Who's your new celebrity crush?

Anything Goes

Re: Who's your new celebrity crush?

Postby Dazza » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:32 pm

Thanks, hadn't seen that before. She's painfully gorgeous. But the girl needs a guitar in her hands.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:23 pm

Dazza wrote:Thanks, hadn't seen that before. She's painfully gorgeous. But the girl needs a guitar in her hands.

I normally agree, but her vocal on that track just destroys me. I fall in love every time.

Speaking of guitars, she and Beck both love those 60s Silvertones...I used to have one (stolen from my storage unit), and they sound cool and jangly...but what a nightmare to get setup comfortably. I'm going to make the assumption that they both just don't care and play with like 3/4" high clearance.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby Dazza » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:12 pm

Extreme Allah wrote:
Dazza wrote:Thanks, hadn't seen that before. She's painfully gorgeous. But the girl needs a guitar in her hands.

I normally agree, but her vocal on that track just destroys me. I fall in love every time.

Speaking of love...

Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:25 am

She really has a stupidly pretty face.
Extreme Allah

Postby quick_wit » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:17 am

whatever happened to Josh Hartnett? he's physically my type of guy. He was supposedly the IT boy back then and disappeared from the radar.
quick_wit

Postby Dazza » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:13 pm

Never liked that guy. A lack of talent dragged him to straight to DVD land.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:25 pm

Yeah, 10 years of bombs is probably not great for your career, especially when you have no charisma to start with.

I have no more problem with him than any other actor, but I remember when they were trying to make him a star, I could hear the cogs of the machine turning, trying to force the issue...like when they tried to make Jimmy Fallon a star. The first time, not the time that sort of ended up working.
Extreme Allah

Postby thevoid99 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:20 pm

Extreme Allah wrote:Yeah, 10 years of bombs is probably not great for your career, especially when you have no charisma to start with.

I have no more problem with him than any other actor, but I remember when they were trying to make him a star, I could hear the cogs of the machine turning, trying to force the issue...like when they tried to make Jimmy Fallon a star. The first time, not the time that sort of ended up working.

It's a lesson that Hollywood has always never learned. You can't movie stars overnight.

How long did it take Christian Bale to become a movie star? More than 10 years. He had to do all sorts of indie films and art house stuff plus a few mainstream stuff before finally getting the role of Batman. After that, he's a superstar.

Hollywood will never learn because they always pick the wrong people or use the right people in the wrong way. You can't make them into stars. It takes a lot more work to do that. After all, why do you Abduction bombed? It's because Hollywood wants to make Taylor Lautner into an action star.

Who goes to see action movies? Guy. Guys don't like Taylor Lautner and they won't buy him as an action star since he has no range.
"I wanna be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal from "Secretary"
thevoid99

Postby Extreme Allah » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:15 pm

To be fair, Christian Bale is a different sort of thing. Sometimes I'll wonder how he got so much acting cred, and start to feel like he inexplicably had this virtuoso crown given to him just because he has the attitude and insanity that comes with genius. But then I'll watch the Machinist and just get more confused that the man who played that role also played the racist in Shaft and made that wretched Terminator thing.

I don't think Christian Bale is so much an example of "the right way to build a career" so much as he is an insane person who has talent and accidentally made those Batman movies that got way more credit from both camps than they deserved from either, and won the Bankable Star lottery.

I don't think it's fair to really say much about value of the practices of Hollywood's star-prospecting philosophy without understanding the larger numbers of how much they lose on a Taylor Lautner, how much they make on equivalent short-term successes, the adjusted opportunity costs neglecting longer-term development, etc. But I expect those people are a lot better at making money than I am, and are certainly not starry-eyed naives...if they are making a mistake there, I would bet it would air more to the side of cynicism, and an underestimation of the actual value and existence of "charisma." I am a pretty awful and cynical person, but even I admit that very rarely is there a Hollywood actor of that sort of level who doesn't have some kind of charisma beyond the importance of whatever people call "acting skill" or their assumption that it's all just a shallow beauty contest, which is not common amongst us mortals.

I can't speak to the overall system, but when a Josh Hartnett fails, I think it's mostly because he is not "likable." I don't know if they made money off of him or not, but I'm sure there are people they do make money off of right away.
Extreme Allah

Postby TwigV2 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:18 am

A lot more films are produced these days than there used to be, and generally there aren't enough stars to fill them. So a lot of unproven commodities are given starring roles in big films before they have anything to really show they COULD be a star. Lautner's the #3 lead in a bunch of hit films that would've been hit films no matter who starred in them. And that's just one example of many.
"And the Oscar goes to...Natalie Portman"
TwigV2

Postby Carlito Brigante » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:46 pm

Extreme Allah wrote:To be fair, Christian Bale is a different sort of thing. Sometimes I'll wonder how he got so much acting cred, and start to feel like he inexplicably had this virtuoso crown given to him just because he has the attitude and insanity that comes with genius. But then I'll watch the Machinist and just get more confused that the man who played that role also played the racist in Shaft and made that wretched Terminator thing.

I don't think Christian Bale is so much an example of "the right way to build a career" so much as he is an insane person who has talent and accidentally made those Batman movies that got way more credit from both camps than they deserved from either, and won the Bankable Star lottery.

I don't think it's fair to really say much about value of the practices of Hollywood's star-prospecting philosophy without understanding the larger numbers of how much they lose on a Taylor Lautner, how much they make on equivalent short-term successes, the adjusted opportunity costs neglecting longer-term development, etc. But I expect those people are a lot better at making money than I am, and are certainly not starry-eyed naives...if they are making a mistake there, I would bet it would air more to the side of cynicism, and an underestimation of the actual value and existence of "charisma." I am a pretty awful and cynical person, but even I admit that very rarely is there a Hollywood actor of that sort of level who doesn't have some kind of charisma beyond the importance of whatever people call "acting skill" or their assumption that it's all just a shallow beauty contest, which is not common amongst us mortals.

I can't speak to the overall system, but when a Josh Hartnett fails, I think it's mostly because he is not "likable." I don't know if they made money off of him or not, but I'm sure there are people they do make money off of right away.

Josh Harnett is usually considered the Charles Bronson of our era, which I think would be an excellent comparison if I didn't thought that Charles Bronson was a better actor. But the point is made. Josh Harnett is a respectable actor, but it's very unlikely he'll ever reach any higher than that. Frankly, I'd agree he's not even that good of an actor, but I wouldn't go so far as calling him a complete and utter failure.

The habit of going after non bankable actors to save money on big budget action movies is a practice that has been going on forever. Anybody remembers William Katt and Steve Guttenberg? That'll never change. The movies are crap, but the majority of them are usually modest hits at the box office. It's when the Liam Neeson ends up doing Battleship or Adrien Brody doing an idiotic Italian B movie that worries me. Do they actually think the movie could be a hit when they take the role? What's the mental processing there? Aside money?

Christian Bale has proven his acting skills once to many times starting with movies like American Psycho, Equilibrium and The Machinist. The guy may be a major asshole, but it's hard to question his dedication. When a Terminator sequel is considered to be a mere pet project for an actor, it really says a lot about where the guy stands. And finally there's The Fighter. This movie alone makes him an official inductee into the Hollywood acting elite. Of course, it never hurts a career when you make your acting debut in a Steven Spielberg movie.

Anyhow, my new celebrity crush is that chick from Adjustment Bureau.
Carlito Brigante

Postby thevoid99 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:29 pm

That's a load of bullshit. Hartnett is never in the level of Charles Bronson acting-wise nor in being the badass.

How many great movies Hartnett was in that wasn't The Virgin Suicides?

And the woman you're crushing on is Emily Blunt.
thevoid99

Postby Carlito Brigante » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:49 am

Cool, void, gimme Josh Harnett's career. I'll freaking take it. I'd have no trouble doing movies like Pearl Harbor and 40 Days of Night. I'm not the biggest fan of the guy, but there are far worst actors out there. I wouldn't downgrade him to Paris Hilton bad. He's just an average actor. Nothing more and nothing less.
Carlito Brigante

Postby thevoid99 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:48 am

Then don't fucking compare him to Charles Bronson or any other old-school actor.

I don't think Hartnett is that bad. I'd rather see him act rather than Channing Tatum, Taylor Lautner, Shia LaBeouf, or any young asshole they're trying to pimp out.

Right now, I'm crushing on Ryan Gosling. He's my new man-crush now.
thevoid99

Postby Dazza » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:06 am

Christ, Shia has more personality in his pinkie than Josh has in his entire body. Hell, I think even Tatum is probably more of a presence on screen. I'll give you Lautner though :D
Dazza
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic