The Holiday Thread

Anything Goes

Postby Extreme Allah » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:45 am

Dazza wrote:[Dazza's list]

I didn't even see this until just now, after my vacation inquiry. Interesting timing.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby buttsie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:24 am

subtle as a sledgehammer...its a style that suits you...lol
buttsie

Postby quick_wit » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:50 am

omgzrachel wrote:FUCK YOU, 2008! FUCK YOU!

BRING ON 2009!

HELL FUCKING YES!
quick_wit

Postby Carlotto » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:23 am

Bonne année everyone!
Carlotto

Postby greash » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:23 pm

Im scared of change..the prospect of another year scares me... :(
Some people will offer you their hand and some won't
Last night I knew you, tonight I don't
I need somethin' strong to distract my mind
I'm gonna look at you 'til my eyes go blind
greash

Postby Spoonbat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:32 am

2 of my coworkers lost family members over this holiday break.

Do any of you have bad experiences over the holidays? I know I lost 2 relatives a few years ago in December so it tends not to be a very good month for me.
Spoonbat

Postby Dazza » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:04 pm

If I don't do this now I never will.

Over new years I went away for 4 days. My best bud Roscoe was going with his gf Roxanne to stay with Roxanne's friend from her HS days - Kimara. Since we usually spend new years together I decided to join them (well, they did offer beforehand. I'm not THAT guy.) even though I was a bit worried that I might not get along with everyone - in a new years drinking revelry environment I tend to stick out like a sore thumb.

To counter the "why aren't you drinking more? whats wrong with you?!?!" type comments, I decided to tell everyone I was straight edge.

The place was like an hour outside Cape Town is is basically part of the winelands. Its a pretty quiet town with lots of wine estates and farms. Except for the summer (as in now) holidays I guess. Kimara and her mom have a cottage in this resort place, which is really quiet throughout the year but there are camping grounds and come the holidays all the afrikaaners from up country descend on the place (and CT in general) like the freaking plague.

The little cottage itself was nice although the cottages are very close together so there's not a hell of a lot of privacy and you DO have to deal with noisy neighbours. I forgot to take my dads pics off the camera so there was hardly any space and thus I have hardly any snaps of the place.

Thats where we spent most of the time. Just chilling. Playing darts. Playing music. Playing chess. Etc.

A view in the opposite direction. Absolutely useless photo really. That building on the left is where you had to go for showers in the morning. Sadly I couldn't find any glory holes.

Day 1 highlights

- Playing and losing chess to Roscoe. It's been awhile since I played and boy was I rusty. I ended up with my king on his own half way up the board and still managed to stave off defeat for a really long time. Roscoe goes 1 up.

- Played a drinking game that Roxy had bought, which was insane. I mean, even reading the rules in a sober state had me confused and, unless we were playing it wrong, you basically have to take a shot every 10 seconds. Cos you can create these nuts rules like "you can't use the letter "c" in any sentences, otherwise you have to take a shot"...I mean come on! Thankfully I had explained why I'm a pussy when it comes to drinking and everyone was cool with that so I just took sips of my beer, which is more my speed.

- Met the mom, who is REALLY nice. Really honest, open and just a good person. I tend to connect better with old people or very young people. Never people my own age. WTF.

- Kimara's two other friends arrived, and they also brought two friends of theirs. Liam was a cool guy with a sort of hippie don't give a fuck attitude but we never really hit it off. Erin was...I dunno really, didn't connect at all with her. No opinion. Henk seemed quite a decent guy but from a completely different world to my own. And his chick, Geraldine, well she was interesting. She wasn't traditionally pretty but cute in a kinda homely way. What I liked most was that she was really quiet and awkward that first night and anyone who is more awkward than me is gonna get my respect/sympathy.

- Because the cottage is pretty small I slept on the floor of Kimara's room with Roxy and Roscoe who had the bed. Sleeping on the floor - no big deal. Trying to sleep while Roscoe snores anthems of fury - BIG DEAL. I basically got just a few hours sleep every night till the last.

- At least I had Jude Law looking down on me. His photo, from a visit to the stables where Kimara works, was up on her wall.

Day 2 highlights

- This was a pretty chilled day. I was tired from the lack of sleep and others wanted to conserve energy as that night was new years eve.

- Played Roscoe at darts. Despite being outplayed I somehow managed to win. 1-1.

- Sometime during the day I actually had something of a conversation with Geraldine and realized that her strange English wasn't just on account of being Afrikaans but because she was also...errr...retarded? Like, clearly sub 100 IQ. Like you're talking to an 8 year old with a speech impediment.

- At a certain point, her bf Henk, Liam and Erin wanted to go to the river but the rest of us where staying put. Also staying was Geraldine, who took it upon herself to teach me a new game of darts, which was almost exactly like the game I played Roscoe but when G making up the rules as she went along. It was a bizarre period of time as this girl talked down to me after every throw to once again slowly explain the rules. She wasn't all that good at darts but assured me that when she plays with 3 darts (we only had 2) she was MUCH better. She made similar claims about drumming and other things. "Ok, I've got zero rhythm with this bongo drum but you should see me at home with a drum kit".

- Despite Roscoe being quite impressed with her body in a bikini, he saw my silent cries for help and when G went inside to have a looong talk with Kimara's mom, the 4 of us decided to go for a ride to Kimara's stables.

- Upon return, G was NOT happy. It was now quite late in the evening and the others weren't back. G had tried to find them but they weren't at the river so now she started cursing Henk out about how bad a boyfriend he is and who just leaves his girl like that etc etc. The poor girl, despite being completely misguided, really did feel hurt.

- Hurt shifted into this weird "screw them, YOU GUYS are now my best friends". Even worse, suddenly I was her "date" for the new years thing. I don't have many standards but I think sleeping with an emotionally distraught and retarded girl behind her bfs back would be a bridge too far.

- Thankfully they returned just as we were getting ready to leave. Henk dragged G off to talk and was able to convince her that it was all one big mistake. Order restored, off we went...where you might ask? Well its called a langarm sokkie. Its like a country and western thing with line dances and all that jazz. The afrikaans love it but Roscoe and myself looked absolutely bemused as to why any non afrikaaner would want to subject themselves to an evening of awful music. Outiside there were hundreds if not thousands of people sitting around the olympic sized pool and little fires. Why couldn't we do that?

- Inside it was hellish. The music was so loud you couldn't even talk, which is fine if you're at a concert...not listening to Afrikaans songs and crappy remixes of 90's pop hits. There was also a big dance floor. I do not dance. I made this clear. Not clear enough apparently because G came to drag me to the dance floor and really fucking pulled her hardest to make it happen. I clung onto my chair for dear life...like a stubborn 4 year old would.

- That failure didn't deter her though and she hit the dance floor and my god, it was like the scene in Napoleon Dynamite when he finally dances. She was good and dare I say it, pretty freaking sexy. Yikes.

- As it turns out I didn't spend too much time in there because it was already late and then Henk needed to go back to the cottage to get more booze and asked me to come with him. He apologized for the G situation and I learned that they were engaged. I got back just in time to see this dance routine where everyone on the floor danced to these moves (with G leading the line of course)...it was really the most surreal moment of the trip.

- After that Roscoe suggested we go outside and we just sat on the bench by the pool, drinking and talking about the year and our lives. This happens every year and like always, Roscoe got quite depressed. As we were sitting there some guys started to cordon off the diving board area of the pool and set up fireworks. Excellent, front row seat!

- Roxy joined us for the fireworks but we were actually too fucking close. It was like being in the gulf war or something. My eyes were watering and it just wasn't as enjoyable as it woulda been 20 metres away.

- We drank and chatted some more and then went back to the cottage to get some food, only to find out that Kimara's one year old dog had run away when the fireworks went off. Kimara was distraught but keeping it together. The mom felt guilty and sore as she had slipped and fallen while running to stop the dog getting out.

- Roscoe and I set off on the first of three pretty long searches around the place to try and find her. We thought we had at one point but it was another small dog that had also run away from the noise. When we brought it back a friend of Kimara's knew who the owners were so at least we helped that one pup get back home. At about 3-4 am we called it quits and went to bed. The others had returned and being kinda drunk were not really able to switch into "poor dog, poor Kimara mode", which rubbed those of us who were concerned the wrong way. Roscoe was especially looking for a fight. So we all went to bed pretty fucked off.

- Thankfully, being awake cos of Roscoe's snoring, I heard the dog come back barking at about 5 am and Kimara racing out to get her. At least the new year had started well.

Day 3 highlights

- The other 4 peeps left. Was nice to just be back to the 4 of us.

- At this point I think its fair to mention that there was plenty of eye candy up there. Afrikaans girls, for all their faults, are often frighteningly beautiful. Most of the really successful SA models will come from up country. So we thought it a good idea to check out the bikini competition. There were different age groups but we only really caught the 16-22 group. Where the hell was my digi camera during this? I am utterly useless. I did tried and take some pics and a vid with my cell phone but it came out terribly. A real shame cos most of the 8 girls were WOW. I also picked the winner so yay me.

- Played Roscoe at darts again. Lost. 2-1 Roscoe.

- Played Roscoe at chess again. Pulled off possibly the best move I've ever done in chess. He was putting all the pressure down on my end of the board and I spotted an opportunity for a check mate for me in just 2 moves. But I needed to keep his attention away from it so I basically let him tear my one flank to pieces, which eventually gave me a chance to move my queen "defensively"...only, one move later he saw that it was actually an offensive move and it was all over. Perfect sucker punch. So proud of myself. 2-2

- That night was easily the best night there. The other 3 smoked some weed (can't handle smoke) and then we went down to the pool/grass/river area at night. Tons of people must have left that afternoon because it was nice and quiet with just a few small groups littered around. We set up a fire, drank wine and talked shit. Later Roscoe pulled out his guitar and we had marshmallows. There were these gorgeous lights up, which I tried to photograph but it came out shit. Just the perfect summers night.

- In talking something that became cemented in my mind, that being that Kimara is a really great girl. Very mature for her age but still able to have a good laugh. During the weekend her mom recounted some stories about her that really revealed an incredible character. Would happily hang out with her again and get to know her even more.

- That night, with the other 4 gone, I was able to sleep on the blow up bed in the lounge. Still woke up early but compared to the other nights I felt well rested.

Day 4 highlights

- We said our goodbyes to the mom, who says we're welcome back any time. She really took a liking to us, as much as she disliked the other 4.

- On our way back we stopped at Butterfly World and, as the name of the tin states, there was just assloads of amazingly looking butterflies from all over the world. The conditions inside are made to be that of a South American climate so it was really warm and sticky. I definitely couldn't hack it in the Columbian jungle.

- They also had badass spiders and parrots and best of all, little monkey fuckers! God, they kick so much ass. Roscoe introduced one to Coke and it wouldn't let go of the can. A nice microcosm of mans raping of nature.

[img][img]http://www.natalieportman.com/dazza/ny11.jpg[/img]

I think that about covers it. I'm really glad I went, even though there were a few bumps in the road.

Bonus pics.

I wasn't sure I was going to be in the pic. Roxy CLEARLY didn't think she would. And Roscoe was still sleeping.

Some nipple twisting.

Kimara and Roxy.

My brief stint inside the hall on new years.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:50 am

Dazza wrote:Image

That thing is straight murder, dog. I want one.
Extreme Allah

Postby maverick88 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:28 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it and if you don't have a great day also.
"If it's Sunday, it's Meet The Press" - Tim Russert
maverick88

Postby Shantih » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:55 pm

My boss is being an arse and making me work New Years day. Her argument is that we all have family and everyone's got to miss a holiday, but I think it's hardly the same as her family live 10 mins away, whereas I haven't seen mine since August. This means I'm going home for a week for Christmas, then back to an empty flat.

Now, most of that doesn't actually bother me, my family drive me mad although I do miss my mum a bit, and I like the quiet when all my flatmates have buggered off, but the principle of it all irks me. And I'll probably only get to see my friends back there once.

That's probably a good thing too though, whenever I do see them I get horrendously drunk and someone always winds up with a black eye.
Shantih

Postby maverick88 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:28 pm

Shantih wrote:My boss is being an arse and making me work New Years day. Her argument is that we all have family and everyone's got to miss a holiday, but I think it's hardly the same as her family live 10 mins away, whereas I haven't seen mine since August. This means I'm going home for a week for Christmas, then back to an empty flat.

Now, most of that doesn't actually bother me, my family drive me mad although I do miss my mum a bit, and I like the quiet when all my flatmates have buggered off, but the principle of it all irks me. And I'll probably only get to see my friends back there once.

That's probably a good thing too though, whenever I do see them I get horrendously drunk and someone always winds up with a black eye.

Sorry to hear you'll have to work New Year's Day, this year I'll probably have it off but I have had to work plenty of past New Year's Days. It probably is a good thing then if it's a negative situation with your family. There's nothing wrong with a quiet New Year's if that's what you want.
"If it's Sunday, it's Meet The Press" - Tim Russert
maverick88

Re: The Holiday Thread

Postby robot » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!
robot

Postby robot » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:26 pm

Happy Thanksgiving for the Americans!
robot

Postby quick_wit » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:32 pm

I missed National Lasagna Day booo
quick_wit

Postby Extreme Allah » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:47 pm

quick_wit wrote:I missed National Lasagna Day booo

Is that in some way related to the Flying Spaghetti Monster?
Extreme Allah

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic