorite show for a while, I used to follow Gossip Girl, I love Gilmore Girls, I love dumb teen drama in general, really. I watch a few English shows like that, and I'm sure there is tons of other shit I've loved over the years that isn't better than OTH. Shit, GoT may be a zillion times better a show, but large mainstream pockets of people would laugh a lot harder at you for liking it than they would OTH.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby Shantih » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:34 pm

I generally just try to be happy that people are reading, although there are some books that really put that philosophy to the test.
Shantih

Postby quick_wit » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:59 am

i can't read on a computer, i prefer holding the book in my hands, but kindle is convenient though
quick_wit

Postby buttsie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:33 am

Extreme Allah wrote:I love cheeseball media, if I can soak it up passively, but the main thing a book has over passive alternatives is that we are able to interface with it in ways that are more intellectually or more complexly emotionally stimulating. I just don't understand the value everyone else gets out of reading pulp. I would rather watch One Tree Hill than read books like that, and I am positively obsessed with the show.

Its probably more to do with the fact that the amount of quality anything thesedays is diminishing

So when you come across something thats of a high standard that faithful to its original source
you tend to get bitten by the bug and follow it through

As to what was behind the likes of popular best sellers like harry potter,the da vinci code & twilight
taste is in the eyes of the reader I guess

Doesnt matter wether the book/ TV series or film came first as their all different genres that bring something different to the table

The only downsides that i can see to reading GOT are that your setting yourself up to pretty much know what will unfold on the TV plus the first book you already know how it goes

As long as you dont mind spoilers either way it isnt an issue

Personally I've avoided reading GOT because of the above AND the fact that the ageing author
hasnt finished writing the series...not going to get stuck with another Robert Jordan WOT saga
buttsie

Postby quick_wit » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:38 pm

what do you mean by LAST? i haven't even finished a storm of swords T__T
quick_wit

Postby robot » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:08 pm

Rachel wrote:Finally finished A Dance with Dragons. That last Jon POV chapter. I CAN'T.

I know, right?! I can't wait six years to find out what happens next! GRRM!
robot

Postby buttsie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:01 am

Picturing GRR Martin currently lounging in a hammock over a sea of scrunched up papers suffering from writers block :P

Maybe someone could offer to be his personal assistant

I can see it :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMnNvjUO ... re=related
Last edited by buttsie on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
buttsie

Postby buttsie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:56 am

We live in hope he finds a 60 something maiden who inspires him to get ACTIVE and kill more characters

ImageImageImageImage
buttsie

Postby quick_wit » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:39 pm

well it is fun to kill characters, when i first started out to write, someone always dies, it was my lame definition of horror when i was a kid....damn i have to catch up on my reading

i love it that you don't really know where Arya ends up, have they casted the Reeds yet?
quick_wit

Postby buttsie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:23 pm

Theres plenty of comment online about GRRR Martin preferring his Protangonists to die rather than to prosper...seems like a smart move to me given 99% of other authors take the good guy loses battle but wins war most of the time

Given Westeros is set in medieval times more deaths would seem to be reality +1

The fact that the conniving scheming characters arent either obviously good or bad intially just makes the story that more unpredictable and hence interesting.
buttsie

Postby quick_wit » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Robb why do you have to be so.....young

Damn you Walder Frey, Others take you!

I ship bran and the reeds girl
quick_wit

Postby quick_wit » Tue May 22, 2012 1:46 pm

finally I got an email notification!

I bought a whole bunch of books that I haven't read yet although am thinking of getting A dance with dragons.Is it recommendable to buy as a paper back though? I heard there's really nothing much in it that progresses the series forward.
quick_wit

Postby quick_wit » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:59 pm

does anyone have a PDF or downloadable source of The Pig That Wants to be Eaten by Julian Baggini?
quick_wit

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic