The Movie thread

Anything Goes

Re: The Movie thread

Postby quick_wit » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:35 pm

What did we think of Blade Runner 2049?

Yes the visual compositions are great. There are plenty of wallpaper, header, desktop screensaver worthy movie stills here. The combination of symmetrical, desolate, and depraved places were great. The acting was great too. It also managed to pay homage to the original, continue its themes, and move the franchise forward - this is a huge accomplishment for a sequel considering what we've been given by Hollywood.

What I didn't like is that all of this is too polished and calculated.

Lots of cinematic posturing and devoid of the ambiguous, vague lived-in neo-noir that made the original - and I believe an integral part of the franchise - great. The movie lingers too much on every frame to turn it into some pretty composition. The story isn't as deep as it thinks it is too. It's flat and sorely needs an antagonist to shake things up. Jared Leto is minimal here, but I wished they had a better villain than some blind gazillionare saying pseudo intellectual gibberish that echoed throughout the room. The future is still white and POC continues to be a thematic memory.

Overall a flawed overlong but still visual spectacle.

Full review here
quick_wit

Postby JenR » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:02 pm

I haven’t watched movies in a long time, but I finally was able to watch IT.

I like the film even though it was cliché. I haven’t watched the original since I was a kid so I don’t remember much when it comes to comparing the characters, storylines, etc. The movie didn’t terrify me but I kind of feel it wasn’t trying to scare adults. I feel this was a horror film for the kids, and if so that’s really cool. Totally creepy film either way.
JenR

Postby quick_wit » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:37 am

Ocean's 8 is another proof of one of the problems with Hollywood when it comes to female-led movies - they hold on to the myth that they don't make money yet don't bother to give them good material when they do.

The cast was great, but the script and film direction of the movie felt like it was from disinterested hired hands. They stick it to the original formula yet don't bother to freshen it up, then they made a cheap version - the girls have to do with 20 grand, one 3D printer, and a food truck. There are no stakes at all.

5/10 link in bio.
quick_wit

Postby Munty » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:10 am

a few days ago I watched Stranger Than Fiction (2006) it's a great movie with unusual story
Munty

Previous

Return to Off-Topic