Happy Happy Joy Joy

Anything Goes

Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy

Postby Dazza » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:37 pm

Rachel wrote:The mental image is giving me so much life rn

Can you guys genuinely explain what makes Windows 8 so great? Outside of the aesthetic, I haven't really been all that impressed with what I've seen. :\ I feel like I'm missing something.

Fuck the aesthetic. It's not about that for me. It's about the desktop side of things which is like windows 7 but better. Not massively better, just like windows 7.5. It's the little things like when you click dismount a USB stick it dismounts. Every. Time. No delay, no "sorry it's busy" "no it's not" "uh...we think it is". It's having decent security so I don't need to install 3rd part programs that hate each other. It's seeing an ISO and being able to mount it right just a right click, again, no 3rd party solutions. It's the awesome file copy graph that I watch with rapt attention for some strange reason. And of course who copying over many files at once is much less of a hassle. And the task manager which is so good I almost pray for things to be going wrong so I can use it. And the file explorer ribbon that was confusing at first but now is starting to shortcut so many things I do. Being able to PRINT SCREEN and have it automatically do just that and drop the image into your library. Being able to have windows refresh itself if something has gone horribly wrong, keeping all your files, settings and the like. The file history backup solution which allows you to roll back a document or picture that got corrupted or accidentally deleted, haven't used it yet but heard it works and will make life a lot easier when I'm editing and writing.

Finally, windows 8.1. It's taken long enough but they are now listening to their users and rolling out free upgrades to the OS that make it even better.

I could go on and on. I mean the real key is it's smaller, faster and more secure. The downside is there are some things that aren't where you're used to, and the start menu apps aren't for everyone...they don't mesh particularly well with the desktop "app". Although it looks like 8.1 will be taking some strides to improve that.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:45 am

Dazza wrote:
Rachel wrote:The mental image is giving me so much life rn

Can you guys genuinely explain what makes Windows 8 so great? Outside of the aesthetic, I haven't really been all that impressed with what I've seen. :\ I feel like I'm missing something.

Fuck the aesthetic. It's not about that for me. It's about the desktop side of things which is like windows 7 but better. Not massively better, just like windows 7.5. It's the little things like when you click dismount a USB stick it dismounts. Every. Time. No delay, no "sorry it's busy" "no it's not" "uh...we think it is". It's having decent security so I don't need to install 3rd part programs that hate each other. It's seeing an ISO and being able to mount it right just a right click, again, no 3rd party solutions. It's the awesome file copy graph that I watch with rapt attention for some strange reason. And of course who copying over many files at once is much less of a hassle. And the task manager which is so good I almost pray for things to be going wrong so I can use it. And the file explorer ribbon that was confusing at first but now is starting to shortcut so many things I do. Being able to PRINT SCREEN and have it automatically do just that and drop the image into your library. Being able to have windows refresh itself if something has gone horribly wrong, keeping all your files, settings and the like. The file history backup solution which allows you to roll back a document or picture that got corrupted or accidentally deleted, haven't used it yet but heard it works and will make life a lot easier when I'm editing and writing.

Finally, windows 8.1. It's taken long enough but they are now listening to their users and rolling out free upgrades to the OS that make it even better.

I could go on and on. I mean the real key is it's smaller, faster and more secure. The downside is there are some things that aren't where you're used to, and the start menu apps aren't for everyone...they don't mesh particularly well with the desktop "app". Although it looks like 8.1 will be taking some strides to improve that.

I'm a tad less enthusiastic than you, but I will basically sign my name to this.

The start menu and interface are one quick thing that turns people off, but they are not issues for me. And past that, there are just a million little subtle things that I like. The mounting of isos naively is a small thing, but it's sort of awesome. The screen capping...it's just nice.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby Dazza » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:11 pm

Yeah, for me the game changing stuff is like "shrug, okay" and the small supposedly inconsequential things are like "hell yeah!"

Still, Rach was talking about the price and personally it's just not worth that much. I would don my pirate hat if I hadn't gotten win 8 for a really good deal last year.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Dazza » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:51 pm

How about Ebay. Here is a bid with 2 days left and it's only at 10 bucks. And the seller has a 99.9% positive rating.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windo ... 43bcd5fb3b
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Extreme Allah » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Honestly, I've never even thought about upgrading an OS just to upgrade it. Someone gave me a W7 licence so I used it when I reformatted an old XP system, but I never would have paid to do that, and wouldn't have even installed it had I not needed to wipe anyway. But I'm a lazy Jew.
Extreme Allah

Postby Extreme Allah » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:09 am

Have any of you ever fallen asleep post-coitus, while handcuffed and wearing a mask?

My girlfriend has.
Extreme Allah

Postby Carlito Brigante » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:45 am

Dazza, just hooked up with a girl from South Africa. Been together a month. Awesome girl, man. Amazing sense of humor. She spares no time in making all kinds of jokes about African safaris and National Geographic. Just freaking hilarious.
Carlito Brigante

Postby Dazza » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Ask her if she wants to nibble on your boerewors.
Dazza
Site Admin

Postby Axwell » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:21 pm

Dazza wrote:Ask her if she wants to nibble on your boerewors.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Axwell

Postby Carlito Brigante » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:30 pm

Dazza wrote:Ask her if she wants to nibble on your boerewors.

Something tells me that's sort of in the same line as sucking my dick or something lol Sounds like a hilarious pick up line. I'll tell her.
Carlito Brigante

Postby Extreme Allah » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:41 pm

If there one thing I know about women it's that approaching a random stranger and asking her to suck your dick is a really solid cold open.

I am imagining a 5'-nothing Latino in a horrendous bar hitting on Yolandi from Die Antwoord now, and it amuses me.
Extreme Allah

Postby Extreme Allah » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:04 am

I'm sure the people of TX will find a fat, illiterate, hateful Christian who is up to the task of making you forget why you even minded Perry so much. The problem with living in a republican state is that most of the people are dead set on doing horrible things to themselves, no matter who ends up helping them out with that. The trick to avoid being collateral damage is to be straight and love Jesus. The rest should fall into place.

Edit: On the other hand, given the abortion climate there, you might be better off gay.
Extreme Allah

Postby Extreme Allah » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:48 am

Yeah, that's the case in most conservative states. I live in an extremely democratic district, and ATL in general is pretty democratic. I don't really know any conservatives anymore. The only non-liberals I know are like legit Randists, which really isn't the same thing at all. But statewide, we are bottom 5 for sure, in terms of progressiveness.

I've heard rumblings that TX is headed Dem thanks to its increasingly legal Latino population, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Mostly because as a population Latinos are pretty much conservatives on every issue other than immigration. I really don't see TX as a state that supports reproductive rights or freedom from religion...ever.

It's sad, because unlike GA, TX is such a strong state otherwise.
Extreme Allah

Postby quick_wit » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:07 am

So I finally joined a legit Atheist organisation and now an official Atheist.

But after a night of blaspheming and drunk karaoke, I just realized the gravity of my decision when I updated my status Facebook. I didn't exactly state that I am an atheist and I just gave the abbreviation of the organisation, but the info is out there. I suddenly realized that in a Catholic Country, coming out as an Atheist is a bit like coming out as gay. They're parallel in the sense that its a process. When you have at birth indoctrination in an environment with deeply rooted dogma, owning that non-belief takes time, tons of self-reflection, discovery and guts.
quick_wit

Postby Dazza » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:11 am

Yeah, it's a call each person has to make. It may hinder job prospects for example. But really, the only way to effect change is for people in whatever closet they are in, to come out. Doing so makes it easier for the next person and so on.

Unless you're in Bangladesh, in which case stay the fuck in that closet!
Dazza
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic