R.I.P. Thread

Anything Goes

Postby Spoonbat » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:33 am

Allah: Fischer's father was a German scientist and his mother was a Jewish American. So he was Jewish by the Orthodox definition: his mother was Jewish so he was as well.

I think he had a falling out with his mother and then it only got more nasty. That's why I said of "the self-hating variety."

Or at least that's what I have read.

As for Ledger's movies, frankly, I never was that big of a fan.

We're in agreement that both Casanova and First Knight were terrible. I also didn't care for Brokeback Mountain at all. And not because of the subject matter either. I've seen gay movies that are really wrenching and I just found it lacking.

So sad though. When I found out at first he was playing the Joker I initially balked at the prospect. I recall even thinking about boycotting the film. But the films and the trailer look really good so I may go see it after all.

What I think is really sad is that his career may have just hit a good turn. With Batman I think he may have finally become what he had been trying to be all along: a real movie star.

I'm not going to kiss his ass though just because he died.

I loathed his movies when he was alive and I still loathe them now because they simply suck in my opinion. They may have been good for some people but not for me.

I never thought of him as a serious actor but as a heartthrob who got roles because he was a pin-up in teenage girls' bedrooms.

I liked him though because he seemed like an ordinary guy. And that's something that is truly rare in Hollywood these days. And that's why I'll miss him.

I feel really bad for his child and his fiance. I hope they are comforted in their loss.

R.I.P.
Spoonbat

Re: .............

Postby maverick88 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:53 am

Spoonbat wrote:Allah: Fischer's father was a German scientist and his mother was a Jewish American. So he was Jewish by the Orthodox definition: his mother was Jewish so he was as well.

I think he had a falling out with his mother and then it only got more nasty. That's why I said of "the self-hating variety."

Or at least that's what I have read.

As for Ledger's movies, frankly, I never was that big of a fan.

We're in agreement that both Casanova and First Knight were terrible. I also didn't care for Brokeback Mountain at all. And not because of the subject matter either. I've seen gay movies that are really wrenching and I just found it lacking.

So sad though. When I found out at first he was playing the Joker I initially balked at the prospect. I recall even thinking about boycotting the film. But the films and the trailer look really good so I may go see it after all.

What I think is really sad is that his career may have just hit a good turn. With Batman I think he may have finally become what he had been trying to be all along: a real movie star.

I'm not going to kiss his ass though just because he died.

I loathed his movies when he was alive and I still loathe them now because they simply suck in my opinion. They may have been good for some people but not for me.

I never thought of him as a serious actor but as a heartthrob who got roles because he was a pin-up in teenage girls' bedrooms.

I liked him though because he seemed like an ordinary guy. And that's something that is truly rare in Hollywood these days. And that's why I'll miss him.

I feel really bad for his child and his fiance. I hope they are comforted in their loss.

R.I.P.

That's ok, no one's going to force you to do something you don't want to do. :)
maverick88

Postby Spoonbat » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:26 am

lol, that's not it Maverick.

I like the guy. He seems average and nice. I just don't like his movies. Casanova was quite possibly one of the worst movies ever made and A Knight's Tale was so horribly overrated I can't put it in words.

"10 Things I Hate About You" had the terrible Julia Stiles in it.....I could go on. lol - And for the record, I do like Stiles, but she can't act.

His movies were terrible in my opinion but he was a good man who was trying to raise his daughter. So sad he leaves her alone.

I wish them well in their tragedy.
Spoonbat

Postby thevoid99 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:05 am

I kinda liked 10 Things I Hate About You.

Julia Stiles can't act to save her life and I hate that Andrew Keegan guy. I too, would like to break his nose. Yet, Heath and Joseph Gordon-Levitt made the film for me. It's a shame they will never work together again.

The Patriot was totally underrated. I loved that film. I also really, really liked A Knight's Tale. How can you not love that dance scene to David Bowie's "Golden Years" with Heath doing those disco arm moves? Plus, it had Paul Bettany and Wash from Firefly/Serenity.

I kinda liked Casanova. It's a fun film and he was great. He was the best thing in Lords of Dogtown. The Brothers Grimm was OK but he and Matt Damon were great together.

Brokeback Mountain and I'm Not There were his best work so far. Candy was also really good. Aside from The Dark Knight, he was also doing a film for Terry Gilliam, that now might be in limbo considering Gilliam's bad luck. He was also supposed to be in Terrence Malick's Tree of Life with Sean Penn. Now, it's likely he'll be replaced by Brad Pitt.

R.I.P. Heath... we will miss you.
"I wanna be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal from "Secretary"
thevoid99

Postby quick_wit » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:41 am

2008 is such a black hole of suckiness.

RIP Heath. I loved Knights tale and I actually liked Brokeback.
quick_wit

Postby JenR » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:58 am

i grew up with 10 Thing I Hate About You.

everyone i was in school with instantly thought he was their God. :roll:

going to his that hair, voice, hair, smile, hair of his.
JenR

Postby Pumpkin405 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:42 am

I heard it on the news this morning. I'm absolutely devastated. :( Heath was by far my favorite actor.
deviantART | Last.fm | MySpace

Everything you can imagine is real.
Pumpkin405

Postby JenR » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:48 am

wish he could had lived longer to see his own daughter grown instead of 2 years old.

I wonder how Jake G. feels. He's the godfather of her.
JenR

Postby quick_wit » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:00 am

You know what pisses me off? decent actors dying and not the "celebrities" that are paris and lindsay.
quick_wit

Postby Extreme Allah » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:50 am

quick_wit wrote:You know what pisses me off? decent actors dying and not the "celebrities" that are paris and lindsay.

Britney is on my Celebrity Death Team for '08. I picked her in the 1st round, which was probably not the best strategic move, since the maximum ago was 60, but I'm confident my team is the funniest.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby buttsie » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:56 am

Extreme Allah wrote:
quick_wit wrote:You know what pisses me off? decent actors dying and not the "celebrities" that are paris and lindsay.

Britney is on my Celebrity Death Team for '08. I picked her in the 1st round, which was probably not the best strategic move, since the maximum ago was 60, but I'm confident my team is the funniest.

You would have been on a winner picking Lindsay

Doing her community service in a morgue,I kid you not
buttsie

Postby Dazza » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:38 am

I'm so fucking bummed out about the Heath news. What a terrible loss.

Just saw this on WWTDD:

Motherfucking sons of bitches.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby quick_wit » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:42 am

Dazza wrote:I'm so fucking bummed out about the Heath news. What a terrible loss.

Just saw this on WWTDD:

Motherfucking sons of bitches.

WTF?! Don't they realize that they sound the same as the evil they spoke of by doing this and spreading hate?

Self righteous bitches.
quick_wit

Postby Jose Chung » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:03 am

How cursed is Terry Gilliam? Honestly!
One million monkeys were given a million typewriters. It's called the internet.
Jose Chung

Postby aurlis » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:10 am

Jose Chung wrote:How cursed is Terry Gilliam? Honestly!

monkey monkey, get it!
aurlis

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic