Sending Aid hurts africa

Anything Goes

Sending Aid hurts africa

Postby samchez » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:28 pm

samchez
Site Admin

Postby Shantih » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:22 pm

Just giving money is easier for people, then they can give £5 and feel like that's their karma sorted for the year.

I agree pouring money in doesn't help (and I don't like celebrities like Bono crapping on all the time either, if he cared that much he'd spend perhaps a little less time in private jets) but we shouldn't stop sending money to organisations that perform active aid, like teaching people the things that article mentioned, teaching about AIDs and treating the people suffering for it, etc.
Shantih

Postby JenR » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:31 pm

i heard that the money in Africa we send is kept by the government and is never used.
JenR

Postby maverick88 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:14 am

It is an interesting article samchez, thankyou for posting that.
maverick88

Postby Extreme Allah » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:00 am

Yeah, I'm actually surprised this was printed (posted). Most of the time when something different and conservative (when I use the word "conservative," I mean the common use, which is to say, anything that doesn't involve throwing piles of money at something) is championed by an economist, he's called a Randian nut-job, and it's swept under the rug. I guess the fact that this one is African makes it different, because people are retarded.

But you know who's really, really, really retarded? Bono.

Also, U2 is the most boring, over-rated band ever.

(Keep in mind that I don't even try to economically justify not caring about Africa. The fact that I just don't give a shit is reason enough for me.)
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby Brian » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:30 am

This is why I think Nat is correct in supporting FINCA, cuz rather than just throwing money at poor countries, they give microloans to help individual people establish businesses. And that's what that article is championing, investing in the people themselves, not the governments. It seems like it has a much better chance of succeeding by trying to fix the root of the problem rather than applying band-aids. So while I like to donate to Nat's fav charity cuz I like Nat, really I choose FINCA cuz it makes sense (but I prob'ly wouldn't be aware of it without Nat). Not that my piddly amounts can make much of a difference, but every little bit does something.
Brian

Postby JenR » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:51 pm

thats one thing i kind of admire about that program. They're getting the people there to work for there money, and letting them depend on other countries to send them their wealth.
JenR

Postby samchez » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:57 pm

JenR wrote:i heard that the money in Africa we send is kept by the government and is never used.

goverments in africa are corrupt, and the money leaders are supposed to spend on infrastructure is kept from the public. In an article with a kenyan economist, he says that stock piles of cash are kept, money in the millions possibly billions. He also goes on to say that many of the clothes, food, medicine and material possesions send to africa ends up in the market and bankrupts businesses such as tailors, farms, and other services/businesses, which in the long run will hurt the economy.

In order for Africa's economy to jumpstart, we must let them fend for themselves(stopping most of the aid sent), and invest in their business sectors like china is doing. China has been advocating this for years with no one listening.

FINCA is good because they boost the ecomomy of the country and money goes directly to the people.
samchez
Site Admin

Postby JenR » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:58 pm

its actually one of the riches countries. Because of the diamonds or something, but the government has too many stick shoved up there as to care about the people dying there.

I'm sure there's going to a war with Africa in future years to come, becasue we'll probably do another "invasion" and try to kill their leader, and then try to redo their government. It'll be Iraq and Korea all over again. :roll:

I'm on pin and needles waiting for some shit to start with China. They keep poising our damn food, and I'm really starting to think its a terrorist act. Its just suspicious that everything we have exported from them is being recalled. Dog food had rat poisoning, and i heard on TV this new thing (that i don't eat) is being recalled form another poison.

My mom thinking about growing and making our own food now.
JenR

Postby Extreme Allah » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:46 pm

JenR wrote:its actually one of the riches countries. Because of the diamonds or something, but the government has too many stick shoved up there as to care about the people dying there.

I'm sure there's going to a war with Africa in future years to come, becasue we'll probably do another "invasion" and try to kill their leader, and then try to redo their government. It'll be Iraq and Korea all over again. :roll:

I'm on pin and needles waiting for some shit to start with China. They keep poising our damn food, and I'm really starting to think its a terrorist act. Its just suspicious that everything we have exported from them is being recalled. Dog food had rat poisoning, and i heard on TV this new thing (that i don't eat) is being recalled form another poison.

My mom thinking about growing and making our own food now.

Most fucked up countries are fucked up because their government steals more money than optimally profitable, long-term (the rest are that way because war lords/terrorists run wild). The trick to running a successful one is to steal just enough, and also create an illogical sense of national pride, so people think that they owe something "back" to you. It's tougher than making the money honestly, but hey, there are other, more important, incentives.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby JenR » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:09 pm

make since, becasue settlers stole America from the Indians.
JenR

Postby owwltbsw » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:09 am

When I was in Africa one of my friends told me that he would not grow maize, corn, the following season because yellow processed maize was too readily available. Just one more example of how the locals are becoming more not less dependent.
owwltbsw

Postby maverick88 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:25 pm

Brian wrote:This is why I think Nat is correct in supporting FINCA, cuz rather than just throwing money at poor countries, they give microloans to help individual people establish businesses. And that's what that article is championing, investing in the people themselves, not the governments. It seems like it has a much better chance of succeeding by trying to fix the root of the problem rather than applying band-aids. So while I like to donate to Nat's fav charity cuz I like Nat, really I choose FINCA cuz it makes sense (but I prob'ly wouldn't be aware of it without Nat). Not that my piddly amounts can make much of a difference, but every little bit does something.

I agree 100%, then in turn countries can establish trade with them and prosper even more on both sides.
"If it's Sunday, it's Meet The Press" - Tim Russert
maverick88

Re: Sending Aid hurts africa

Postby susuki5678 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:55 am

but every little bit does something.

gclub
susuki5678

Return to Off-Topic