Politiks

Anything Goes

Postby Huc » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:23 am

Let me guess. Your friend was enlisted? Here's a small check with numbers. There were approximately 100k soldiers in Iraq. How much would it cost DoD to pay them 44k? 4.4 Billion. That's assuming that they only get paid at that rate. Special Forces get paid about twice that amount, and M1A1 costs about $4.3 million, and replacing broken ones, and maintenance is not cheap. Uparmored Humvees cost 150k if they are built from the ground. And they get attacked a lot too. So I'm not even going to calculate since I don't have exact data, but you can pretty much guess that the cost that DoD has is quite big.

As for your little rant about contractors, please note that most of those contractors earn about 90k - 130k, not 300k a year. Considering that they are the tip of the spear, such costs are not too far from what the DoD has decided to pay SOF forces. And believe it or not, those who make that much money are Americans. There are foreign nationals(Brits, Indonesians etc), but except for Brits, I don't recall that much presence in actual hazardous jobs. The 3rd world country workers get paid less than minimum wage, which is still better than what they were paid in their native country. So all the money that are made by contractors end up coming back home because most are Americans.

The companies using foreign company tax shelters is no different before the war, and while some of it is not taxable it is not correct to say that they are money spent on foreigners since the owners of those companies are Americans.

As for creating job, since when did domestic assistance create more jobs than what contractors are bringing? Contractors don't live frugal life, and they do spend money so it is placed back in to the economy. Welfare checks are no better at producing jobs than what you complain about.

Shoddy work can be found, but the work that contractors did is not exactly shoddy in many areas. There dining service and delivery system is quite effective, even more so than what military can do.
Huc

Postby Spoonbat » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:30 am

Think about all the military bases that were closed here stateside.....how many local jobs were lost because of that??

Come on man, you know where I'm getting at. :)

And I'm sorry but I really am burned out with politics.

I wish I could continue fighting with you as I used to take pleasure in such things but it is so draining......:P

Maybe clone will debate you if you know anything about SW convention politics or there's always an outsider chance he knows something about Aussie politics or that dazza will get a wild hair up his ass and discuss saffer affairs but I wouldn't bet on that.
Spoonbat

Re: .

Postby Huc » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 pm

Spoonbat wrote:Think about all the military bases that were closed here stateside.....how many local jobs were lost because of that??

The number of bases closed was done before the war, now they are more focussed on upgrading and expanding existing bases.

Maybe clone will debate you if you know anything about SW convention politics or there's always an outsider chance he knows something about Aussie politics or that dazza will get a wild hair up his ass and discuss saffer affairs but I wouldn't bet on that.

I agree dazza likes things up his ass. :lol: :wink:
Huc

Postby maverick88 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm

Glenn Beck has been foaming at the mouth for the past few weeks to a month over this video shown to children. In the video she states that it's the governments job to take care of you and I disagree with that, I think the government should give a helping hand when needed but I don't think it's their job to take care of me, so I agree with Beck on that point but being one of the many exploited workers I tend to agree with the rest of the video. I'm also not too sure about the stats she gives in the video. If any one has about 20 minutes to spare, watch the video and post what you think.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gLBE5QAYXp8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gLBE5QAYXp8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
"If it's Sunday, it's Meet The Press" - Tim Russert
maverick88

Postby JenR » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:41 am

i was recently told that the the new health care actually want people to die at age 60.
JenR

Postby Spoonbat » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:56 am

Apparently Nat's not the only one who's glad for the recession:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091030/lf_nm_life/us_money_survey

As for Beck, he's nutty but he does have good points on occasion. I'll agree it's not the govt.'s job to wetnurse us but at the same time the govt.'s job is to protect us on certain things.

After all -- should we not have an FBI? A military? Environmental and health regulations?

If there was no government oversight they could let food standards lax....imagine eating at Subway or McDonald's and they store your food in roach and rat infested storage areas.......without regulations they could do that and get away with it.

As for the current health plan I strongly oppose it, not because it's too strong but because it's just another corporate handout. It's similar to the car insurance law here in the US. It's the ultimate catch 22:

Well, sorry man, I lost my job, I can't afford health insurance.

Govt: Buy it or we fine you.

Sorry man, I told you, I'm broke, I can't even pay my phone bill for crying out loud.

Govt.: Give the health insurance company your money or we fine you.....

I favor what they have in Canada and Europe. Not that the health companies in this country would ever let them pass.....
Spoonbat

Postby buttsie » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:04 am

been that way for a long time Jenr...just looking from the outside...45/47 million uninsured...people driving to canada and back because its the cheap way to buy their life saving drugs....cost of medical services so high people simply choose to put up with the pain

That sounds like a recipe for people dieing well before 60

Thats all before Obama even begins his healthcare reforms

I dont agree with mandatory health insurance but at some point you need to fund the system

In Australia we have a medicare levy of 1.5% of your total wage over about AUS14,000...gives you access to public hospitals with no out of ocket expenses but elective surgery unless you go through the emergency department is a luxury you basically get in a queue an wait for your turn
buttsie

Postby buttsie » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:10 am

Rachel wrote:I heard that the Canadian government rounds up all of their senior citizens and puts them in death camps. Image

Their called nursing homes arent they?
buttsie

Postby buttsie » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:24 am

I agree and it shows how we value money more than anything else in society

This ideological position that everything must be paid for by the individual has serious consequences.

I'm all for medical people getting recompense for all the years of study but you've got to ask what kind of a society doesnt have a safety net for the vulnerable = the one thats dominated by corporations
Last edited by buttsie on Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
buttsie

Postby robot » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:24 am

That is awful. IDK what you guys are going to end up with healthcare-wise, but whatever you currently have just isn't working.

Rachel wrote:I heard that the Canadian government rounds up all of their senior citizens and puts them in death camps. Image

That's a pretty harsh term for the warmer US states, you know.
robot

Postby Spoonbat » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:25 am

What's so funny about this is that my cousin lived in San Diego up until about 3 years ago when he moved back home. His employer actually offered their employees health coverage in Mexico at a cheaper rate. Meaning you cross the border and get health care down there.

My cousin took it and despite what you may hear on talk radio, many clinics down there are top rate and actually cater to American patients.

The doctors are top notch, often trained at American medical schools and are too pricey for most Mexicans but more than affordable for many Americans in the border areas.

People often forget Mexico has a nice middle class and plenty of freeways, McDonald's, Wal-Marts, and just about everything we have here.

Racism and false impressions about their health care system keep many Americans away. It's not the best in the world but many of Mexico's best nurses and doctors live up on the border to cash in on the cross-border business.

As crazy as it sounds I usually go to Vancouver for my treatment, assuming my employer based coverage won't cover the expense.

But I went down there once with him and was shocked to see how neat, clean the clinics were and how polite and professional the healthcare workers were.

You can't believe everything you hear or see on Fox News.

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE57C40C20090813

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/business/20051016-9999-mz1b16mexico.html

http://www.newsweek.com/id/169827

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2009-08-31-mexico-health-care_N.htm
Spoonbat

Postby robot » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:32 am

brb fleeing oppressive winter conditions
robot

Postby maverick88 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:39 pm

buttsie wrote:been that way for a long time Jenr...just looking from the outside...45/47 million uninsured...people driving to canada and back because its the cheap way to buy their life saving drugs....cost of medical services so high people simply choose to put up with the pain

That sounds like a recipe for people dieing well before 60

Thats all before Obama even begins his healthcare reforms

I dont agree with mandatory health insurance but at some point you need to fund the system

I agree, plus so called "death panels" already exist too, if the insurance company denies coverage for whatever reason you're screwed. I also disagree with the mandatory insurance, how are you supposed to pay for it if you don't have any money coming in.
maverick88

Postby Spoonbat » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:14 pm

Never knew Danny Aiello(from Leon) was such a big Republican. A friend of mine sent this to me. Kind of surprised he's a Huckabee fan as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO-pwiVxbOM
Spoonbat

Re: .

Postby maverick88 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:34 pm

Spoonbat wrote:Never knew Danny Aiello(from Leon) was such a big Republican. A friend of mine sent this to me. Kind of surprised he's a Huckabee fan as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO-pwiVxbOM

I didn't know that either, for some reason he seemed to be a more liberal type guy to me.
maverick88

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic