The Movie thread

Anything Goes

Re: The Movie thread

Postby JenR » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:55 am

I'm so excited Alicia Won!!!!!
JenR

Postby Dazza » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:03 pm

I saw Danish Girl the other day and thought she was good but didn't really grab me as a performance. Vikander reminds me so strongly of someone but I can't place who it is. Really annoying. It's like a word on the tip of my tongue kind of feeling.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Carlito Brigante » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:39 pm

I don't know. I wanted to watch the Oscars because of Chris Rock and found the whole thing very hard to watch. It was all visually depressing to me, like watching Oscar night directed by David Lynch, Blue Velvet edition. Why can't they choose livelier colors? Everything about it was secretly telling me to go to sleep. Mad Max won a bunch of stuff so that kept me going a little longer but I was hardly tuned in at all.

Another thing. For all this bullshit talk about equality in Hollywood, why can't they award a Best Actress Oscar after the Best Actor Oscar? Wouldn't it be great if they could just shake things up randomly? Have the Best Actress category before the Best Picture Oscar at least one fucking year? I mean how freaking hard is that?
Carlito Brigante

Postby Dazza » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:17 pm

They could definitely mix up the genders but Best Picture is the main award of the night, would be silly to put in anywhere else.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Carlito Brigante » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:59 pm

Yeah, Best Picture is definitely the top category, but this year there was all this female exploitation awareness going on it seems like a missed opportunity by not giving Best Actress the second to last spot there. I don't want to sound like an angry money grabbing Al Sharpton kind of hypocrite, but I've always found it strange that the actress category must always come just before the actors. I don't think I've ever seen it the other way around. It's always kind of rubbed me the wrong way.
Carlito Brigante

Postby thevoid99 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:53 pm

Carlito Brigante wrote:Yeah, Best Picture is definitely the top category, but this year there was all this female exploitation awareness going on it seems like a missed opportunity by not giving Best Actress the second to last spot there. I don't want to sound like an angry money grabbing Al Sharpton kind of hypocrite, but I've always found it strange that the actress category must always come just before the actors. I don't think I've ever seen it the other way around. It's always kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Al Sharpton is a racist piece of shit who is pretty much the black version of Donald Trump and that OscarsSoWhite bullshit is nothing more than just a racist propaganda created by a bunch of entitled, bourgeoisie, arrogant fuckheads who are just crying over the fact that their mediocre bullshit films and performance didn't get recognized. So essentially, fuck 'em.
"I wanna be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal from "Secretary"
thevoid99

Postby Dazza » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:52 am

Are you really saying there isn't a diversity problem?
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Carlito Brigante » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:46 pm

The real problem is a communication breakdown problem. People like All Sharpton couldn't give a crap about racial diversity. He's like the Jared Fogle of the civil rights movement. He's a fake. Pretty much a monster. The only diversity the guy cares about is the one with different dollar bills. Racial division has become a multi-billion dollar enterprise in America, and Al Sharpton is racking up all the profits like the complete piece of garbage that he is. Remember two years ago how Hollywood was the all inclusive industry when 12 Years of Slave won Best Picture and now all of a sudden they're a bunch of racists? That's Al Sharpton.

Is there an obsolete traditional hierarchy that creates diversity problems in Hollywood? Yeah, pretty much. They always say they want to shake things up, but the actress category always stays the same, right behind the actors category. It doesn't make much sense, and it's definitely annoying. Screw Leonardo Dicaprio and give Brea Olsen the spotlight. That's how things should be. I mean why the hell not?
Carlito Brigante

Postby Dazza » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Who the hell is Brea Olsen?
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Carlito Brigante » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:58 pm

Dazza wrote:Who the hell is Brea Olsen?

She's Charlie Sheen's ex girlfriend. I've been caught reading the details of the whole Charlie Sheen saga lately and also reading the Fuller House latest critical smashing so I had like three different actresses in my mind. Four if you count the other Olsen twin.That must be a first. :lol:
Carlito Brigante

Postby quick_wit » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:03 pm

Leo got his token award, finally the internet can shut up about it.

Edit: Also, I've written a bunch of movie reviews since I left that'd be tedious to enumerate here, so if you have the time, please head over to my blog. I'm planning to go legit on this one next month and get a domain and all that jazz. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Anyone seen Jane Got a Gun? I missed it in my local theaters. Will review it once I get around to watching it.
quick_wit

Postby Dazza » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:33 pm

The Big Short - This was...strange. The movie is entertaining and the topic is important and the actors seemed to be having a lot of fun chewing the scenery. What I wasn't expecting was the direction. Holy hell, he throws every directing trick in the book at the screen, but that wasn't even the weird part, what was bizarre was how it wasn't slick or polished at all. In fact, a lot of it felt downright amateurish. I used to be a video editor and it really looked like some of my work when I was just trying shit out to get the hang of it. Thankfully most of the worst work is in the first act but even later there are moments like this cross cutting scene that is just...I'm just at a loss, it is so awful.

Can't remember the last time I was this confounded but aside from that, it's a good story.

7/10

Suffragette - Nicely done. Very safe. Mulligan was aces as usual. Streep was...not, but she's only in the film for a couple minutes. It's one of those films that probably plays it a bit too safe. A good watch but it doesn't really resonate as much as the subject matter should.

7/10

Winter on Fire - Oscar nominated documentary about the recent Ukrainian uprising. Some stunning and shocking footage. Really didn't know the half of what was going down there. Such courage and really had a lump in my throat by the end.

8/10
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby quick_wit » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:24 am

Deadpool - 7/10
A generic origins story padded with meta jokes, still fun nonetheless.

Zootopia - 7/10
Just when you think that it's just another typical detective movie about the two most unlikely pair in the animal kingdom, it tackles prejudice through specie-ism. Smart and engaging.

The Forest - 3/10
Tasteless, generic and insensitive. It does have an interesting idea but the makers of this movie prefer to sensationalize an infamous place rather than make a horror story that doesn't use mental illness and suicide as plot devices. Natalie Dormer deserved better.

Zoolander 2 - 2/10
A sequel that doesn't need to be made but here it is. If you still find Zoolander's stupidity entertaining, then this movie is for you. Otherwise, its your typical cash grab filled with second hand embarrassment inducing cameos.

Sword of Destiny - 2/10
Let's just keep in mind that this sequel never existed and just remember the classic.

Kung Fu Panda 3 - 5/10
It has some nice visuals and fight scenes, but other than that its just another retread of the original, just with more pandas.
quick_wit

Postby quick_wit » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:31 am

Dazza wrote:The Big Short - This was...strange. The movie is entertaining and the topic is important and the actors seemed to be having a lot of fun chewing the scenery. What I wasn't expecting was the direction. Holy hell, he throws every directing trick in the book at the screen, but that wasn't even the weird part, what was bizarre was how it wasn't slick or polished at all. In fact, a lot of it felt downright amateurish. I used to be a video editor and it really looked like some of my work when I was just trying shit out to get the hang of it. Thankfully most of the worst work is in the first act but even later there are moments like this cross cutting scene that is just...I'm just at a loss, it is so awful.

Can't remember the last time I was this confounded but aside from that, it's a good story.

7/10

For some reason the director tries to shoot scenes as if it were an action movie, even when they're just completely still.
quick_wit

Postby JenR » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:28 pm

My ex really liked that movie and was appalled at what was going on in the story. I never watched it and never planned to.
JenR

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic