The Books Thread

Anything Goes

Postby JenR » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:45 pm

I went to this DC (im guessing) comic book store at this mall lastnight, and (im not a huge Comic Book SUPER hero fan) and i was like "... what are we here for?" and he was like "I dont know... I as going to see if they had V or something" and i was like "NO they dont have V (i looked once)" and he was like "Well have Watchmen" and i was like "No they don't they-.." *Looked up at top self* 'WATCHMEN!!!'

i literally threw all my money out on the floor counting it to see if i had enough to buy it. *barely* Then then i went to the cash register guy (who was laughing AWAY with his 'buddies' who had a hilarious sounding laugh). And the whole comments of them to me were total comic book nerd -ish. it was so cool. it was like:

Guy 1: Watchmenn.. Great choice(sssss).

Guy 2: Classsssic.

then my boyfriend was like "You're respected in the comic book world." I FELT SO COOL. It was awesome. lmao
JenR

Postby Extreme Allah » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:54 am

Thomas Pynchon; does he live up to the hype? Yes. Easily the best writer of dynamic, modern prose 'til Wallace, and maybe funnier, Pynchon is maybe the smartest postmodern author, while somehow remaining among the few who don't come across as annoying prigs.

Read Gravity's Rainrow.
Extreme Allah

Postby Shantih » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:34 pm

I'm a few chapters into Enduring Love by Ian McEwan right now. I loved Atonement and while this one seems good, I'm finding myself disliking the main character a bit and almost wishing he'd kept hold of the balloon rope too.

Has anyone on here heard of http://www.librarything.com? Someone on another site introduced me to it and I'm completely addicted. As well as being able to catolouge your collection, there's groups, reviews, suggesters, etc, and I've found myself browsing through people's catolouges and book pages for far too long. I've just upgraded to a paid account (you can only have up to 200 books on a free one), so I need to have another adding session when I get time.

My profile on there if anyone cares - http://www.librarything.com/profile/Shantih.
Shantih

Postby Jaina » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:04 pm

Shantih wrote:I'm a few chapters into Enduring Love by Ian McEwan right now. I loved Atonement and while this one seems good, I'm finding myself disliking the main character a bit and almost wishing he'd kept hold of the balloon rope too.

Has anyone on here heard of http://www.librarything.com? Someone on another site introduced me to it and I'm completely addicted. As well as being able to catolouge your collection, there's groups, reviews, suggesters, etc, and I've found myself browsing through people's catolouges and book pages for far too long. I've just upgraded to a paid account (you can only have up to 200 books on a free one), so I need to have another adding session when I get time.

My profile on there if anyone cares - http://www.librarything.com/profile/Shantih.

Sounds like fun, I'm going to check it out.

EDIT: Got myself an account! http://www.librarything.com/profile/jaina so I'm going to start adding books now.
Vivre, on veut tous vivre
Sans se haïr, sans en mourir
Vivre et se parler, se respecter et même s'aimer...
Vivre...

"If I could dream at all, it would be about you. And I'm not ashamed of it." - Edward
Jaina

Postby Extreme Allah » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:03 am

Shakespeare: still relevant, or completely lifeless claptrap, only even pretend-appreciated by no-nothing teachers who feel obligated to?

I don't think WS (henceforth shorthand for William Shakespeare's body of work) should still even be taught to high-schoolers at all. What little is left to appreciated, high-schoolers can't, regardless. There's a lot of cool shit to be mined from WS, but, assuming art is something that should even be forced in school, and assuming there isn't a better place to find a relatable proximally, teenagers lack the ability to understand the actual depths of WS. In fact, most people do, and the ones who tell you otherwise are almost always wrong, even if they think they're not lying.

Really all that's left beyond that is some light metaphor, and the stories. At least the story is still good, right? No. WS suffers from what I call Wishbone Syndrome, named after the childrens' show, with that dog by the same name. Basically, the theory is that almost every classic story has been so dead horse-beaten by 22-minute cartoonizations that they lose all and any impact that they might have been able to save from antiquation.

What you're more-or-less left with is a handful of odd little interesting double-binds, and things of that nature, that most people can handle, that were "too hot for TV," so-to-speak, thus never making their way into "Rugrats do King Lear," or whatever, and so much lifeless cliché that it's almost impossible to get to those parts, anyway.

That being said, Macbeth and Hamlet are both worthwhile reads, if you can handle subtext, and R&J would be a pretty fascinating plot, if Wishbone Syndrome hadn't buried it when you were four.

If you're looking for a replacement, DeLillo should be taught instead. And let's not get started on why DFW should be a major high school player.

(Also, Shakespeare's sense of humor, as is always the case past 100 years or so, is dead to history, and pretending to find it funny is a paper-thin ruse.) [/i]
Extreme Allah

Postby Dazza » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:59 am

JenR wrote:I bought
an hour ago!!!!!!!!! WOOT!

I skipped threw it in the car, and i landed on a page with 2 people getting it on with each other. :!:

then a dude that had nothing but a nervous system. :shock: badass!! :lol:

Try not to spoil it for yourself. It's an incredible read.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Shantih » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:33 pm

I think Shakespeare should only be taught at 6th Form level over here (16-18, and it's voluntary). I had to start in Year 9 (age 13) and it went completely over my head. Although I'm not a huge fan, I still think he should be taught in higher english lit because he had such a huge impact on the english language it'd be almost ignorant not to. I do dislike how teachers trump him as the ultimate playwright though, when realistically we've seen many more talented ones since.

I've developed a bit of affection of Shakespeare over the last couple of years, I've seen several of his plays, but recently I went to see Macbeth and Othello at The Globe Theatre and that put a whole new perspective on them - seeing them not just performed, but in the original setting Shakespeare intended.

And I have to add that while the humour falls flat when reading, when the plays are performed they can be pretty amusing at some points.
Shantih

Postby JenR » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:38 pm

Dazza wrote:

I skipped threw it in the car, and i landed on a page with 2 people getting it on with each other. :!:

Try not to spoil it for yourself. It's an incredible read.

yeah it's pretty good so far. I'm not a good reader so it'l take me a while to finish it.

I haven't read it in about a week or so, because i've been sick with allergies. I left on the part where there were two Dr. Manhattans getting kinky. :lol:

I am really interested in Rorschach. He's so mysterious. I got bored yesterday and want to erase my face, and then a :idea: popped in my head.

Image it's not finished. I'm so weird. :roll:
JenR

Postby The Demon's Head » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:13 am

Currently heavily immersed in Essential Amazing Spider-Man Volume 1.
The Demon's Head

Postby Extreme Allah » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:31 am

I've been catching up on all the poker books and all the math books I missed while I was trying to kill myself by smoking crack, and I came across a gem the melds the two more interestingly, albeit less usefully, than any I've seen before: The Mathematics of Poker

Bill Chen is my new hero.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby Jaina » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:52 pm

I finally started Atonement last night. Yay me.
Vivre, on veut tous vivre
Sans se haïr, sans en mourir
Vivre et se parler, se respecter et même s'aimer...
Vivre...

"If I could dream at all, it would be about you. And I'm not ashamed of it." - Edward
Jaina

Postby The Demon's Head » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:59 am

The Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns set new heights and are really credited with the beginning of a darker tone being implemented into comics.
The Demon's Head

Postby JenR » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:48 am

I'm not really liking Watchmen as much as I did V. There are two many characters that I don't really care to read about.

V was easy.. it was just two people in most scenes or just one person. I enjoyed the parts when there was just one person, a lot. Thats hit me emotionally. :roll:
JenR

Postby Extreme Allah » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:04 am

Anyone following the Riot Lit. Collective? I'm predicting big things, there. Watch Out is the best thing to come out of that camp, thusly. I don't know that the nature of the material really allows it to get much better than that, but it's the only thing exciting to come along since like Palahniuk. Check it out.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby Shantih » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:54 pm

Jaina wrote:I finally started Atonement last night. Yay me.

Big yay to you! I love that book. Hopefully the adaption will be good.

I can't quite remember exactly what I've read lately. I remember The Quiet American by Graham Green and Shardik by Richard Adams. I've started The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera today.
Shantih

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic