School Thread

Anything Goes

Postby Shantih » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:57 am

I start Sept 28th. Technically anyway, we probably won't actually do anything until October.

We've had a summer project to do, I've done a fair bit but I need to get a move on.
Shantih

Postby Extreme Allah » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:07 pm

Chloe, what are the career options of an artist of your aspirations?
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby Shantih » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:21 pm

Mostly freelance - there's good money in it if you're good enough but obviously comes with the downside of not knowing where your next job is coming from. There are studio jobs too, but they're harder to get. The money is sometimes not as good as freelance, but you have job security and the chance to work in an enviroment with other illustrators. I think ultimately I'd like to be freelance, but with a really good agent (one of those will go a long way to ending the worry about not having more jobs lined up).

I'd also like to keep a toe in gallery work, quite a lot of the stuff I like to do is suitable for it (a lot of still lives mostly, in oil). Quite a few illustrators manage to do this well, Dave Palumbo is one who comes to mind.

You can make good money in this industry but you have to be damn good. Hence why I draw and worry a lot. I'm trying to stress less over it all though, I look at my work from just two years ago and it's abominable, so it seems reasonable that if I work really hard I could get to a professional level in five years (I've got no illusions about falling into full-time illustration after my degree).
Shantih

Postby Huc » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:36 am

Someone I know who majored in art/design worked in a studio or two, but that person also is teaching art/design course at a local college. So keep your options open. Artistic majors tend to have a lot of people, and most of them are unaware of their limits, but breaking in seems quite difficult. As Chloe said, you need to be really good. Somehow it reminds me of movie 'Pollack' where Pollack discovers that critics are now focusing on a new talent and gives same praise to the new artist, while Pollack is now relegated to fading obscurity.

I don't know how artistic people like Chloe or JenR do it, but I seriously can't deal with emotional development and articulation that is prerequisite for the field.
Huc

Postby Shantih » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:22 pm

Interesting that you say that, as the most common criticism I get on my work is that there's a lack of emotional involvement with the subject.

I've thought about it a lot over the last couple of years and came to the conclusion that I don't give a flying crap. It's indicative of how I am as a person and I can't see how I can change that.
Lucian Freud's whole spiel has always been that he sees the model as an object not a person and it seems to be working for him.
Shantih

Postby Spoonbat » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:08 pm

Spoonbat

Postby maverick88 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:53 pm

I did very well on my first Basic Accounting test but I have a test tomorrow for Basic Anatomy and Medical Office Terminology on Thursday..
"If it's Sunday, it's Meet The Press" - Tim Russert
maverick88

Postby quick_wit » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:33 am

i really want to study creative writing and go to workshops but they are freaking expensive here and on weekdays too. Its not exactly a practical job, so literature is stale here, most of the books we have at stores are imported, its sad really. Most of the time i feel that my writing is in a completely amateur level but then its the only thing i really like doing - but mostly it stops me from talking to myself or stare at a blank space thinking of nothing.
quick_wit

Postby maverick88 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:55 am

I kind of bombed my first test, I still passed but the good news is I have 11 more tests in the class to bring my grade up.
maverick88

Postby maverick88 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:02 am

Halfway through the semester already, I'm doing great in a couple of my classes but in the other two I need to study a little bit more.
maverick88

Postby JenR » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:12 am

ive gone to class for two weeks... got two weeks off, by just luck i guess.

one had a death, one was sick and i was in vegas.
JenR

Postby maverick88 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:12 am

It's almost time to register for the next semester, I met with my advisor and picked out my classes and I might be able to start my internship sooner than I thought. :) so I think I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
maverick88

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic