Video Games....

Anything Goes

Re: Video Games....

Postby Dazza » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:04 pm

Is that what he's getting at? You don't like something that's popular and you're a hipster? Lol, that word is thrown around so often now it can be used to criticize anything.

If it helps Nattie feel better, before Skyrim I caught up with another beloved game - Super Meat Boy. It's a game probably beloved by those wretched hipsters and while it's cute and nicely done, it's just not my kinda thing. I find those types of super skilled games where you die and die and die and die and die and die and eventually get it right (this is aleviated somewhat by the fantastic idea to have you immediately respawn at death so there at least isn't a wait before you can try again) really frustrating after awhile.

If anything my issue with Skyrim is that it's not polished enough. It may have sold a shit load but the technical merits feel like that from an indie studio or something.

I just googled for a Skyrim conversation. Don't know if it's important or not but this is the one I clicked on.

Bland boring crap. I was having an okay time with the game just running around killing animals and exploring. As soon as I hit a town and had to talk to people, it didn't take long before I was just dying of boredom and calculating in my head how many hours of crappy conversations I'd have to wade through to get anywhere in the game.

Here's a nothing conversation from Witcher.

No big deal but compared to Skyrim it's so much more alive. The world, the characters, the fighting, how cinematic it is. Granted, when your world is so much smaller than Skyrim and it's more structured, well it makes it easier to spend more time polishing everything. But as a player I don't really care about the logistics, I just want to be able to have fun and be immersed in a game world. Obviously many people could do that with Skyrim, but I am really struggling.

Say what you want about Mass Effect 3, but that game at least felt like a triple A title from top to bottom.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Dazza » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:11 pm

The tutorial was the most difficult and frustrating aspect. At that point I was thinking it was the hardest game I've ever played and was close to giving up, but once you work out how to fight (are you struggling in that courtyard type place?) it's much easier. Standing still and just slashing will get you iced pretty quick.

In the end I googled this and it helped me work out how combat is supposed to go. Once you stop laughing at the dudes accent.

Combat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LA_UxyW9L0

Signs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm1ToFxaWsg

It's quite strange because tutorials are normally so easy you can sleepwalk through them but this was actually more challenging than most of the game. I thought they might have fine tuned it with the new edition.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Dazza » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:59 am

But he sings merry tunes to cheer you up!
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Praetorian » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:14 am

I'm currently playing Fifa 12. Amazing game.
Praetorian

Postby robot » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:17 am

Playing Mass Effect 2 finally, why did I wait so long? I love it.
robot

Postby quick_wit » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:42 pm

am poor so I don't have any video game console but thinking of getting a PSP when I have the cash, good or bad decision?
quick_wit

Postby robot » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:59 pm

Finished Mass Effect 3.

It's nice to be done with the series, but I didn't really like any of the endings (and this is with the extended cut).
robot

Postby MrsKiraSayers » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Assassin's creed 8) 8) everyone
Max Payne 3
GTA
L.A. NOIRE
THOR :shock: :shock:
and MANY, and MANY OTHERS! 8) 8) 8)
Oh, look at my dick!
MrsKiraSayers

Postby Dazza » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:16 pm

I haven't played anything for a couple months now, but am really buzzed about XCOM. That was my teenage jam. Arguably one of the best games I've ever played.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Dazza » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:50 pm

FTL is crack. This little game is so awesome. You have a spaceship, which you view top down, and you buzz around the galaxy improving your ship and blasting the bad guys. The key is ship management. They knocked out your engine, send the crew man on shields to race over and fix it. The Oxygen tanks are on fire? Open up the doors and suck them out into space. You've been boarded? Send everyone after him and then head to the medical bay.

Dazza
Site Admin

Postby JenR » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:49 pm

anyone hear any news about BioShock Infinite?
JenR

Postby Dazza » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:08 am

Apparently they're having some problems with the development. The demo they showed off wowed people but industry people are finding it strange that they haven't shown off anything playable yet.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Dazza » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:45 pm

My god FTL is good. Best game I've played all year. It sure can humble you though.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Dazza » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:21 am

They had an issue 2 weekends ago where a $20 voucher for completing a survey was completely open for multiple uses by anyone. Once it spread to Reddit people were just "buying" shit like crazy.

Been playing XCOM. It is awesome.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby robot » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:41 pm

Next Skyrim DLC trailer

Some familiar scenery for Morrowind fans...
robot

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic