Any sports fans?

Anything Goes

Re: Any sports fans?

Postby Extreme Allah » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:53 pm

Iggy is God. I think he found his place in the NBA, and it just so happens to be on my team.

---

Last year Harden was probably the best SG in basketball. This year he is working on becoming its worst defender. This is really sad and frustrating to watch.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby Dazza » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Yeah Iggy is fitting in great. So happy that basketball is back. And that Russ is back. Things were looking bleak without him.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:39 am

Too bad Perkins is back.
Extreme Allah

Postby Dazza » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:09 pm

Extreme Allah wrote:Too bad Perkins is back.

With less and less minutes every night. Brooks is finally playing the best players and not bowing down to intangible shit.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:18 pm

I read somewhere that when asked why Perkins was still playing, he explained that the team had a good winning % with him in the lineup. lol.
Extreme Allah

Postby Extreme Allah » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:26 am

IGGY! IGGY!

What a game!
Extreme Allah

Postby Dazza » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:16 am

:(
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:49 pm

Still an awesome game though. Russ is like 8 kinds of super stud. I'd never really spent much time watching him before he got hurt, and didn't really get the kind of player he is.
Extreme Allah

Postby Dazza » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:31 pm

He's a real enigma. Can be so so frustrating I saw the Clipps game and he must have lost the ball like 4 or 5 times just barrelling into the paint at full speed with no regard for anything and he'll often just take these wtf jumpers from well outside the line with 15 seconds left on the clock. But it's that same confidence and craziness that makes him so great on the nights where it works.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Most idiotic shot-selector of all time: '80s Jordan.

Second: Kobe.

I love watching someone who thinks that there is more value in their double-teamed 25footer than in finding a teammate. Especially when they might be right.
Extreme Allah

Postby Dazza » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:59 pm

Now that was awesome. And for once I was watching the game.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:37 am

Yeah, kid's such a stud.

That was a nice little pass at 0:11ish, also.
Extreme Allah

Postby Extreme Allah » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:27 pm

You know who needs to be fired, and no one is talking about it? Scotty Brooks.

You know who needs to be fired, and no one is talking about it? Mark Jackson.

Making the playoffs doesn't make you competent, even in the WC.

Also, has Harden gotten even worse at defense, or am I just now starting to get basketball enough to see how bad he is at it?

Also, has Love gotten even worse at defense, or am I just now starting to get basketball enough to see how bad he is at it?
Extreme Allah

Postby Dazza » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:50 pm

Yeah, think Scotty has taken the team as far as he can. He's a good choice for a young team but the Thunder are beyond that now.

Jackson, I dunno, GSW were so shit before he took over. Feels like he's almost a victim of his own success.

Harden was better defensively for OKC. Better team ethic I guess plus he wasn't as gassed as he didn't have as much to do on the offense.

Love, pretty much I think.

How you feeling about Dwight? Better than last year for sure but certainly nowhere near the old Dwight levels. Still don't think he has a winners mentality. We'll see in a few days.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:31 pm

Dazza wrote:How you feeling about Dwight? Better than last year for sure but certainly nowhere near the old Dwight levels. Still don't think he has a winners mentality. We'll see in a few days.

Yeah, it's not 2009 again, and things are expected to start out slow when you've haven't had a quality center since Yao, but his floor is so high that even when he is just standing there, he changes the complexion of the game. He has had great stretches, and I think they are a year and a piece away from being a serious contender, with or without Dwight playing at his career peak.

Even as they are, they are a scary team to pull in the playoffs. They aren't anyone's favorite yet, but they are built to make a series a nightmare. Even their biggest mistake (Lin and Harden as a back court is going to let a lot of teams pour down a lot of points) is a guy who had demonstrated a continued knack for going off for big numbers. And the nights he doesn't, someone has to deal with Beverly.

I don't tend to put a lot of value on role players less than 3 meters tall, but in a series he is going to cause some huge issues. It's a shame Parker is so chill, because if we were lucky enough to get him guarding Paul or RWB for 5 or 6 emotional games in a row, he'd get somebody thrown out. (But if Lilard keeps playing like he does on D, Lin could get really hot and look really good. Unlucky seeding for Beverly.)

The offensive is getting less dumb. I think McHale is above average.

Re: winner's mentality: you know who else didn't have a winner's mentality? Shaq. Historically, when you are a 7-foot ox with superior athleticism (and underrated touch), you can get away with a lot of stuff. Is Howard a guy who lives at the gym like Kobe or wants the last shot? Is he a guy always knows what the context of the play and how to wring all the possible equity out of it? Probably none of the above. That's not his value. But he is going to cause huge matchup problems, open things up for shooters, play D, rebound like a machine, and provide elite efficiency scoring in the paint (3rd in the league this year).

People want a "winner" who takes control at the end of a game. Dwight doesn't really do that. Instead he is just going to play great D, draw attention that makes things easier on your scorers, earn you more possessions than probably anyone else on the court on a given night, and provide more points (20 a night) with his looks than anyone else on the court on a given night. When you build your team around that, it's a huge advantage, and teams that have had it have historically been a huge problem to deal with, winner or not.
Extreme Allah

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic