The Books Thread

Anything Goes

Postby Extreme Allah » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:18 am

I like that Ordinary Gentlemen blog. There are thoughts he seems to not quite say that I think I would sort of oppose, but mostly I am just amused by people who are irritated by lit. critics in the ways I am.

Most of the literary world, I'm convinced, doesn't really understand 99% of the writers they like, as well as the writers they don't. I mean, I'm guilty of the later to a large degree at times, but I have at least figured out to stop being a dick about things I don't like that were created by people smarter and harder working than I am, and I've done so before I'm old enough to drink.

I literally just cannot handle the sprawling infrastructure of redundancy and selfcongratulation that makes up the world of middlebrow lit. critics and aficionados. It just grosses me out. I guess I'll get over that as irony washes away all my moral contempt, traditionally, but...idk.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby Extreme Allah » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:48 pm

I rarely come across anything literary that I suspect the core posters here would love, but anyone who wants to be blown away, I've been tearing through graphic novels lately, and I read one last night.... It was called Blankets, and was somehow one of the most beautiful, sad, amazing things I've ever read, and I think some of you guys (and ladies) would really dig it. It's about 600pages, and I opened it up to look at it, and didn't put it down 'til I finished it.

I've recommended comics in the past I think, and Jimmy Corrigan in particular is another one that the non-violence-enjoying, amagical-seeking posters here may enjoy, and I'm still in an after glow of emotional release here so I shouldn't be held to this, but dare I say that even the great Jimmy Corrigan doesn't beat [i]Blankets[/].

If you do the .cbr thing, there is a torrent here, but for a fair $20US you get to hold it in your hands, and pass it on to a friend: http://www.amazon.com/Blankets-Craig-Th ... 1891830430

Beautiful b&w illustration, super emotionally affecting story with a lot of great elements, notably growing up with religion, and particularly first love, all handled with perfect tone. It probably tore me up more than in should have; like my comic equivalent of the first cast of Skins. But I know some of you fags were as shredded by Skins (not to imply that these things are alike, as they are not at all, and I just use that reference to remind you that when handled with care, I am susceptible to adolescent melodrama as anyone) as I was, so I really hope someone here takes this suggestion.

Enjoy.
Extreme Allah

Postby Spoonbat » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:17 pm

Hey guys, my girl has been getting up my ass about reading this book called "pi."

It's like about a boy and a tiger in a boat or something strange. It sounds a little weird so I wasn't sure if it would be good or not.

Have you heard anything about it/read it?
Spoonbat

Postby maverick88 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:34 pm

Does anyone else plan on checking out "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown?
"If it's Sunday, it's Meet The Press" - Tim Russert
maverick88

Postby Shantih » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:36 pm

A world of no.
Shantih

Postby Dazza » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:06 pm

He writes those books in crayon. True story.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:38 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Family-Will ... 148&sr=8-2

Possibly one of the 25 greatest books I've ever read. Melvillian, imo. With Wallace d-6, V-Doggie Dog is making a push for my #1 position, and it doesn't hurt that he puts out like 3 hard covers a year.
Extreme Allah

Postby maverick88 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:26 pm

I might give that book a try. I don't really have any interest in reading The DaVinci Code, I guess what caught my interest is that it's about the Freemasons anyways it's only fiction and I plan to get some non-fiction books about Freemasons.
maverick88

Postby Spoonbat » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:42 am

I don't believe in that nutty conspiracy stuff but let me ask you guys.....do you think there's really something to that whole Bilderberger/Freemason/New World Order/Illumunati crap?
Spoonbat

Postby buttsie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:09 am

Its all a load of nonsense designed to do one thing

Attract plebs who like to believe in conspiracy theories and lighten their wallets

I've no doubt in the upper eschelons of society there are people/groups who plot to remain/become powerful but thats just normal,no great secret
buttsie

Postby buttsie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:43 am

Rachel wrote:I hate Dan Brown sfm.

He is a smug SOB

"The author told Lauer that after six years of working on “The Lost Symbol,” he thinks he’s succeeded with another 600-page page-turner that transpires in just 12 hours of real time.

“There’s some pressure. And I have delivered again, I believe,” Brown told Lauer in a home filled with books and memorabilia from the blockbuster movies starring Tom Hanks that have been made from his books. “I’m thrilled with this book. This is a book that I would love to read.”

I was watching the tragics lined up since the early hours of the morning to get the new book only to see them read it completely within a few hours...

To those type of people all that has to be delivered is the same feeling as the first novel.Change the characters names and keep the same premise going...hardly something worthy of saying "I've delivered again"
buttsie

Postby maverick88 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:35 am

Well, there is a Half-Price Bookstore near where I live so if I don't like the book I can go there and trade it in for some magic beans.
maverick88

Postby buttsie » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:40 am

A smart man once told me be patient and most best sellers will turn up for free in your local library....he had a point

I'd sooner read a non-fiction book from the library than fork over cash for what is nothing more than a sly attack on a secret society by another christian author.
buttsie

Postby maverick88 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:33 am

Dazza wrote:He writes those books in crayon. True story.

In the past I bought books written by George W. Bush, Dan Quayle, and Bill Cosby's Picture Pages so I'm not a rookie when it comes to reading books written in crayon.
maverick88

Postby buttsie » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:10 am

Heartbreak Ridge by Joesph Stinson

Its like Dirty Harry joined the army...classic

buttsie

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic