The Movie thread

Anything Goes

The Movie thread

Postby Dazza » Sat May 19, 2007 11:50 am

Reviews, discussion and thoughts about movies that don't have anything to do with Natalie.

Make sure you mark spoilers clearly.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Jaina » Sat May 19, 2007 4:05 pm

The last movie I saw was Lost in Translation (not the first time though). I simply love it. Sophia Coppola is beyond greatness (hehehe). And Scarlett... well, that's another story.
Vivre, on veut tous vivre
Sans se haïr, sans en mourir
Vivre et se parler, se respecter et même s'aimer...
Vivre...

"If I could dream at all, it would be about you. And I'm not ashamed of it." - Edward
Jaina

Postby Andrew » Sat May 19, 2007 4:06 pm

I don't have time to write a review for it but I finally got around to watching "The Prestige" and it was as good as advertised in my opinion. I'll be watching "The Illusionist" later.
Andrew

Postby Jaina » Sat May 19, 2007 4:09 pm

Andrew wrote:I don't have time to write a review for it but I finally got around to watching "The Prestige" and it was as good as advertised in my opinion. I'll be watching "The Illusionist" later.

I loved both movies. The Prestige was better in my opinion. Both had great performances too.
Vivre, on veut tous vivre
Sans se haïr, sans en mourir
Vivre et se parler, se respecter et même s'aimer...
Vivre...

"If I could dream at all, it would be about you. And I'm not ashamed of it." - Edward
Jaina

Postby Dazza » Sat May 19, 2007 4:21 pm

Prestige was fantastic. Much better than the Illusionist imo.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sat May 19, 2007 5:50 pm

Yeah, The Prestige was definately one of the best movies I've seen. I do like the cast in The Illusionist so hopefully it will be alright but almost everyone I've encountered likes The Prestige better.
Andrew

Postby Dazza » Sat May 19, 2007 5:51 pm

Venus - Don't judge a book by its cover, eh? Yes, its a movie about a very old man but its in no way boring. In fact, the first 45 minutes gave me more laughs than the average Hollywood comedy. O'Toole is fantastic in the role but everyone puts their best foot forward. The relationship of the film, between an old man and a young woman, could have been really creepy but for me at least, I thought it was original, moving and entirely believable.

8/10
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Dazza » Sun May 20, 2007 1:42 pm

Breach - Imagine the Farrel/Pacino film The Recruit. Now imagine if it had had fascinating real life characters, wonderful acting and an important story instead of ham fisted acting, twists and shoot outs. Breach really did impress the hell out of me. Some may consider it slow but if you don't need rapidfire editing and action scenes every few minutes then you might also delight at the mind games that Breach offers up.

8/10
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Evenezia » Sun May 20, 2007 2:29 pm

L'Auberge Espagnole (Spanish Apartment) A few years old but is fantastic. Incredibly funny with the mix of cultures. The sequel is equally as great.

8.5/10
Evenezia

Postby JenR » Sun May 20, 2007 2:37 pm

Haha, i rented Russian Dolls (sequel to Spanish Ap.) i never got to finish watching it.

It was nice to see Audrey T. as a Mother. :P

:edit:

"Whoooa" my boyfriend said.

You're new Joker.

That scared me. :?
JenR

Postby Dazza » Sun May 20, 2007 5:13 pm

I love love LOVE that image of the Joker. I hope The Dark Knight kicks my ass even more than BB.

Pursuit of Happyness - With a few tweaks this could have been a nice enough little movie. What killed it for me was how they pile the grief on Smith again and again and again. I mean, we already feel sympathetic for the guy but somewhere around the 10th time his merchadise gets stolen or when he gets hit by a car AND loses a shoe, thats when I wanted to start screaming at the TV.

A bit too overwrought and manipulative but your mom will love it.

6/10
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sun May 20, 2007 5:37 pm

Rented You, Me and Dupree, I like Owen Wlson so I said what the hell. Its just an average comedy though, there is enough in it to keep you entertained and Owen Wilson is funny but it serves its purpose if you need two hours to kill :)
6/10
Andrew

movies

Postby natAHlee » Sun May 20, 2007 6:52 pm

300 - amazing effects, really i feel this was a visual more than a storyline or character driven film

Matrix Reloaded - yes i am very very behind! it was ok i feel it dragged a bit maybe should have been left as a stand alone film

free zone - interesting film worth a watch just to see Nat in something different
natAHlee

Postby MeriLy » Sun May 20, 2007 7:27 pm

Is anyone planning on going to see "Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End"? I hope to, and was thinking, from the trailers, it looks like it could be the best in the series, saga, whatever.

I also saw Spiderman 3 recently and loved it. (The hair!!! :lol: ) I think it's the best of all the Spiderman movies, but thought they could have spent a little more time when Spidey fought Venom. (Anyone else notice that in the others it takes forever for Spidey to kill Oc and Goblin and Venom was so easy...?)
Colleges hate geniuses, just as convents hate saints.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson~
MeriLy

Postby Threat Level: Midnight » Sun May 20, 2007 8:34 pm

I'm definitely looking forward to the next Pirates. The second one was somewhat of a letdown, but I still enjoyed it.
"Last year, my performance review started with Michael asking me what my hopes and dreams were, and it ended with him telling me he could bench-press 190 pounds."
Threat Level: Midnight

Next

Return to Off-Topic