Any sports fans?

Anything Goes

Re: Any sports fans?

Postby Extreme Allah » Tue May 06, 2014 8:03 pm

Yeah, that's what is weird about RWB. He is a warrior night in and night out. Physically. I can't think of a player to compare him to. There are guys who work their asses off like that and then have emotional or mental collapses, but he isn't totally collapsing exactly, and his skill level is a lot higher than anyone else I could even say they much about. He is the weirdest player. I love him.

KD "sleepwalking" is a pretty high floor, but you finally were getting the feeling with him that he knew he had to be the terminator for the team to get over the hump and win one, and I haven't really seen a lot of that yet. But yeah, still way too early. I am starting to doubt their actual prospects, though, for the first time, premature or not. (They match up much better against other top teams, though)

But whatever this says about the team, losing one at home to start a series is not good for your position. It will be interesting to see what the line is like for this next game, because the first one had OKC as a 2:1 favorite.

Also, farewell, MJax. You were a bad coach, an overrated player, and a legit con man as a person. For all those reasons, your players will miss you and the fans will not.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Re: Any sports fans?e

Postby Extreme Allah » Wed May 07, 2014 6:12 am

Everybody says the nets are a gross matchup for the Heat. I know they swept them in the regular season, but I don't think things like that are particularly useful metrics for the playoffs, particularly with as weird and unbalanced as that conference is. I think the Heat might just roll. Granted, KG and PP might combine for more than 8 points some night, and it would be more challenging.

Here is a question: is there a team left in the east, outside the Heat, that is better than any team left in the west? Wizards might be a good matchup for Portland? Probably not?
Extreme Allah

Postby Dazza » Wed May 07, 2014 11:41 am

But the hero ball can only take the team so far. When they play best sure, Durant and Westbrook dominate, but they also share the ball and the rest of the team chips in. The first 6 or so minutes against the Clips was how it should be. Much better movement of the ball and players. Scoring coming from everywhere etc. But as confidence ebbed away they went back to a very static game. Still managed over 100 pts though, and with Kd and Russ sitting the 4th, so I wouldn't point the finger at the scoring. Defensively they just weren't up to it. Must do better.

And yeah, if I ranked the teams who I think could win the east teams not named Miami would be below the west.

See KD's MVP speech? I was in tears for almost the whole thing.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Wed May 07, 2014 4:59 pm

Admittedly, I'm heavily biased toward just watching super stars go off (which is weird given how much better I think LeBron is than anyone), but I think some hero ball is required here. Nothing more efficient than a star taking and buring everything. (Also admittedly, I haven't seen a ton of Thunder games, outside of ones where either the team was losing to a 7 seed or ones where KD was taking and making every shot, so I probably don't have the widest picture of what their every day offense should look like. But I don't have a ton of trust in most of the team on offense, and have seen Jackson look like he is trying to make the D League more times than not, so I'm putting my eggs in KD's basket. )

To be honest, I'm not really placing a ton of blame in the D. I'm sure they can do better, but I think the Clippers offense might just not be stoppable right now,

I didn't see the press conference. I love KD so much, though. I think he is genuinely a boring, nice person off the court, and think he really believes it when he tells the press things like that he wants to be called "the Server," because he serves his fans and teammates, am love the idea of him fighting back tears over an award. Mostly because this being sincere makes it that much more awesome to me when he screams at McHale about being unstoppable after scoring, or straddles someone after dunking on them, and yells,"GET OFF ME BITCH!"
Extreme Allah

Postby Extreme Allah » Wed May 07, 2014 5:24 pm

I'm happy MJax was fired, but maybe people are going a tad too far.
Extreme Allah

Postby Dazza » Wed May 07, 2014 5:29 pm

Definitely check the video out, it feels kinda unprecedented for a star to be that humble. Tell you what, if they don't win tonight after that then they should fire Brooks on the spot. He spoke about every damn player on the team, even guys who are D leaguers, and shared personal stories about what they mean to him. Every one of those guys will step into traffic for him after that. The talent is there. The bond is there. If they lose then it's a massive failing on the coaching side.

Jackson is either great or awful. Which is probably a good thing cos if he was always playing near his best there's no way OKC could afford him.

As for the other Jackson, seems really strange to me. I know there have been some ego issues but the players play for him and I think he's done a hell of a job there. With Bogut they could very well have been in the second round.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Wed May 07, 2014 5:59 pm

Things are looking really good for them tonight, based on what I understand about betting line movement, at least.
Extreme Allah

Postby Extreme Allah » Wed May 07, 2014 6:23 pm

Oh, also, don't get me wrong. Jackson had to go. He just did so many ridiculous frustrating things, like endless, anemic postup after postup at important times. I just don't see the need to be an ass about it, just fire the guy.

Top candidate for the job is SVG. Second best coach after Pop, had to flake on a radio appearance the day MJax was fired...he'll get an offer, and I'll hope he takes it.
Extreme Allah

Postby Dazza » Wed May 07, 2014 7:07 pm

But they were still a joke team before he got his hands on them, they had an objectively decent season on the court and actually if you look at their defense, considering the players they have, he was kind of a miracle worker. Plus a young coach still learning. I dunno, seems really odd to me.

Stan should hang on just a few weeks. Might be a more tantalizing job opening on the horizon #scottyout
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Thu May 08, 2014 1:48 am

Idk, he is almost 50 and is still so bad at basketball strategy that it costs his team a lot of points. I assume they figure it's now one of the most tempting positions, in the best city in the world, and there isn't a ton of downside to ditching a below average coach for an opportunity to hire a rock star.

Edit: Also, lol, have you been to OKC and or SF? One is the best and the other is the worst. If they had LeBron, Anthony Davis and Dwight, I'd still rather coach the Kings.
Extreme Allah

Postby Extreme Allah » Thu May 08, 2014 7:01 am

KD and RWB looked better. But they'll need to combine for a hell of a lot more than 63/19/22 if they want to beat JJ Reddick and Big Baby three more times.

Hey, D, I though you were an idiot when you were so cocksure about how much better MJax is than Scotty. I was dead wrong. He is so terrible. His rotations don't even make no sense. I think this might be part of why you are perplexed by the hurry to get rid of MJax. Scotty just sets such a lot bar.

Also, Perkins is such an albatross.

Those are the upgrades to make.
Extreme Allah

Postby Dazza » Thu May 08, 2014 7:35 pm

That was more like it. Russ' defense was awful in game 1 but he was everywhere last night. Ibaka was so good on Blake as well. And KD was KD.

I think there are many coaches who would be happy to live in Iraq for the chance to get to coach KD and Russ.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Thu May 08, 2014 9:40 pm

There are plenty of coaches who would be thrilled to live in Iraq just to have a job, too. I suspect none of those are people who routinely turn down offers, grew up in the Bay and live in FL.

Also, I think he has an adult child with a mental problem who he takes care of and isn't all that public about, and not sure OKC is going to offer most impressive care for that. I think treatment their still assumes that problems like those are a symptom of demon possession.

I think he is not that likely to take a job at all because if that, and the Warriors being the Warriors seem to flabbergastingly prefer Kerr (which is going to put me on mega tilt), but I think SF is a way more tempting offer if he had take one of those.

Scotty is happy to let the Clippers move the ball around and get open looks, as the price of crowding Paul and not giving him any shot. I feel like that has to be a mistake. Paul is good enough that it's something to briefly consider. But only briefly.
Extreme Allah

Postby Extreme Allah » Thu May 08, 2014 9:49 pm

Also, Russ is fun to watch, I don't know he would be fun to coach. At least not for a traditional coaching personality. He takes a billion bad shots every single night. When a bunch fall, he played great that night. When they don't, he didn't. I think a coach has to be comfortable letting him do stuff that's in no one's interest but his every single night in order to gain the value of the rest of his game. I think it's more than worth it, and love it as a basketball fan, but coaches are a funny breed. It wouldn't stun me if RWB turns a lot of coaches off.
Extreme Allah

Postby Dazza » Sat May 10, 2014 4:18 pm

Offensively game 3 was perfect. In control, big numbers for the big 2 with plenty of great support from Ibaka (god can he shoot), Reggie and Butler.
Dazza
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic