The Movie thread

Anything Goes

Re: The Movie thread

Postby Dazza » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:46 pm

Hunger Games - Catching Fire 2 - Don't hate this franchise but also don't love it. The final film falls into the same mixed category for me. They kind of breeze past the most interesting stuff right at the end. Feels like a lot of opportunities missed. Nice action scene against these alien critters though.

6/10

Anomalisa - Very interesting. Very admirable. Perhaps mu expectations, being a huge Kaufmann fan, were too high. Even with the puppet conceit it is probably his most conventional film. Very honest though and the sex scene is remarkable.

7/10

Dheepan - Jacques Audiard is now cemented as one of my favourite directors. Powerful look at immigration and identity with a smidge of Death Wish thrown in for good measure.

8/10

Carol - I feel like I wasn't quite on the film's wavelength until the very end, which kind of knocked me out. It's possible that this is will grow massively in my estimation if I was to watch it a second time. Mara and Blanchett are fantastic.

7/10
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby JenR » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:59 pm

I can't lie, the reason why I want to see Anonalisa is for the sex scene, but that how I am with everything. :roll:
JenR

Postby quick_wit » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:16 pm

Anomalisa's sex scene is realistic. I was blown (pun intended) away by the fact that these were puppets.

Holy shit Batman V Superman was fucking awful. I should have watched the epic 8 hour local movie instead of this mess. Worse, some fans are extra salty about criticisms towards it. I was skeptical about Batfleck but he was decent. Gadot as Wonder Woman looked great in motion. Henry Cavill is bland (his PR people had to turn him into a douchey Brit so he could have a personality lol).

It would be a delicious fuck you to the Marvel Cinematic Universe if Wonder Woman is amazing. Warner Bros. better not fuck it up.
quick_wit

Postby JenR » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:29 pm

I won't take my nephews to see that film haha, but I will take them all to see The Jungle Book. I just love Lupita's voice. She'll be an actress who will make me cry if I hear her voice quiver. i just hope the film is strong and a great adventure.

I'd like to see a Wonder Woman movie... and not Black Widow.
JenR

Postby luol » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:22 pm

I also go to see batman and superman movie. Some movies unintentionally insult audiences. Batman and superman different. They take sadistic pleasure spitting audience at every opportunity.

10 cloverfield much better. John Goodman doing best acting of career.
luol

Postby Belerofonte » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:29 am

This is the most bizarre trailer (and movie) I've seen in years:

This has to be seen :lol:
Belerofonte

Postby Dazza » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:08 pm

Search for DANIELS. Their short films and music videos are all crazy and visually inventive.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby JenR » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:18 pm

It's like the movie was a huge acid trip haha. I'll have to check that out in love surreal (as I call them) films, alright I've never seen a comedy. This makes me wish David lynch would make more films.
JenR

Postby thevoid99 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:20 pm

Belerofonte wrote:This is the most bizarre trailer (and movie) I've seen in years:

This has to be seen :lol:

I definitely want to fucking see this.
"I wanna be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal from "Secretary"
thevoid99

Postby JenR » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:40 pm

Dazza wrote:Suffragette - Nicely done. Very safe. Mulligan was aces as usual. Streep was...not, but she's only in the film for a couple minutes. It's one of those films that probably plays it a bit too safe. A good watch but it doesn't really resonate as much as the subject matter should.

damn, i had a feeling the film was going to be like that. I'll still check it out.
JenR

Postby Dazza » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:53 pm

Finally, my fav films of 2015...

15 - A Hard Day

Darkly funny in a way that only the Koreans can pull off.

14 - Mission Impossible: Rouge Nation

Tom Cruise is relentless in his pursuit to entertain us.

13 - Dheepan

Powerful immigrant tale from one of my fav directors.

12 - Star Wars

I am awakened.

11 - Sicario

A tense ride.

10 - A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night

Striking and original.

9 - The Martian

Pure entertainment.

8 - Respire/Breathe

Stunning look at female friendships. Not a woman but this felt incredibly authentic.

7 - Mustang

Even better than the Virgin Suicides.

6 - Diary of a Teenage Girl

An exciting new female filmmaker is born.

5 - Beasts of No Nation

Really powerful.

4 - The Revenant

A sensory experience.

3 - Ex Machina

God, I love smart sci-fi.

2 - Wild Tales

The problem with the short film format is there are some shorts that I LOVE but others that are only okay. If it was just based on the last short, set at the wedding, it would be number one.

1 - Mad Max Fury Road

I wanted to watch it a second time at home to see if it holds up. It does. One of the best action films ever made.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby quick_wit » Sat May 14, 2016 6:38 am

Jane got a Gun 4/10
Not only did the movie forgot to make a decent story, it also missed the point of being a female led film. The story is cliched, the backdrop is generic, and Jane is one dimensional plot device for the other male characters to shine. The acting is good; the cinematography is decent; production design is modest yet enough, but the movie never goes beyond average.

The Lobster 9/10
An original and brilliantly executed satire about society's obsession with relationships. Collin Farrell is a good character actor when Hollywood is not trying to peg him as a matinee idol. He's been awesome in low key projects since In Bruges.

Captain America: Civil War 8/10
Balances thought provoking themes with good old fashioned mano-a-mano action. Enjoyed it a lot. Who would have thought that straight laced Captain America would be the most compelling cog in the Marvel machinery.

Mr. Right 2/10
A rip off of Grosse Point Blank while trying to be some indie screwball Pulp Fiction and messes it up completely. It's three bad movies in one. Sam Rockwell deserves better than this.

The Invitation 7.5/10
A conventional but deftly executed thriller about the dangers of delusional thinking underneath New Age cures. You know where it's headed, but its still great ride towards a powder keg of a pay-off.
quick_wit

Postby quick_wit » Mon May 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Mustang melted my cold cynical heart. Also, any of you guys in Twitter?
quick_wit

Postby Dazza » Mon May 16, 2016 4:06 pm

Deadpool - Much better than I expected based on the trailer. The quipping can be a bit annoying the the X-men are ridiculous but it was otherwise quite fun.

7/10

The Lobster - Absurdly brilliant. Had me from the first minute to the last.

9/10

Where Should We Invade Next - A good point made with some human and emotion.

8/10

The Invitation - A slow burn to nowhere. Whatever promise there was is ruined by a terrible script, shoddy characters and awful acting.

5/10
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Dazza » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:08 pm

Captain America: Civil War - The superhero thing is really tiring at this point but every now and then they really nail it. Cap does that for sure. The sheer amount of superheros and silliness on display shouldn't work but they actually pull it off. Sure, you need to not think too hard about it (the lack of a counter argument to the allegations against the Avengers is really disappointing) but on pure spectacle it delivers big time.

8/10

Magic Mike XXL - A hilarious molly/dance scene aside, this didn't feel nearly as fun as they seemed to think it was.

5/10

The Witch - Love a good horror film but they are few and far between. So this was very welcome. It felt incredibly authentic with a great tone of dread. The two young actors are incredible.

8/10

Macbeth - Beautiful to look at. Dark and strange but, as is typical with myself and Shakespeare, a little hard to fully engage with.

7/10

Triple Nine - Such a great cast. Was in the mood for a rare adult crime flick but the little details that help tie everything together just weren't there for me. And Kate Winslet...w...t...f...

Really could have been something special.

7/10

Band of Robbers - Light and fun. The robbery scene in particular was comedy gold. Sort of an early Wes Anderson vibe to it.

7/10

The Finest Hours - Yeah, okay.

6/10

10 Cloverfield Lane - Nice setup but didn't work for me like I had hoped it would.

6/10

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi - Needed to pull back on the "cool" soldier cliches and one liners to really have the impact they seemed to want. But the action was well done and pretty involving. Thing is waaay too long though.

6/10

Zoolander 2 - Damn, really loved the first one.

5/10
Dazza
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic